OT: Coronavirus VII: No Unrelated Politics Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Over 7000 deaths worldwide again today... I was hoping we saw the peak and it would slowly trend down but maybe this bastard is getting a second wind.
Over 150,000 people die (world-wide) every day. In the macro view, Covid 19 (“unlike the previous 18 versions of the virus” - Kelley Ann Conway) is increasing that number by quite a bit.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Or, a citizen who is (right now) very angry with our leaders’ not following protocols?
Doesn’t matter to me.
In a war generals don't stand at the front line and leaders for sure don't. Leaders lead by request or order not by example. We're not talking about working on a jobsite here.

Leader needs to be healthy fresh and in the right frame of mind.

Edit: It would have shown better if he followed his rules for PR purposes but too much is made out if this.
Some of his dealings pre Corona are another thing altogether. Criminal actions in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Over 150,000 people die (world-wide) every day. In the macro view, Covid 19 (“unlike the previous 18 versions of the virus” - Kelley Ann Conway) is increasing that number by quite a bit.

Love how she spun her comments and tried to sell that she knew why--of course she was talking to "supportive" media so they did not ask WHY she said

Reactions: Luckylarry

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Some kind of moronic protest. When freedom means more than your life, it's time to re-evaluate.

America is such a bass ackwards country.
They have such a f***ed up interpretation of what freedom is. Being stuck in your house watching Seinfeld reruns isn't something to protest over.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Same as all the selfish assholes around the world. Not just Merica!

Sucks to lose a Year of McDri. Can the Oil claim some unforeseen event or some force mageure event that would give us an additional year on the backend?

I hope ya’ll are safe, happy and healthy!

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Heres an interesting talking point from CapX in the Uk:
"…there are no solutions, only trade-offs. There are costs to everything just as there are benefits and the task is to balance them… This is not to make the mistake of claiming that money, share prices and asset values outweigh lives. Rather, it’s to point that GDP is the sum of economic activity, production, incomes and consumption. If that falls 15% that means we are are all significantly poorer – and that poverty will kill people as surely as the virus is doing. …It’s also why the NHS limits access to treatments to those which cost less than £30,000 (or £50,000 for some diseases) per quality adjusted life year gained. …healthcare is something society spends more of its income upon as incomes rise. Naturally, a richer country will spend a higher portion of GDP on health care than a poorer one. …The optimal point is to balance spending on maintaining human life, while avoiding the damage to those same lives caused by a slump in economic activity. …The aim now is to…minimise overall deaths from all causes. To my mind, a six month shutdown risks missing that target by tipping the world into a depression that is more damaging than the disease itself."

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They have such a f***ed up interpretation of what freedom is. Being stuck in your house watching Seinfeld reruns isn't something to protest over.
I've seen people compare it to house arrest and other such things.

You know you have the freedom to live, right?

If I saw a protester here in Calgary I'd spit on them.

Reactions: frag2

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Doesn’t matter to me.
In a war generals don't stand at the front line and leaders for sure don't. Leaders lead by request or order not by example. We're not talking about working on a jobsite here.

Leader needs to be healthy fresh and in the right frame of mind.
Interesting analogy.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
I've seen people compare it to house arrest and other such things.

You know you have the freedom to live, right?

If I saw a protester here in Calgary I'd spit on them.
Did you see the people in Calgary calling it a hoax? Had a bunch of whacky signs set up.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
can someone with more brain cells than me explain to me what the hell is going on in Lansing?

Some gems in there.

One sign that says Gretchen = Hitler
Non-stop "Lock her up" chants
A guy yelling "are you Americans or third-world pansies"
Another sign saying "Trump lock up the Nazi woman"
A "no vaccines" sign

That's from about 30 seconds in the middle.

Super happy I don't have people like this in my life.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Some kind of moronic protest. When freedom means more than your life, it's time to re-evaluate.

America is such a bass ackwards country.

Better than a sheeple protest.

If the US didnt believe in liberty, after world war 2 there probably wouldn't have been alot of democracy and liberty in the world today.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Love how she spun her comments and tried to sell that she knew why--of course she was talking to "supportive" media so they did not ask WHY she said
I know it’s wrong to laugh at a moron, but I’m making an exception for Ms Conway. I really want to know where she learned that little tidbit of humour. No way she figured that on her own. She has a team of smarty pants people helping her.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
China and WHO - death of thousands on their hands!

China didn’t warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

President Xi Jinping warned the public on the seventh day, Jan. 20. But by that time, more than 3,000 people had been infected during almost a week of public silence, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press and expert estimates based on retrospective infection data.

China didn't warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

and then our Government sat on the info and said the virus is not a threat to Canada. China could have withheld that info for another months and it wouldn’t have mattered to Canadians.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
dlPhuOu.png

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some gems in there.

A "no vaccines" sign

To mock this scene further the source is the "Detroit free press"

Free to carry nonstop coverage of people protesting their free right to catch Covid-19.

20 mins before the NRA shows up and starts shooting the virus on site for invading their liberty.

If you told me this was going on and I didn't see it to believe it I'd be equating it with Lizard People. OK, I get it now...;)

Stupidity not isolated though. Reminds me of the UK hooligan that said he was just going to keep drinking beer until virus was dead. Can't touch this..

I was going to say I'm speechless with this but, WTF is in the water?

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Heres an interesting talking point from CapX in the Uk:
"…there are no solutions, only trade-offs. There are costs to everything just as there are benefits and the task is to balance them… This is not to make the mistake of claiming that money, share prices and asset values outweigh lives. Rather, it’s to point that GDP is the sum of economic activity, production, incomes and consumption. If that falls 15% that means we are are all significantly poorer – and that poverty will kill people as surely as the virus is doing. …It’s also why the NHS limits access to treatments to those which cost less than £30,000 (or £50,000 for some diseases) per quality adjusted life year gained. …healthcare is something society spends more of its income upon as incomes rise. Naturally, a richer country will spend a higher portion of GDP on health care than a poorer one. …The optimal point is to balance spending on maintaining human life, while avoiding the damage to those same lives caused by a slump in economic activity. …The aim now is to…minimise overall deaths from all causes. To my mind, a six month shutdown risks missing that target by tipping the world into a depression that is more damaging than the disease itself."
According to the IMF the world is already at that tipping point. That’s why every government is discussing restarting economies. For 100 years and more School kids will study this Covid 19 response, and debate its effects.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some gems in there.

A "no vaccines" sign

Free to carry nonstop coverage of people protesting their free right to catch and further infection rates of Covid-19. liberty to all virus, and bring back polio..

20 mins before the NRA shows up and starts shooting the virus on site for invading their liberty and lecturing all that all are beholden to them for existing rights and freedoms.

If you told me this was going on and I didn't see it to believe it I'd be equating it with Lizard People. OK, I get it now...;)

Stupidity not isolated though. Reminds me of the UK hooligan that said he was just going to keep drinking beer until virus was dead. Can't touch this..

edit double post lol and I'm free to do it dammit! hehe

Skar

Jul 2, 2016

Free to carry nonstop coverage of people protesting their free right to catch Covid-19.

20 mins before the NRA shows up and starts shooting the virus on site for invading their liberty.

If you told me this was going on and I didn't see it to believe it I'd be equating it with Lizard People. OK, I get it know...;)

There you go :naughty:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
So does WHO

my political views on Mr Orange is clear and people are tired of it, But I agree at him investigating why WHO got so many things wrong

As I posted earlier--I was supposed to fly into China on Feb 5th and I spent a lot time looking at what WHO was putting out there and I have a problem with all the contradictory reports they put out in Jan

I know a lot of people are pissed at the WHO and are alleging all kinds of ulterior motives, but I have yet to see any compelling evidence that the things they got wrong were a result of anything more than a rapidly evolving situation involving a novel contagion that wasn’t behaving as expected. For example, a point in time report that they had no evidence of person to person transmission was a statement of the best of their knowledge at the time. Once they had evidence to the contrary, they said so and updated their guidance accordingly. If you read the article cited above, it seems clear that the Chinese government did everything it could to keep a lid on the true nature of the situation, and I have no reason to believe that the WHO wasn’t being misled along with everyone else. I’m happy to be proven wrong but almost everything I’ve seen re: the WHO’s alleged misdeeds points to “fog of war” kinds of mistakes - if they were even mistakes at all - that happen in the chaotic, early phases of a rapidly evolving situation wrapped in multiple layers of clinical uncertainty and within the borders of an authoritarian regime he’ll bent on suppressing unflattering information. It’s entirely appropriate to review their actions and ask whether they waited too long to declare a pandemic, but realize that they get criticized from the other direction, too - the WHO was roundly accused of crying wolf and overstating the threat of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic (I think it was that one - I misplaced the article). Damned if you do; damned if you don’t.

The WHO and Donald Trump couldn’t be further apart in virtually every way imaginable, yet they both praised China’s response to the COVID-19 threat early on. That suggests to me that China did a great job of pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes - at first. The interesting thing is that only the WHO is the subject of Trump’s ire, not China. One he can scapegoat with near zero consequences to deflect from his own failures; the other can push back.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van

"WE didn't get the first 18 coronaviruses so why do we have to isolate for this one?"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I know a lot of people are pissed at the WHO and are alleging all kinds of ulterior motives, but I have yet to see any compelling evidence that the things they got wrong were a result of anything more than a rapidly evolving situation involving a novel contagion that wasn’t behaving as expected. For example, a point in time report that they had no evidence of person to person transmission was a statement of the best of their knowledge at the time. Once they had evidence to the contrary, they said so and updated their guidance accordingly. If you read the article cited above, it seems clear that the Chinese government did everything it could to keep a lid on the true nature of the situation, and I have no reason to believe that the WHO wasn’t being misled along with everyone else. I’m happy to be proven wrong but almost everything I’ve seen re: the WHO’s alleged misdeeds points to “fog of war” kinds of mistakes - if they were even mistakes at all - that happen in the chaotic, early phases of a rapidly evolving situation wrapped in multiple layers of clinical uncertainty and within the borders of an authoritarian regime he’ll bent on suppressing unflattering information. It’s entirely appropriate to review their actions and ask whether they waited too long to declare a pandemic, but realize that they get criticized from the other direction, too - the WHO was roundly accused of crying wolf and overstating the threat of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic (I think it was that one - I misplaced the article). Damned if you do; damned if you don’t.

The WHO and Donald Trump couldn’t be further apart in virtually every way imaginable, yet they both praised China’s response to the COVID-19 threat early on. That suggests to me that China did a great job of pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes - at first. The interesting thing is that only the WHO is the subject of Trump’s ire, not China. One he can scapegoat with near zero consequences to deflect from his own failures; the other can push back.

Respectively disagree

My view on Trump is clear--I am sure more than a few people here are tired of view on Mr Orange

I am talking from a personal perspective as I spent nearly all of Jan looking at what was going on using WHO as my main guidance. I was supposed to fly into China on Feb 4th 2012 and I am not happy with what WHO was doing during that time. I think they were afraid of what China may do to them or something and this lead them to put out contradictory information. It was the Thai authorities who actually gave me the most up to date information about what was going on in south east asia with the virus

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
and then our Government sat on the info and said the virus is not a threat to Canada. China could have withheld that info for another months and it wouldn’t have mattered to Canadians.

What should they have done and when should they have done it? In your answer, consider 3 things: 1) the Canadian government didn’t have any magical insight into the true nature of the threat beyond what was communicated by (then) trusted authorities and they acted according to those authorities’ recommendations; 2) both the US and Italy blocked flights from China early on - it didn’t help; 3) even now, knowing all that we’ve learned over the last 3 months, there are still people who believe that the government has already drastically overreached

Last edited:
Reactions: KenLinsemanFanClub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad