Player Discussion Corey Perry

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
We didn’t let go Perry, he just did what we would have all did in his position, he choose Tampa
Uh, no, that’s incorrect. We didn’t offer him two years and signed two other guys for similar salaries, while Perry went to Tampa after they got their deals and saw the writing on the wall.

He wanted to sign here, plainly said he wanted to be here and I would speculate that Bergevin went for Francos after he stepped in it big time with the Mailloux fiasco, to help soothe the local media folks that had the knives and pitchforks ready. Cost us a hell of a mentor/leader and future hall of famer that can still play.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So Bergevin never offered him a 2-year deal......lol. Clear that last year was an anomaly. And that Bergevin benefitted for a REAL year of you never know what happens...in a smaller calendar year, and in a total different division. That anomaly won't happen till he's here.

Reactions: Daniels45

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Im sensing we didn't offer a 2nd year

Yeah, its easy to read between the lines on that one.

When a team like Tampa offers you two years, it's a no brainer for Perry. That's two of the best shots you will get at the Stanley Cup, and as a bonus, he doesn't have to worry about going through this whole free agency process again next year.

Hypothetically, if the habs offered the same 2 year deal early in the process, I don't think Perry "jumps at it" without considering other offers. At that point, they still only check off one of Perry's boxes, with the most important box still unchecked (stanley cup contender).

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Easy choice for Perry. 2-year deal and the opportunity to play for a bonafide contender. It's the best chance he'll have to win a Cup before the end of his career.

Reactions: 1909

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
I don't think there was anyway to keep Perry if he wanted more than what the Habs were prepared to give and he found a team that was.

I liked him during the playoffs, not so much during his regular season. I'm not sure going fwd, he can be as good to warrant a 2 year deal.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Perry wanted another go with that group of guys he went to war with this spring. With Weber and Danault gone, that ship has sailed.

It's as simple as that.
I think Perry recognized how extraordinary Montreal's Cup run was and realized it was highly unlikely to be repeated this year. This is Perry's last 'dance' and chance for another Cup. We should be grateful for his efforts and leadership in driving the carriage until it turned into a pumpkin.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Uh, no, that’s incorrect. We didn’t offer him two years and signed two other guys for similar salaries, while Perry went to Tampa after they got their deals and saw the writing on the wall.

He wanted to sign here, plainly said he wanted to be here and I would speculate that Bergevin went for Francos after he stepped in it big time with the Mailloux fiasco, to help soothe the local media folks that had the knives and pitchforks ready. Cost us a hell of a mentor/leader and future hall of famer that can still play.

Edited. Not going to bother.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Thank you Perry, really loved what you brought to this team in such a short stay. Good luck in Tampa, we are coming for you ;)

Reactions: 1909

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Perry was awesome for us but his legs are shot, after an 82 game season there will be nothing left out of him. I like our 4th liners that we will have for the season. And I’d rather the chance of JY getting a few more shots. He’s turning 22 and after playing overseas for the past few seasons and last year being his first crack at North American hockey I think he’s about to break out

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
2 years is to long. He was slowing down in a shortened schedule, imagine a full season. I did like his short stay with us.
Agreed. I'm a big fan of Perry but I would not have signed him for 2 years, which are presumably going to be full seasons to boot as you said. I'm much happier with the Perrault contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad