WC: Corey Perry cheap shot on Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I've never, ever liked Corey Perry even a little bit. But is this thread for real? And people acting like it's worse because the player is young? Last I checked it's a tournament for men. I mean sure the play was unnecessary but what is hockey becoming if this is worthy of a thread of it's own?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Teams aren't dirty. Countries aren't dirty. Only players are dirty. Wanting to ban a whole nation because a few players do questionable things sometimes is not a rational or well-thought out idea.

I sort of wish they would, this tournament isn't considered very important in North America and the hockey isn't good. I enjoy seeing the weaker hockey nations developing though.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
It was certainly not needed, and I think Perry knew exactly what Ryan Rishaug was talking about when he asked him about it. Anyway, hockey is a chippy game, and these things happen. Although I do wish these things DIDN'T happen, but we see them so often, it just seems to be a part of the game. The thing is, I think the TC players were just trying to get to him, and get under his skin to knock him off his game. I don't think Perry meant to injure him at all. He just likes to be a crap disturber. So yeah, wasn't necessary, but not the end of the world either, as I've seen much worse go uncalled and unpunished in this tourny. I hope Perry doesn't do that again.

Huh? That play is to take out a knee, period. Big Buff is too little retaliation. Let Tony Peluso knock his lights out!

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Huh? That play is to take out a knee, period. Big Buff is too little retaliation. Let Tony Peluso knock his lights out!

If he wanted his knee he would of taken his knee, that was a warning tap if it was anything at all.

Unless Laine learns his place I'd be worried about Big Buff tooling Laine, not Perry. That is if the Jets even take him 2nd. Buff don't take guff from anyone, let alone some cocky Finnish kid with a chip on his shoulder. He's got to earn the right to chirp at vets, otherwise they'll need to keep the painkillers handy for him. Even Ferraro was saying he has a rep as coming off as being arrogant, I'm sure that'll fly in the Peg.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Corey Perry just might end up maiming an opponent one day. Of course, his true believer defenders will blame the victim.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
If he wanted his knee he would of taken his knee, that was a warning tap if it was anything at all.

Unless Laine learns his place I'd be worried about Big Buff tooling Laine, not Perry. That is if the Jets even take him 2nd. Buff don't take guff from anyone, let alone some cocky Finnish kid with a chip on his shoulder. He's got to earn the right to chirp at vets, otherwise they'll need to keep the painkillers handy for him. Even Ferraro was saying he has a rep as coming off as being arrogant, I'm sure that'll fly in the Peg.

Winnipeg knows stars and their egos. Hull, Hawerchuk, Savard, Selanne .......... That town will love this kid. I think they already do. Tony Peluso is paid good money to destroy anyone who messes with our stars. He is very good at it too.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Could you imagine this thread if he did that to Matthews?

There would be hell fire raining down from above.

US has already played Canada, something probably already happened but we didn't hear about it because Matthews handled it like a man. And if it didn't it's because he's smart enough to know not to chirp at or provoke vets when he himself hasn't even been drafted.

Plus Matthews doesn't have an army of fanboys crying at every perceived Laine-transgression to make a big deal out of it.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Winnipeg knows stars and their egos. Hull, Hawerchuk, Savard, Selanne .......... That town will love this kid. I think they already do. Tony Peluso is paid good money to destroy anyone who messes with our stars. He is very good at it too.

Like Evander Kane.

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013

And thats just bull**** that Laine would chirp his own teammates. Ive heard nothing but good things about him after he joined Tappara this season. People grow up, thats what they do.

And Laine indeed was not the one who started that ****, no sir it was grown ass men going after a rookie to throw him off the game, well how did he response? Couple of taps and playing his best game in tournament. Well played Marchand and co.

Sad to see some posters promoting dirty plays that in worst scenario might end up someones career.

Glad most Canadiens also recognize how dumb thing that was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Did you even watch the game :D?

Canada started it with Marchand from the get go. Before the game even started Marchand was yapping in Laine's face. Canada played Marchand against Laine so he could be in his face all the time.

And it wasn't just him. Perry and Hall with knee hits. After every shift Laine was on ice there was somebody in his face. Of course Laine responds to these.

I wonder how many hours Team-Canada watched Laine's highlights before the game but it was ONLY thing they focused in the whole game.

Well now they know how good he is. Hopefully they didn't get enough of Laine and will focus on him if/when they meet again in the finals.

So how did all that focus on a newly turned 18 year old turn out for us? 4-ZIP!

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
After reading all the hype around here and hearing Ferrraro's comments, I expected something horrible. Much ado about nothing for shin on shin contact during a change. It sucks that Laine was hurt a bit; however, that was such a nothing play.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
After reading all the hype around here and hearing Ferrraro's comments, I expected something horrible. Much ado about nothing for shin on shin contact during a change. It sucks that Laine was hurt a bit; however, that was such a nothing play.

Corey Perry is a murderer and all of Canada should be banned from hockey because of this play, anything less is total injustice!

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Pretty weak by knee to knee standards, but still very avoidable and uncalled for. Perry is a rat, and I do hope he has to stand up for himself one day.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
how is this thread still going? a semi dirty attempted trip on a line change. Perry along with his other Anaheim BFF are my two least favorite Team Canada players, but this is just hf hysteria on PEDs.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
This play? This play is what everyone is up in arms about?

Haven't been able to see it until now, but was reading the GDT yesterday and expected Perry to literally be on the ice with a saw, cutting Laines leg off from the reactions.

Is their a suspension? Was there even a penalty on the play?

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
I've never, ever liked Corey Perry even a little bit. But is this thread for real? And people acting like it's worse because the player is young? Last I checked it's a tournament for men. I mean sure the play was unnecessary but what is hockey becoming if this is worthy of a thread of it's own?

IMO there should be zero tolerance for things like that. It is different to injure some old player who has earned his money to live happily rest of his life but IMO it is completely different to injure young player who has committed his whole young life to hockey but has yet to earn his money for his hard work.

Of course the punishment should be severe in both cases but in reality it is different between young and old player.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
US has already played Canada, something probably already happened but we didn't hear about it because Matthews handled it like a man. And if it didn't it's because he's smart enough to know not to chirp at or provoke vets when he himself hasn't even been drafted.

Plus Matthews doesn't have an army of fanboys crying at every perceived Laine-transgression to make a big deal out of it.

Laine did handle it like a man. Painkillers and back on the ice. Didn't say anything in the media either. Perry even walked by him on the way to the dressing room and nothing. But yeah Matthews is such a big boy. Grow up :laugh: Matthews clearly was targeted by a potential slew foot. :laugh:

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Has the Finnish ambassador to Canada been recalled yet?

Surely, the UN must be considering sanctions.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It was an intentional dirty play by Perry, but he is know for these I guess. I don't think he tried to injure Laine, but it was still a cheap play.

Would I give Perry a suspension? In the NHL, with his history, maybe yes. Here, I don't know. I don't think he intended to take out Laine's knee, but that was not a hockey play and it was certainly avoidable on Perry's part.

And yes, it has been overreacted. By quite a lot. Had this been towards say Pyörälä, Pihlström or hell, even Koivu it would have been 2 pages of PGT and nothing more. But since Laine is the number one name in the Finnish media at the moment, and right there with Mathews in the hockey media that's what happens.

IMO there should be zero tolerance for things like that. It is different to injure some old player who has earned his money to live happily rest of his life but IMO it is completely different to injure young player who has committed his whole young life to hockey but has yet to earn his money for his hard work.

Of course the punishment should be severe in both cases but in reality it is different between young and old player.
NO THERE SHOULD NOT BE. Never in any league, competition or what ever. Are you kidding me?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
This is HF, Perry could look at Laine the wrong way and we'd get a thread on it because he's a top prospect, let alone a Leafs draft option and a Finn. So Perry's little trip on Laine is a thread while a headshot on Kuznetsov isn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Prospects are delicate little flowers that can't be touched or coached hard because they are all superstars! Until they hit 23 then they suck.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

The age thing makes that move even more pathetic.

Is that honestly the cleanest way Perry can go after a player, undrafted prospect, only way he knows how to get him off his game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad