What is Copp's future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
hmm Ates says it's less (3.9 left). Admittedly, Cap stuff is not my forte'

That’s with Beaulieu making $1.25M as the 7D. If they waive or trade him, there’s another $500K or so — enough to make Copp a decent medium-term offer (2-3 years for a little over $4M).

I doubt Chevy’s willing to let Copp walk just so Beaulieu can sit in the press box instead of Niku or Nogier.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It looks like we have $4,383,688 to sign Copp with, if BooBoo is moved. That would give us a full 13F, 7D, 2G roster.

Probably getting this wrong, but if we go with a 7 D roster, Wouldn't we be able to save an additional 725k if we remove Niku and don't replace him?

Morrissey 1
Schmidt 2
Pionk 3
Dillon 4
DeMelo 5
Stanley 6

Niku ($725,000) (725 k removed, not replaced)
Beaulieu 7 ($1,250,000) , removed, replaced with 750 k player (500k savings)

Wouldn't that produce a net savings of 1.225? And then we sign Copp for up to around 5 or so (not that we would got that high)

Or is it really an 8d roster that's the norm/is required?

Last edited:

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Probably getting this wrong, but if we go with a 7 D roster. Woudnt we be able to save an additional 725k if we remove Niku and don't replace him?

Morrissey 1
Schmidt 2
Pionk 3
Dillon 4
DeMelo 5
Stanley 6

Niku, Sami ($725,000) (725 k removed)
Beaulieu 7 ($1,250,000) , removed, replaced with 750 k player (500k savings)

Wouldn't that produce a net savings? of 1.225? And then we sign Copp for up t0 around 5 or so (not that we would got that high)

Or is it really a 8d roster that's the norm/is required?

That's pretty dangerous, we absolutely need press box material, or at least we do on the road. I'm not too familiar with the emergency call-up system, but they had the opportunity to do it last year with Heinola, but they didn't.

ElLoboBlanco

Jan 20, 2021
Copp is exactly the kind of player that should be traded at this point in his career and replaced internally with a cheaper option.

He's coming off a career year in points that he likely never reproduces. He's a quality 3rd liner but he sure as hell isn't worth more than 4M.

We have a bevy of young LW chomping at the bit for a chance in Vesa, Hark, Perfetti, Gus (three of which also play C) as well as vet Stats and Toninato to fill his spot.

He was a very good, serviceable player for us but his contract expectations have outgrown his value to this team.

Thank him for his service grab some picks and/or prospects and let another team take on a 5M cap hit for a 2/3 W/C.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm going to guess they meet in the middle, 3x4.125. Copp is so versatile and that's not going to change. Some people might scoff at it, but that's a ton of value for what Copp brings. He could get that anywhere else on his offence alone, never mind that he's a great defensive player.

Reactions: hn777

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Copp is exactly the kind of player that should be traded at this point in his career and replaced internally with a cheaper option.

He's coming off a career year in points that he likely never reproduces. He's a quality 3rd liner but he sure as hell isn't worth more than 4M.

We have a bevy of young LW chomping at the bit for a chance in Vesa, Hark, Perfetti, Gus (three of which also play C) as well as vet Stats and Toninato to fill his spot.

He was a very good, serviceable player for us but his contract expectations have outgrown his value to this team.

Thank him for his service grab some picks and/or prospects and let another team take on a 5M cap hit for a 2/3 W/C.
All of this is why he should have just been exposed. Appleton is cheaper with higher upside and faster. Now we lost Apples and Copp likely for nothing that helps us in our current window. And all of a sudden are forward group is not great nor deep at all

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Copp is pretty much getting traded at this point. No room to sign him, someone's gotta give. But on the upside, I believe we get a large haul for him.
I'm worried his reported contract demands and the lack of team control will affect his value.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
All of this is why he should have just been exposed. Appleton is cheaper with higher upside and faster. Now we lost Apples and Copp likely for nothing that helps us in our current window. And all of a sudden are forward group is not great nor deep at all

Why assume they take copp when they took cheaper forward contracts. I'd imagine they take Harkins over copp.

Reactions: Buffdog

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Sip likely agrees with you LOL.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Chevy should tell Copp they have enough space to only sign him at 4AAV. If they don't budge on that, trade Beaulieu and go back to Copp, then say ok...we can do 4.4 AAV. If sill no . then trade him

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I was watching a show maybe spitting chiclets and they were discussing players with arb hearings and they all said the arbitrator will def take into account it was a shortened season.

If copp wants more than 4... I'd deal him. With Perfetti not far away... anything over 4 for a 3rd line winger is crazy

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
There some wiggle room if the Jets trade Beualieu. Could offer Copp 4.4 then.

Or cant the Jets do this?: Sign Copp for 4.5/4.6 . Run with 7 D for the month of October (lose Niku, trade Beualieu, replaced with a min salary D)). Then they can get a pro-rated minimum nhl salary D In November to replace Niku as the 8th D. Not sure how much a 750 k salary reduces/pro-rates after a month but I'm guessing its in the 100 to 200k range.

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Unless Chevy has a pre-arranged deal with a team that's in the can, it makes more sense they would of traded Copp at the expansion/draft/FA period. With teams' rosters being more finalized by the day, it makes it harder and harder to do a trade. That's why I think its still 50/50 that we find a way to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad