OT: Coronavirus XXI: School is Back in Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
The government and economy can't afford another shutdown. I believe schools will remain open. The 80+ year old crowd is the most vulnerable and 260 deaths in Alberta in 7 months. It's tough to justify shutting it all down again.

Reactions: AM and MesstoFace11

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
The government and economy can't afford another shutdown. I believe schools will remain open. The 80+ year old crowd is the most vulnerable and 260 deaths in Alberta in 7 months. It's tough to justify shutting it all down again.

They are the most vulnerable yes, but not the only ones, cancer patients/survivor, asthmatics, diabetics, people with autoimmune diseases like HIV/AIDS, those that have destroyed their lungs as it is through smoking/vaping, or any other number of preexisting conditions. One could credit the low number of deaths to this point due to the shutdown, otherwise, we may have ended up in a situation like Italy early on where our facilities that could treat the more serious cases are now overcapacity.

Am I advocating one way or another, no, but if things get worse and then out of hand I do not think any government will have a choice in the matter. We will see the temporary shut down of some schools on a case by case basis to start though. I suspect the first one will be in Edmonton, Calgary, GP, or High Level the way trends are going.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
They are the most vulnerable yes, but not the only ones, cancer patients/survivor, asthmatics, diabetics, people with autoimmune diseases like HIV/AIDS, those that have destroyed their lungs as it is through smoking/vaping, or any other number of preexisting conditions. One could credit the low number of deaths to this point due to the shutdown, otherwise, we may have ended up in a situation like Italy early on where our facilities that could treat the more serious cases are now overcapacity.

Am I advocating one way or another, no, but if things get worse and then out of hand I do not think any government will have a choice in the matter. We will see the temporary shut down of some schools on a case by case basis to start though. I suspect the first one will be in Edmonton, Calgary, GP, or High Level the way trends are going.

Schools on case by case basis sure but the average age of death is 83. Not 4-18 years old. Keep the young away from the sick and old and you shouldn't need another lockdown. Italy has similar numbers for deaths by age. If we aren't overwhelming the hospitals then I don't see the issues with resuming a more normal life.

The models were wrong as well which is more of a concern for the future. The fact the government administration was not even close on modelling makes me question a lot of people over there. Under a probable scenario, COVID-19 could claim between 400 to 3,100 Albertans’ lives by the end of summer, Premier Jason Kenney announced in a televised address to the province on Tuesday night. (April 14,2020)

Reactions: oilers'72

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Schools on case by case basis sure but the average age of death is 83. Not 4-18 years old. Keep the young away from the sick and old and you shouldn't need another lockdown. Italy has similar numbers for deaths by age. If we aren't overwhelming the hospitals then I don't see the issues with resuming a more normal life.

The models were wrong as well which is more of a concern for the future. The fact the government administration was not even close on modelling makes me question a lot of people over there. Under a probable scenario, COVID-19 could claim between 400 to 3,100 Albertans’ lives by the end of summer, Premier Jason Kenney announced in a televised address to the province on Tuesday night. (April 14,2020)

Obviously this doesn’t Apply to everyone, but keeping the younger kids away from the elderly is isn’t always possible for every family. Some families rely on (or relied on before this) on their grandparents for after school care. Others sadly are cases where the grandparents are the primary care givers for their grandkids.

With Italy they didn’t start taking extreme measures til after it firmly took root. We got ahead of it before it got to that point, otherwise I believe our model would look quite different.

Personally speaking I am not sure how comfortable I would be telling any group of citizens that their lives are expendable. I know we are not going to be able to prevent all deaths, but at the end of the day I at least want to say we did all we could.

There are other concerns I have as well such as the long term effects it will have on the younger and more resilient population that we haven’t seen yet, especially as a father of young children. While it hasn’t been as deadly for children, we still do not know if it will result in something else now or down the road (such as the spike in Kawasaki Disease in New York).

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Obviously this doesn’t Apply to everyone, but keeping the younger kids away from the elderly is isn’t always possible for every family. Some families rely on (or relied on before this) on their grandparents for after school care. Others sadly are cases where the grandparents are the primary care givers for their grandkids.

With Italy they didn’t start taking extreme measures til after it firmly took root. We got ahead of it before it got to that point, otherwise I believe our model would look quite different.

Personally speaking I am not sure how comfortable I would be telling any group of citizens that their lives are expendable. I know we are not going to be able to prevent all deaths, but at the end of the day I at least want to say we did all we could.

There are other concerns I have as well such as the long term effects it will have on the younger and more resilient population that we haven’t seen yet, especially as a father of young children. While it hasn’t been as deadly for children, we still do not know if it will result in something else now or down the road (such as the spike in Kawasaki Disease in New York).

It does get difficult, when the numbers rise in the community, to keep it away from vulnerable. You'll always have asymptomatic carriers or people who don't really know they have the virus going about their daily routine and they will come into contact with vulnerable (not just old but people with diabetes, asthma etc) people or with people who live with/visit vulnerable people. The more of those people you have out there, obviously, the worse it'll be for compromised people. It becomes impossible to keep vulnerable people safe unless you literally lock them down away from everyone else.

And yes, we should be gathering more data and knowledge regarding potential long term effects and how prevalent they actually are before claiming this is nothing more than a flu or cold that won't affect "healthy/young" people. It definitely has a chance to turn out that way (in that it becomes nothing more than a bad cold or flu) but we cannot say for sure as of now and early evidence tells us this is worse/more dangerous and we should be cautious for now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
With the wearing of masks, more education and knowledge of the disease, and protection of the elderly,I don't think you'll see the intense lockdown measures of last March.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just had the worst 2 days of Covid-19 active new infections in the world. India, Brazil continue to be exploding numbers. All of Israel, UK, France, Spain, Ukraine with numbers right out of control and all higher than anything they have seen before. Think about that. several of those countries were overwhelmed before, caskets everywhere. Now its far worse than ever in those countries. This exploding in many other Euro countries as well. Holland now seriously introduced to the virus. Belgium again having problems.

The last week has started to be really bad news re the pandemic. Relaxing restrictions not working, numbers exploding.

To put it into perspective for instance how much Notherlands is suddenly struggling they have more daily cases than Germany, and Germany has 5X the population.

India now within 1M cases as US and will certainly surpass that and with far less testing. This is a bomb going off in India and in a crowded country that can not do anything at all to deal with this pandemic.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
7vwen2ltijp51.jpg

Reactions: Oilhawks

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Im over 60 with pre existing conditions. I already lost one family member to this virus.
For me not having an office to go to after 40 years has been very difficult. As well as being technology challenged. I’m getting there though.
To help sleep I found melatonin gummies work well for me.
My dogs are great for daytime distraction.

Two new things that I’ve added are there are many cleared wooded trails near me. I try to walk there a mile or two at a time couple times a week.

Lastly in my back yard Ive put in 3 bird feeders. A squirrel feeder and a bird bath.
Its kinda therapeutic for me just getting some fresh air on the deck and watching them. I also placed them in a way that I can see them from my couch.

I’ve lived through a lot of things but nothing as odd as this.

Fellow poster on the main board.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Im over 60 with pre existing conditions. I already lost one family member to this virus.
For me not having an office to go to after 40 years has been very difficult. As well as being technology challenged. I’m getting there though.
To help sleep I found melatonin gummies work well for me.
My dogs are great for daytime distraction.

Two new things that I’ve added are there are many cleared wooded trails near me. I try to walk there a mile or two at a time couple times a week.

Lastly in my back yard Ive put in 3 bird feeders. A squirrel feeder and a bird bath.
Its kinda therapeutic for me just getting some fresh air on the deck and watching them. I also placed them in a way that I can see them from my couch.

I’ve lived through a lot of things but nothing as odd as this.

Fellow poster on the main board.
Feel for you, believe me, and sympathies to you over the loss of a loved one to this terrible plague. I'm glad you are able to find some comfort and solice in life's simpler things, like walks and enjoying nature. I am of the same vintage as yourself, and work part time remotely and the rest at an office, so I count myself very fortunate. I'm getting better with the technology too (lol), and I too find melatonin can work. And I am thankful every single day that we have our beautiful place out here at Trestle Creek, where there remains a high level of "normalicy" or whatever you want to call it. Good for the mind. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Let's all hope that holds true for this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Feel for you, believe me, and sympathies to you over the loss of a loved one to this terrible plague. I'm glad you are able to find some comfort and solice in life's simpler things, like walks and enjoying nature. I am of the same vintage as yourself, and work part time remotely and the rest at an office, so I count myself very fortunate. I'm getting better with the technology too (lol), and I too find melatonin can work. And I am thankful every single day that we have our beautiful place out here at Trestle Creek, where there remains a high level of "normalicy" or whatever you want to call it. Good for the mind. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Let's all hope that holds true for this.

Unless I'm misunderstanding that is not a first person post. The person that stated that posts on the main board. just for clarity.

That said I find just being outside in the sun doing anything, just contemplating, is important right now. Being in the moment important. Or just letting the suns rays relax you and fill you with the beauty that can exist in our world. The other day I found myself staring at the Ladybugs doing their thing hunting aphids. I love ladybugs and beneficial insects. We've had dragonflies as well. Usual spiders. Worms working the soil.

Heres one for this time of year. Go for walks watching the beautiful colored leaves coming down and making a many colored carpet everywhere. Walk on it, enjoy, it. just take the time. Unplug from electronics, experience nature, immerse in it. Try to get out of your own head. Thats a mini guided meditation. Time for another walk in the ravine.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Unless I'm misunderstanding that is not a first person post. The person that stated that posts on the main board. just for clarity.

That said I find just being outside in the sun doing anything, just contemplating, is important right now. Being in the moment important. Or just letting the suns rays relax you and fill you with the beauty that can exist in our world. The other day I found myself staring at the Ladybugs doing their thing hunting aphids. I love ladybugs and beneficial insects. We've had dragonflies as well. Usual spiders. Worms working the soil.

Heres one for this time of year. Go for walks watching the beautiful colored leaves coming down and making a many colored carpet everywhere. Walk on it, enjoy, it. just take the time. Unplug from electronics, experience nature, immerse in it. Try to get out of your own head. Thats a mini guided meditation. Time for another walk in the ravine.

You would be right.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I have 5 acres full of leaves that you’re more than welcome to come and pick up. ;). My daily walk is always the best part of my day. Practising basic mindfulness on the walk makes it even more relaxing and in tune with nature.

We always end up with lady bugs in the house in the winter, and we catch them and take them out to our shop where we winter some of our perennials.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I have 5 acres full of leaves that you’re more than welcome to come and pick up. ;). My daily walk is always the best part of my day. Practising basic mindfulness on the walk makes it even more relaxing and in tune with nature.

We always end up with lady bugs in the house in the winter, and we catch them and take them out to our shop where we winter some of our perennials.

Marathon of Jerry Springer sounds funner.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Just had the worst 2 days of Covid-19 active new infections in the world. India, Brazil continue to be exploding numbers. All of Israel, UK, France, Spain, Ukraine with numbers right out of control and all higher than anything they have seen before. Think about that. several of those countries were overwhelmed before, caskets everywhere. Now its far worse than ever in those countries. This exploding in many other Euro countries as well. Holland now seriously introduced to the virus. Belgium again having problems.

The last week has started to be really bad news re the pandemic. Relaxing restrictions not working, numbers exploding.

To put it into perspective for instance how much Notherlands is suddenly struggling they have more daily cases than Germany, and Germany has 5X the population.

India now within 1M cases as US and will certainly surpass that and with far less testing. This is a bomb going off in India and in a crowded country that can not do anything at all to deal with this pandemic.

I have not been paying attention on our numbers in Alberta lately but it sounds like opening schools, so far, has not caused as much of a spike as I thought it would.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I have not been paying attention on our numbers in Alberta lately but it sounds like opening schools, so far, has not caused as much of a spike as I thought it would.

COVID-19 school status map

The Incubation period was something like 2 weeks after infection iirc. We are now 3 weeks into school and currently have 35 schools that have reported positive cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad