Player Discussion Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I think dirk just meant those lines in general, regardless of wing position. I'm sure Perry and Ritchie would play their respective wings on that line

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Perry has never been good defensively, but this year he is putting out even less effort. There are times when he skates through the zone, loses the puck and just keeps on gliding. Doesn't matter if the play is going the other direction. His lack of effort even makes Getzlaf look like he is hustling.

John

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Perry is always going to be a player that needs good line mates to shine and that become very evident when we started putting Rakell on the line instead of Ritchie. I'm a huge fan of the Rakell Getz Perry line because of what it does to Perry. Put Perry on the third line and he is an average player. Put him on the top line with Rakell and Getz and he'll be up there with the league leaders in points. I understand balance between the lines is generally important but in some cases your team is just going to be better if there is some imbalance because some guys play really well together.

If RC keeps the lines as is then we have 2 great lines and just need to figure out this third line. I just don't understand why we can't trade one or two of our NHL ready young defensive prospects for a NHL ready young forward prospect. Vermette, Ritchie and a nice young talent would make that a decent line. IMO we are 1 trade away from a legitimate cup contending team.

How many of our young NHL defenseman are NHL ready? Montour is believed to be by a number of fans but we don't really have a clue until we see him actually play in the NHL. Theodore looked good in a number of games last season but this season he hasn't really proven that he must be in the lineup.

If we trade one of our defenseman prospects we better be getting a forward that has played some games in the NHL and been productive at a decent rate to go along with his potential to be a top 6 forward not someone we think is NHL ready and then possibly ends up not being NHL ready. Oilers made a mistake before trading for Griffin Reinhart they though was NHL ready and it cost them don't want us making the same mistake (but with a forward) if we trade one of our defenseman prospects for a forward prospect who is put into the lineup playing on the 3rd line that line better be getting a lot of offensive zone starts because it will have defensive problems.

I think we also need to improve our blueline some to be a legit cup contender rather then a paper tiger. Stoner/Holzner - Bieksa is a bad 3rd defense pair and our top 4 just isn't good enough to overcome them.

Cramarossa-Getzlaf-Rackell
Perry-Vermette-Ritchie

Would be interesting.

Don't like a line like that at all

Perry has never been good defensively, but this year he is putting out even less effort. There are times when he skates through the zone, loses the puck and just keeps on gliding. Doesn't matter if the play is going the other direction. His lack of effort even makes Getzlaf look like he is hustling.

John

Perry in his Hart season was good defensively and got some Selke votes for it.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Perry has 14 points, 5 on 5 in 35 games.
Getzlaf had 13 points, 5 on 5 in 32 gams.

Crosby has 28 points, 5 on 5 in 28 games.
Malkin has 24 points, 5 on 5 in 34 games.

Yes, that is what I expect from elite players being paid 10 Million a year.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Perry just still seems very disinterested on the ice. Yes, a great pass last night for the goal, but he still seems lost out there.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I didn't watch the World Cup but for anyone that did was Perry this bad and uncoordinated for Canada?

Perry has 14 points, 5 on 5 in 35 games.
Getzlaf had 13 points, 5 on 5 in 32 gams.

Crosby has 28 points, 5 on 5 in 28 games.
Malkin has 24 points, 5 on 5 in 34 games.

Yes, that is what I expect from elite players being paid 10 Million a year.

They're on the decline, the days of them being elite are over (Getzlaf might still be close to elite but Perry is not). The contracts they signed are based on what they've done not what they will do from here on out.

In re

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I didn't watch the World Cup but for anyone that did was Perry this bad and uncoordinated for Canada?

They're on the decline, the days of them being elite are over (Getzlaf might still be close to elite but Perry is not). The contracts they signed are based on what they've done not what they will do from here on out.

In re

Something is seriously up with him, He is to slow and his moves dont work anymore, Hes getting pushed off the puck to quick, Hes not going to the front of the net, Either he is playing hurt or just didnt put time into training in the off season. Sad to say, but he looks like Dany Heatley did when he started to Decline.. God I hope he doesnt become Heatley.. lol

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Something is seriously up with him, He is to slow and his moves dont work anymore, Hes getting pushed off the puck to quick, Hes not going to the front of the net, Either he is playing hurt or just didnt put time into training in the off season. Sad to say, but he looks like Dany Heatley did when he started to Decline.. God I hope he doesnt become Heatley.. lol

If he's going the ways of Heatley hopefully he can be dealt like Heatley was. Although it's tough knowing whether he is done or whether he's hurt/going through a rough patch. Until this year he's been a dominant goal scorer if you move him now and he puts up more 30 goal scoring it's tough to give up.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Hoping BM can get picks and prospects for Perry this Summer with no cap retention.

Just have to get Perry to waive his NMC.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
BM can call 29 teams + Vegas and find out.

I just don't get why we traded for and resigned kesler If our intentions weren't to win a cup, the window is basically closed with this core, we may stay competitive but no way do we have a team to win a cup.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
BM can call 29 teams + Vegas and find out.

I highly doubt they would move Perry. I don't think it's about declining skill with Perry, but rather an injury. If he was playing a similar style game to how he normally does, but not scoring or getting opportunities it would be one thing, but he's not playing in the same style he normally does. You don't see him pestering the opponents either, which indicates something is affecting him. It could be a lot of things (discontent with Carlyle, carelessness about the regular season, etc), but the most likely cause is he's trying to play through some type of injury.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He does have some Heatley traits.

I don't disagree that much but what in particular are you talking about? They're similarish players but I think Heatleys faults were far less correctable. Perry is a much better skater, agitater, passer, has better hands and can deflect pucks better. Heatley has a better one timer and shot, that's about all he's better at.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I don't disagree that much but what in particular are you talking about? They're similarish players but I think Heatleys faults were far less correctable. Perry is a much better skater, agitater, passer, has better hands and can deflect pucks better. Heatley has a better one timer and shot, that's about all he's better at.

I mean their decline

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Because I am an apologist to all my "teams"..

Corey Perry - 2015 through 35 games:

13 goals, 10 assists - 23 points(6 ppg, 4 ppa)

.65ppg

92 shots

14.5% shot percentage

Corey Perry - 2016 through 35 games:

7 goals, 20 assists - 27 points (.78ppg)

100 shots

7% shot percentage

2 ppg, 4 ppa

So what does this mean? Is he on the decline? The eye test?

Perry never really passed the eye test, he plays a lazy style of game that is super streaky. If my memory serves me correct, Kesler has replaced Perry in front of the net on the PP - and he's reaping those benefits. I know even strength scoring isn't where it should be, but in terms of overall scoring - its higher than last year. Rakell scoring 30 wouldn't mean we ADD goals to the team, he'd be taking some of Perry's scoring. If he was shooting at his career average of 14%, he'd be nearly PPG. Maybe he loses a few assists, but still over 30 points.

Just food for thought..

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The problem with Perry isn't the stats, it's the eye test. He just looks horrible out there, even though he's still creating chances

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Perry used to go around and through people with the puck on a string, this year bump him once and he loses it.

Perry used to have a hard, accurate shot that he could get off in any amount of space, this year he's slow to get it off and its significantly weaker.

Perry used to hit late, slash, fall on goalies, and otherwise troll the league, this year...meh.

The thing that concerns me is that he looks exactly like he did during the playoffs, when we assumed he must be nursing an injury. Which he denied, and then promptly went off to look like his old self in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad