OT: Coronavirus VI: Keep it on Topic and Off of Politics, Politics Are Ruining These Threads (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thats correct. The vulnerable should self isolate.

In terms of familys....
What is happening with the existing lockdown measures if a child is vulnerable?

If anybody is sick, they need to self isolate for a couple of weeks until they recover. The vulnerable aren't isolated in this existing lockdown unless they were put in a home which is another issue altogether.

What you're proposing is that they isolate the vulnerable from everybody else until it's safe for them to go back out in society which could be months, all alone away from their family until further notice. At least now, families are together and protected.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
No just that me personally would not put foreign chemicals in my body no matter how harmless. As individuals we make those decisions for yourself. But if course if you are a vulnerable person you probably need to. As i stated me as a healthy person will not out that in my body
So what you’re saying is that your packaging should have a health disclaimer like a pack of cigarettes?

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
Good lord. I thought I made it clear for you.
Policy matters...there is no policy. So how are people supposed to follow a policy that doesnt exist?
You cant have people in some semblance of authority making up arbitrary rules.
That is exactly what happened there.

That is called chaos.

Ah, so the lack of specific policy absolves people from following guidelines regarding the spreading of the virus to others. Gotcha.

SEPTA had a rule in place for the wearing of masks at the time that passenger was removed from the bus. You failed to mention that. Yes, the rule was rescinded after the video went public but context matters. It was the policy at the time and not "arbitrary made up rules".

Philadelphia police enforce new transit mask rules, drag man off bus in viral video

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
lol WHO is a joke

the same Organization that said this:

oops

And then 4 days later they said they wont rule it out

WHO Does Not Rule Out Human to Human Spread of New Coronavirus

I mean, sure they dropped the ball, but at least they backtracked after

It is 10x deadlier. Whether or not you believe that is up to you, but for the numbers to be off by a factor of 10 would mean people are literally recording an extra 0.

Some here still think it's no biggie. It's like I said to others that doubt the severity of it - go catch it and report if it's 'just a flu'

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ah, so the lack of specific policy absolves people from following guidelines regarding the spreading of the virus to others. Gotcha.

SEPTA had a rule in place for the wearing of masks at the time that passenger was removed from the bus. You failed to mention that. Yes, the rule was rescinded after the video went public but context matters. It was the policy at the time and not "arbitrary made up rules".

Philadelphia police enforce new transit mask rules, drag man off bus in viral video

First off...there was no signage on the bus upon entering that a mask was required. The driver was NOT wearing a mask when he addressed the passengers so essentially he was potentially infecting all the other passengers on the bus.
Not all the cops were wearing masks when they forcibly removed the man from the bus.

The whole thing was a shit show of arbritrary enforcement.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If anybody is sick, they need to self isolate for a couple of weeks until they recover. The vulnerable aren't isolated in this existing lockdown unless they were put in a home which is another issue altogether.

What you're proposing is that they isolate the vulnerable from everybody else until it's safe for them to go back out in society which could be months, all alone away from their family until further notice. At least now, families are together and protected.

The point is that you threw up some scenarios about intra-family infection that has no bearing on anything.
It would be handled exactly the way it is being handled now.

Reactions: oilers'72

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And then 4 days later they said they wont rule it out

WHO Does Not Rule Out Human to Human Spread of New Coronavirus

I mean, sure they dropped the ball, but at least they backtracked after
they failed miserably

on January 28th, the Director-General went to China to praise them:
“We appreciate the seriousness with which China is taking this outbreak, especially the commitment from top leadership, and the transparency they have demonstrated, including sharing data and genetic sequence of the virus. WHO is working closely with the government on measures to understand the virus and limit transmission

WHO, China leaders discuss next steps in battle against coronavirus outbreak

yet another oops

but it's all good now, we can trust them

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
First off...there was no signage on the bus upon entering that a mask was required. The driver was NOT wearing a mask when he addressed the passengers so essentially he was potentially infecting all the other passengers on the bus.
Not all the cops were wearing masks when they forcibly removed the man from the bus.

The whole thing was a shit show of arbritrary enforcement.

Did you even bother to read the article I posted? It was the policy at the time and the officers and staff were following direction in place. You conveniently ignore that. I see people stand in front of No Smoking signs and smoke all the time. Same with able bodied people parking in handicapped stalls. Total disregard for signs. Can't tell if there was a sign on the bus or not but it was announced policy. Certain people choose not to follow the rules because it "shouldn't apply to me".

The priority here is that in a time like this people should be considering how their actions impact others. The City of Philadelphia is still strongly recommending that people wears masks on public transit to protect others and in particular their staff who are potentially sacrificing their own health to provide an essential service. The wanton disregard for the health and well being of others during these times infuriates me.

To quote the Mayor of Philadelphia - “Our SEPTA bus drivers are front-line boots-on-the-ground heroes who go to work every day and …. feel the need for protection,” Mayor Jim Kenney said at Friday’s news conference.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I meant that, like in the UK, their delay is going to end up making things worse and they're certainly trending in that direction still.

Their elderly population has already been hit hard and it's going to get worse with how many reported cases they have in their elderly care homes. I just can't get behind something that's culling the poor and elderly for the sake of an experiment.

We were talking about lock-downs 5 days ago. I got messages from all over, not only on a/this forum that Swe was locking down. I think that was the point (and I told you at the time). To be clear, there is no delay, they are sticking to their course. Some are saying though that it makes sense Swedes are doing the right thing, we're the most vaccinated country in the world, but without any mandatory vaccination...

Anyhow, the point is we don't need to put one country against another, or a system vs another. It is too soon. Fatalities are will be adjusted, a lot.

Didn't mean to call you out, well I guess I did :cool:. Good luck mate, we just got our quarantine prolonged until 3rd of May :cry:

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The point is that you threw up some scenarios about intra-family infection that has no bearing on anything.
It would be handled exactly the way it is being handled now.

How can it be handled the way it's being handled now if you're keeping the vulnerable home and sending out everybody else to school and work in your scenario?

If you're sending everybody out into public during the height of a pandemic, they are much more prone to infection so you can't just send them back home to the vulnerable after coming back from work/school, you have to isolate the vulnerable from everybody else. Right now, all families are together in isolation. It's completely different in your scenario when you're opening up the public to everybody but the vulnerable.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Then just look at the most relevant numbers: Alberta has a COVID mortality rate of about 2.6%.

The flu generally has a mortality rate between 0.1 to 0.3%.
that's just for people who've been tested correct? probably a lot more asymptomatic who haven't been tested would drop those numbers (and yes, probably some that are dying with the virus as well not reported)

Scientists can't yet say for sure what the fatality rate of the coronavirus is, because they're not certain how many people have become infected with the disease. But they do have some estimates, and there is a widespread consensus that COVID-19 is most dangerous for elderly patients and those with preexisting health burdens.

For example, in South Korea, which conducted more than 140,000 tests for COVID-19, officials found a fatality rate of 0.6%.

How deadly is the new coronavirus? | Live Science

Reactions: Luckylarry

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How can it be handled the way it's being handled now if you're keeping the vulnerable home and sending out everybody else to school and work in your scenario?

If you're sending everybody out into public during the height of a pandemic, they are much more prone to infection so you can't just send them back home to the vulnerable after coming back from work/school, you have to isolate the vulnerable from everybody else. Right now, all families are together in isolation. It's completely different in your scenario when you're opening up the public to everybody but the vulnerable.

Ripping apart families and having special quarantine zones to segregate society’s “vulnerable” sounds like a wonderful utopia. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Luckylarry

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
that's just for people who've been tested correct? probably a lot more asymptomatic who haven't been tested would drop those numbers (and yes, probably some that are dying with the virus as well not reported)

How deadly is the new coronavirus? | Live Science

How many infected people don’t get tested for the flu? I’d wager it’s a lot more than those who aren’t being tested for COVID. If anything, the mortality rate for the flu is overestimated more than the mortality rate for COVID.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
lol WHO is a joke

the same Organization that said this:

oops

Why?

They were presenting a member state study. It is what they do, WHO is not some supra-national independent body which can do what they want. They are paid by member states, and the said 1 week before this that there probably was a risk that this would become a problem and human to human infections.

Reactions: frag2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
To be clear, the WHO has the budget of a large hospital... But are responsible for the world. Easy to blame, and they won't defend themselves, because that risks funding...

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad