OT: Coronavirus VII: No Unrelated Politics Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I know a lot of people are pissed at the WHO and are alleging all kinds of ulterior motives, but I have yet to see any compelling evidence that the things they got wrong were a result of anything more than a rapidly evolving situation involving a novel contagion that wasn’t behaving as expected. For example, a point in time report that they had no evidence of person to person transmission was a statement of the best of their knowledge at the time. Once they had evidence to the contrary, they said so and updated their guidance accordingly. If you read the article cited above, it seems clear that the Chinese government did everything it could to keep a lid on the true nature of the situation, and I have no reason to believe that the WHO wasn’t being misled along with everyone else. I’m happy to be proven wrong but almost everything I’ve seen re: the WHO’s alleged misdeeds points to “fog of war” kinds of mistakes - if they were even mistakes at all - that happen in the chaotic, early phases of a rapidly evolving situation wrapped in multiple layers of clinical uncertainty and within the borders of an authoritarian regime he’ll bent on suppressing unflattering information. It’s entirely appropriate to review their actions and ask whether they waited too long to declare a pandemic, but realize that they get criticized from the other direction, too - the WHO was roundly accused of crying wolf and overstating the threat of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic (I think it was that one - I misplaced the article). Damned if you do; damned if you don’t.

The WHO and Donald Trump couldn’t be further apart in virtually every way imaginable, yet they both praised China’s response to the COVID-19 threat early on. That suggests to me that China did a great job of pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes - at first. The interesting thing is that only the WHO is the subject of Trump’s ire, not China. One he can scapegoat with near zero consequences to deflect from his own failures; the other can push back.

So you dont think Trump is mad at China?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Over 7000 deaths worldwide again today... I was hoping we saw the peak and it would slowly trend down but maybe this bastard is getting a second wind.

It’s still on the first wind.

88FEC0B6-8096-4E9D-B4B4-FD64AA20FBDC.jpeg

345D52EE-AB7B-4F70-9378-AAD66BCCFA50.jpeg

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
can someone with more brain cells than me explain to me what the hell is going on in Lansing?

You’ve got a hot mess of folks who live paycheque to paycheque and are scared of losing their homes or going hungry, a large group of people who will lose the health care they desperately need if they don’t have health insurance through their employer, plus the usual mix of “Freedom cuz ‘Murica” and “Ooh! Look at me! I’m a rebel!” jackasses. We don’t have major problems with the second and third issue, but if this goes on long enough, the first issue will cause civil unrest here too.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its coming, when was the election again?
Sadly he's likely to win because he has a weak opponent and a very strong (if dumb) base.

It's kind of ironic, America elected Trump because they didn't want another politician... What they got was more politician than any Trump supporter would care to admit.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
For those wanting an explanation for Lansing, Michigan, its not terribly far from Flint. All those communities are probably on the same network of lead filled water lines

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Wtf are you going on about?

Confused, eh? Frankly, what I posted makes about as much sense as your brown-nosing (no pun intended, Mr. Nose) of Trudeau, who should have stepped down after the SNC-Lavalin debacle, or maybe after trying to ram thru a totalitarian change for unchecked spending and taxation a few short weeks ago. Also, let's discuss a legacy of corruption, shall we? Hope you haven't forgotten the AdScam of your precious Libtard Party under Chretien and Martin. Sorry to interrupt your constant bashing of Alberta and Albertans, I'll let you get back to it. :help::laugh:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Confused, eh? Frankly, what I posted makes about as much sense as your brown-nosing (no pun intended, Mr. Nose) of Trudeau, who should have stepped down after the SNC-Lavalin debacle, or maybe after trying to ram thru a totalitarian change for unchecked spending and taxation a few short weeks ago. Also, let's discuss a legacy of corruption, shall we? Hope you haven't forgotten the AdScam of your precious Libtard Party under Chretien and Martin. Sorry to interrupt your constant bashing of Alberta and Albertans, I'll let you get back to it. :help::laugh:
I wont disagree with you regarding Trudeau/SNC. Not sure how that absolves the total lack of Ministerial responsibility and corruption in Alberta over the past 30 years, & most recently in the past 12 months.
And the NDP were going to abolish private property?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
reports are coming out that due to a certain persons name being added to the cheques (US)being mailed out there could be a delay now and the system is not set up for that and now has to be changed to allow it

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
So Foxnews is now reporting that virus was created in lab in China
The virus being artificially created in a lab (i.e., bioweapon) is not supported by genetic analyses. Fox News (following a Washington Post report yesterday) have "sources" reporting that it originated in a lab in China. Basically, risky research starting in 2018 combined with sloppy lab protocols resulted in a natural virus isolated from bats spreading to an employee of the lab, who then spread it to the surrounding community in Wuhan.

Interesting path to be heading down with CDC oversight in China being cut significantly in the same year.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Better than a sheeple protest.

If the US didnt believe in liberty, after world war 2 there probably wouldn't have been alot of democracy and liberty in the world today.
It is a sheeple protest. Trumptard/Fox viewers are the very definition of Sheeple. No wonder the Dotard likes the uneducated.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Fair point, KellyAnne...

In all seriousness I do think the WHO has been unfairly targeted for the reasons you mention. Should there be an investigation into how they handled the beginning of this pandemic? Certainly, if anything to make improvements for the next time there is a potential novel virus.

Reactions: nabob and rec28

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
USA and France are half of them today. Death toll does not appear to be slowing down for either.

Watching the news and apparently the CDC is now going to count “Probable” deaths in addition to “known” deaths which should increase the death toll.

Also watch Brazil, Turkey and Russia. They are rocketing up the known cases chart meaning death rates should start to skyrocket in those countries in about 7-10 days.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I wont disagree with you regarding Trudeau/SNC. Not sure how that absolves the total lack of Ministerial responsibility and corruption in Alberta over the past 30 years, & most recently in the past 12 months.

I agree, it doesn't. But it's not just an Alberta thing (not saying that's your implication), it's what happens when one party has untested rule for an extended period of time (ex: 13 years under federal Liberals as pointed out, and yes there are many examples from across the spectrum, including Alberta PC). Not sure what the solution to that sort of corruption born of static rule is, but there is a good argument for electoral reform in Canada, provincial and federal, IMO. Maybe a term limit of sorts? In the case of Alberta, it's unfortunate that no competing party could provide a compelling alternative until the PC's committed hari-kari, it was well overdue.

No, they weren't going to abolish private property, it was an exaggerated joke on my end for effect.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Watching the news and apparently the CDC is now going to count “Probable” deaths in addition to “known” deaths which should increase the death toll.

Also watch Brazil, Turkey and Russia. They are rocketing up the known cases chart meaning death rates should start to skyrocket in those countries in about 7-10 days.

There was a large outcry among NYC medical professionals about thousands of uncounted deaths, owing to a significant number of people dying there before tests were available. As one can see, accounting for these ~3.7k deaths still only changes the death totals by about 10% so one is looking at the same order of magnitude problem.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

What's this got to do with the virus?

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad