OT: Coronavirus VI: Keep it on Topic and Off of Politics, Politics Are Ruining These Threads (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
the difference being we have years and years of data to make a more precise estimation with the flu

The data is still subject to the same potential limitations year over year. If you’re going to describe a limitation of the COVID dataset, be prepared to describe the same limitation with the flu dataset.

There is no way that the rates are off by a factor of 10.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
again I ask, why should we trust them?

Because it’s a new virus with new information being changed on a day to day basis.

It’s how science works.

For example, in Alberta, they said they wouldn’t be closing schools down because it would be an overreaction.

Two days later, Alberta closed down the schools.

Should we trust Hinshaw then?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The data is still subject to the same potential limitations year over year. If you’re going to describe a limitation of the COVID dataset, be prepared to describe the same limitation with the flu dataset.

there's a lot less limitations when you have decades of datasets to come up with a solid yearly estimation

There is no way that the rates are off by a factor of 10.
but in South Korea, their mortality rate was 0.6%...not a factor of 10

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Because it’s a new virus with new information being changed on a day to day basis.

It’s how science works.

For example, in Alberta, they said they wouldn’t be closing schools down because it would be an overreaction.

trusting Hinshaw and the WHO are two completely different things...Hinshaw hasn't made mistakes yet

WHO literally praised China for its handling of the virus

praised them

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

It’s how science works.

“BuT THeY cHaNGed thEiR GuIDanCe aS NeW dATA bECamE aVAiLAble!! ClEArlY TheY dOn’t kNoW WhaT thEY’rE dOINg!!”

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
there's a lot less limitations when you have decades of datasets to come up with a solid yearly estimation

but in South Korea, their mortality rate was 0.6%...not a factor of 10

1. We live in Alberta, not South Korea.

2. There are indications that South Korea's numbers are off.

3. The prudent thing to do is to try and save as many lives as possible based on preliminary data, even if some of that data has flaws. You don't sit around and wait for an in-depth epidemiological study or years of datasets while the virus is spreading and killing people.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

3. The prudent thing to do is to try and save as many lives as possible based on preliminary data, even if some of that data has flaws. You don't sit around and wait for an in-depth epidemiological study or years of datasets while the virus is spreading and killing people.

well, you've seen some posts from around here and clearly, that's the least of their concerns
apparently saving businesses>saving lives

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
trusting Hinshaw and the WHO are two completely different things...Hinshaw hasn't made mistakes yet

WHO literally praised China for its handling of the virus

praised them

Why not? You could easily argue that Hinshaw waited too long and should have been more proactive.

You’re shifting your points here. You’re saying that we can’t trust WHO for changing their measures during an on going situation, even though every country, province/ state in the world has done the same thing.

It goes with the stats/data. If you’re going to invalidate stats for “how they gather” then you can’t use stats for another country. Be consistent.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
again I ask, why should we trust them?
You are acting as if WHO is a giant f*** up because they didn't ace the response to covid19. Which country did? To be fair, if you add together the countries budgets for health care in investigating new epidemics, the WHO maybe gets a 1% of that money. Let's be honest, this is a time where people should be saying wtf, how come we are not funding the people working with this more? How come we leave them at the mercy of their stake holders?

WHO objectively has done a good job this time, last time around (Ebola) they did not start out well, but managed to improve later on.

Anyhow, Trump thinks otherwise and since he has said jump, people are jumping. D
So depressing.

Reactions: PerformanceMcOil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
well, you've seen some posts from around here and clearly, that's the least of their concerns

I get that it's not a simple black and white issue. People's jobs and businesses are tied into our lives. These are obviously hard decisions. And maybe in years from now, the data will show that we overreacted. I'd still rather be safe than sorry when it comes to health. You can't work and make money if you're sick, dead or in the hospital.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
McDonalds worker testing positive is indicative of why nobody should think it safe to be going to drive thru take outs right now. This mode is being continued so that some businesses have some recourse to complete closure. Is it really worth the risk getting coffee, a burger etc? Geez, make your own. Additionally employees in fast food places, restos, wearing gloves don't make anything safer. It doesn't lessen contamination. That latex glove is probably just as good a place as human skin for contamination. Viable virus might even survive longer on that surface.

skip the dishes? Seriously, this is still a mode right now? This is multiple times possible contamination. This is WORSE than driving up directly to a take out. This is possible contamination by food prep, by food pick up, and by food delivery. With this actually sitting in somebodies vehicle seat through the drive. With the vehicle possibly contaminated. Plus this is somebody coming right up to your door. Think about it. You're stopping friends, neighbors, family from coming to door but letting some random delivery driver?

Stop being lazy, make your own food and drink. Best advice.

This is a test. Are you an adult, can you actually feed yourself ever? rant/done ;)

Ya I agree. There are still a lot of people rolling the dice eating out though (delivery, pick up etc). I know there are specific safety protocols each restaurant and delivery companies have but still... people f*** up regularly and or get lax with the rules and contamination WILL 100% occur at some points in time. You're just basically rolling the dice on whether it's your order and whether the viral load is enough to infect you. Guaranteed people have already been infected via eating out in the last month or so.

I'm even hesitant to get "no cook" foods like hummus or bread now... though i been only eating bread double toasted (toasted, then flipped upside down and re-toasted) and have been sitting out since purchase for a few days and the hummus i'll only eat on pita put in the oven for a while with cheese on top.

People are just too careless. A few days ago I saw this guy walking with his wife... they were at an intersection, he presses the crosswalk button with his bare hand and proceeds to scratch his nose immediately. His wife, wearing latex gloves was giving him the gears. He just shrugs like it aint no thang. Maybe 5-10 mins later as i drove back home and i saw them again walking still and they were both eating something like a muffin or cake... he with his bare hands (the same one he used to press the button) and her with her f***ing latex gloves on. lol. wtf. Seriously cat wait til you go home and wash your hands before you eat?? There are significant amounts of people out there that just don't give a f*** really about the virus or the restrictions. And i'm sure this includes a portion of those who work in restaurants and delivery. And as time goes along... more and more people will stop giving more and more of a **** about it.... until maybe the next wave really f***s s*** up hard.

Some people just have no urgency about things unless they can see in their own lives in their own "backyard" (city) how bad it gets. Like the virus would have to wipe out and kill 500,000 people in Edmonton before they start to think... hmmmm maybe i should really be careful now. Why not just be over cautious? Safe than sorry.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

this actually matters when shutting down an entire country

we don't shut down the country while 8,511 needlessly died last year from the Flu

(no, I'm not saying this is the flu)
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1310039401

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
You are acting as if WHO is a giant f*** up because they didn't ace the response to covid19. Which country did? To be fair, if you add together the countries budgets for health care in investigating new epidemics, the WHO maybe gets a 1% of that money. Let's be honest, this is a time where people should be saying wtf, how come we are not funding the people working with this more? How come we leave them at the mercy of their stake holders?

WHO objectively has done a good job this time, last time around (Ebola) they did not start out well, but managed to improve later on.

Anyhow, Trump thinks otherwise and since he has said jump, people are jumping. D
So depressing.
Anti-intellectualism. This one YouTube video I done seen.

People rejecting countless scientific studies on topics such as vaccination because of mUh BoDy nO ChaMiCuLs, etc.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010

So depressing.
Say this to the family's who have lost love ones cause of the WHO lies . Who are we kidding the WHO is so far up China's a$$ they don't know where China leads off and they bein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad