Player Discussion Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't think he actively loafs it during games. I think his training regimen during the offseason isn't as good as it needs to be. I also think he's not the skater he used to be and doesn't have the agility to deke around guys like he used to do. I've never watched him play and thought "this guy is definitely not trying out there". I have said multimple times to myself over the last couple months "this guy is not skating at even an average NHL speed, and that's concerning for a star player". I know he's an incredible dangler in traffic but his ability to move the puck into the offensive zone and retrieve any loose pucks all but diminished the last month or two of the year

He's never been fast but the last couple months of his season he's moving around at Maroon speed and looks uncomfortable on his skates.

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
After watching his interview again after game 7, it really seems like there is something else in his life that's getting him. Something personal I mean.

I don't think it's a lack of effort, skill, or willingness to care. There really seems to me that there is much more happening under the surface right now.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
He got married last summer. Hockey's apparently just a job now. Show up, punch in, go through the motions, punch out, go home. Learning from his captain.

Oh man, If thats the case. His wife will be popping one out every year..

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
WTF?

It doesn't matter who he's playing with. His effort was 100% unacceptable. No other way to say it really.

His effort wasn't 100% that was on him but he also wasn't put into a good situation and that was on BB. No way should he of been playing with who he had been.

This line of thinking implies that he has a history of not showing up to start the season and/or being a no-show in the playoffs. That's just not the case with him.

Motivation is also making a big assumption, it's also possible that the team felt defeated after that Chicago loss, they may have simply lost faith in themselves (or their coach). Maybe I'm reaching a bit, but let's not act like the guy has been a floater for years or is washed up.

Yep who knows what kind of psychological effect Perry has had after the team had blown 3-2 series leads 3 years in a row before the Predators series started this year. Maybe he just didn't believe in himself and or the team in the playoffs.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Maybe this is a good thing. Sounded like Perry was really hard on himself for his performance in the playoffs, even was begging the coach to play him the first day he got there.

I think we're going to see a more motivated Perry next season.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Uh oh if team Canada sucks expect him to get blamed like crazy. If they win and he plays great then I wonder what happens. :popcorn:

His accomplishment will be diminished as having played with good players. It is already settled narrative that Perry is a lazy hockey player who disappears when it matters most, despite being known as a winner and leader at every amateur, professional, and international level prior to Boudreau's arrival.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
yeah not sure why Perry want to prove himself is a bad thing. feels like guys are just itching to throw those rotten tomatoes.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
His accomplishment will be diminished as having played with good players. It is already settled narrative that Perry is a lazy hockey player who disappears when it matters most, despite being known as a winner and leader at every amateur, professional, and international level prior to Boudreau's arrival.

What has he ever won as a leader since he was in juniors? He's certainly produced at times, but he's never been that impressive or been "the guy" behind impressive results when he's been one of the main guys rather than as a complementary piece. He was a passenger on the Olympic teams (especially the last one), and his previous WC teams have done horribly.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Experience had to have been the biggest factor in Perry being selected as captain- it's a very young team. Perry, Tanev, Brassard, Marchand and Talbot are the only guys born before 1990. Perry is the only guy with Olympic experience and him & Marchand are the only two who have won a Stanley Cup.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Lets discuss whats going on with him.. He seems like he is skating in mud half the time. Unmotivated, Even Randy called him out, Last night he didn't even touch the ice in OT.. Not a good sign for him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like this thread comes up every year... he is a streaky player... and seems to be a slow starter. We need him to be more impactful, given what he makes and what he is supposed to be there is no reason he shouldn't be a dangerous player.... and honestly I havnt noticed him all season.

Its unfortunate because its not even the type of contract we could move easily... or get full value on.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Perry is always going to be a player that needs good line mates to shine and that become very evident when we started putting Rakell on the line instead of Ritchie. I'm a huge fan of the Rakell Getz Perry line because of what it does to Perry. Put Perry on the third line and he is an average player. Put him on the top line with Rakell and Getz and he'll be up there with the league leaders in points. I understand balance between the lines is generally important but in some cases your team is just going to be better if there is some imbalance because some guys play really well together.

If RC keeps the lines as is then we have 2 great lines and just need to figure out this third line. I just don't understand why we can't trade one or two of our NHL ready young defensive prospects for a NHL ready young forward prospect. Vermette, Ritchie and a nice young talent would make that a decent line. IMO we are 1 trade away from a legitimate cup contending team.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Perry is always going to be a player that needs good line mates to shine and that become very evident when we started putting Rakell on the line instead of Ritchie. I'm a huge fan of the Rakell Getz Perry line because of what it does to Perry. Put Perry on the third line and he is an average player. Put him on the top line with Rakell and Getz and he'll be up there with the league leaders in points. I understand balance between the lines is generally important but in some cases your team is just going to be better if there is some imbalance because some guys play really well together.

I disagree completely. Naturally, if you put someone with Gets and Rakell, they'll score more points than being on the third line. Perry last year with Rakell were fine offensively, they just sucked on defense. Perry can carry a line so long as his center is defensively responsible. He got a lot of offensive zone starts with Rakell last year and it paid off.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He's a shadow of himself this year. Can't/won't fight through contact, gets knocked off the puck in situations where he wouldn't previously, isn't handling the puck well, is hiding behind the net instead of coming out to the front for shots, and isn't skating with purpose. He's even agitating less.

He's collecting points, but he isn't playing well.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I disagree completely. Naturally, if you put someone with Gets and Rakell, they'll score more points than being on the third line. Perry last year with Rakell were fine offensively, they just sucked on defense. Perry can carry a line so long as his center is defensively responsible. He got a lot of offensive zone starts with Rakell last year and it paid off.

I would say as a whole the perry and rakell line was pretty mediocre last year and with those two players on a line it shouldnt be mediocre. What got us out of the offensive slump was putting rakell and perry with getz and then getting perron. Before that the offense was not clicking at all. If you take out that stretch where perry and rakell played with getz im pretty sure his offensive numbers were very disappointing and like you said the defensive numbers were poor. With getz they can control the puck which indirectly helps the defense and without perron who was a perfect fit with getz i dont like our first or 3rd lines when you split getz perry and rakell.

Maybe it is just me but the rakell getz perry line just makes too much sense in my head.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
His passing is great this year. No idea what happened to his goal scoring ability though

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
There are a few games where he has looked extremely dangerous, but just doesn't score. Multiple grade-A chances.

They are kind of few and far apart though.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
I guess i am in the minority. I dont disagree, he has been invisible too much. But he has had lots of 'perry' chances. I mean he has gotten to rebounds, dangled and controlled the puck like few can. He is still amazing at playing the puck while fighting off opposition.

And he definitelly leads my list of olayers who score in unconventional ways.

Maybe his game and approach can change, but the raw skills are still there imo.

The new NHL is just a crapshot, pinball game of pucks and skates and sticks. There are so few 'clean' goals.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Perry has always been streaky. He's looked a little off/lazy this year but the chances are there. Once he pots one or two I can see him going on a bit of a tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad