Contracts - Nylander, Marner, AM

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
McDavid has 27 goals to Matthews 28 goals this year so I guess you could compare them as equals in that category but not points.;)

I believe Jack Eichel is the better comparable for Matthews and his next contract.

Jack Eichel 166 points (70 goals) in 197 games = .843 PPG
A. Matthews 119 points (68 goals) in 135 games = .881 PPG

So Matthews is closer to Eichel than he is McDavid as comparables at present. IMO

Matthews missing time now for the 3rd time this year, is not helping his negotiations this summer, so maybe he waits it out until the summer of 2018-19.

PS.. Matthews having a lower comparable then McDavid is a good thing for the Leafs and his next contract.
Curious are you one of the people who claim JT will get McDavid money? JT who has never scored 40 in his 9/ 10 NHL years.

How much do you think JT will get?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He is the comparable. We know what eichel got.

We know what pasta and ehlers got. It’s a
Valid question. If he takes 8 how can Matthews ask for 11?

A winger who isn’t even the 3rd the best player on his team is not even close to a comparable to Matthews.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If we are looking 8 years, at this point I think we are looking at:
Matthews $11 mil AAV
Nylander $7 mil AAV
Marner $7 mil AAV
-----------------------
$25 mil AAV

It would be nice if we could get them each at $1 mil less AAV, but I doubt it.

Reactions: Walshy7

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthews $11 mil AAV
Nylander $7 mil AAV
Marner $7 mil AAV
-----------------------
$25 mil AAV

IMO $25m is the max they could get but with Lou negotiating I think we get them between $22-$24m.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
IMO $25m is the max they could get but with Lou negotiating I think we get them between $22-$24m.
I think we could get them for a bit less if we go less term, but if we want to lock them up for the max 8 years, we are going to have to pay for it.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Matthews $11 mil AAV
Nylander $7 mil AAV
Marner $7 mil AAV
-----------------------
$25 mil AAV

That's what I've been saying since last year.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Matthews $11 mil AAV
Nylander $7 mil AAV
Marner $7 mil AAV
-----------------------
$25 mil AAV

What has Matthews done to earn $11 million?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Seriously? What is with the obsession of leaf fans so desperate to have “steal deals”?. Matthews is at least $11m player, only 40 goal rookie season and pace for it again your right what’s he done. Also you don’t pay for what you have done so much as what they will do in today’s nhl

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

1) Scored 40 goals as a rookie, and was on pace to do it again.
2) Led a last place team the previous season into the playoffs in his rookie season.
3) Is playing as a 1C against tough competition and thriving at 19 years of age.
4) Won the Calder.
5) On an almost PPG pace in his sophomore season while being keyed on by the competition.
6) Has been touted a top 5 player in the world by a number of coaches, media, players.
7) We are set to make the playoffs again.
8) He is doing all this, while dealing with and handling more pressure than any other player in the league given that he is in the Toronto market.

Other than that nothing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Curious are you one of the people who claim JT will get McDavid money? JT who has never scored 40 in his 9/ 10 NHL years.

How much do you think JT will get?

You're conflating UFA vs RFA re-signings here, which have different standards and comparables.

Matthews will use players that are/were RFA eligible like McDavid and Eichel and Laine for his next contract.

If JT made it to free agency then many teams might give him = or > McDavid, as such is the case as its inflationary process and abides by the laws of supply and demand, and its about how much a team is willing pay as opposed to other direct comparables.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
1) Scored 40 goals as a rookie, and was on pace to do it again.
2) Led a last place team the previous season into the playoffs in his rookie season.
3) Is playing as a 1C against tough competition and thriving at 19 years of age.
4) Won the Calder.
5) On an almost PPG pace in his sophomore season while being keyed on by the competition.
6) Has been touted a top 5 player in the world by a number of coaches, media, players.
7) We are set to make the playoffs again.
8) He is doing all this, while dealing with and handling more pressure than any other player in the league given that he is in the Toronto market.

Other than that nothing.

Pfft but did he get paid $8.5m to be a c but is used on mcdavids wing and still not be ppg?

Only 1 hat trick in 2 seasons not good enough

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Seriously? What is with the obsession of leaf fans so desperate to have “steal deals”?. Matthews is at least $11m player, only 40 goal rookie season and pace for it again your right what’s he done. Also you don’t pay for what you have done so much as what they will do in today’s nhl
Man, that's a nice life. I wish I could get paid a good amount of money for something I'll be good at in a few years instead of getting paid for what I have shown so far. Reality sucks :sarcasm:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Sorry, I don’t feel like getting ripped off. $11 million is what Matthews would be getting if he had a Hart trophy season with 90 points.

$10 million is more than fair for the 21 year old RFA, and to be honest, so is $9 million.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sorry, I don’t feel like getting ripped off. $11 million is what Matthews would be getting if he had a Hart trophy season with 90 points.

$10 million is more than fair for the 21 year old RFA, and to be honest, so is $9 million.

A subjective award is the basis for contract negotiations. I don’t get it $10m is fair but $11m is too much, so are you walking away from him if $11m is what it takes? You would piss him off for future negotiations over a million (not saying he would be but it’s very possible) this a franchise 1c we are talking about and you are putting up arbitrary numbers to support you reasoning. Very glad you aren’t in management

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Man, that's a nice life. I wish I could get paid a good amount of money for something I'll be good at in a few years instead of getting paid for what I have shown so far. Reality sucks :sarcasm:

It’s the tend in nhl post elc contracts forecasting is a major part of it

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
A subjective award is the basis for contract negotiations. I don’t get it $10m is fair but $11m is too much, so are you walking away from him if $11m is what it takes? You would piss him off for future negotiations over a million (not saying he would be but it’s very possible) this a franchise 1c we are talking about and you are putting up arbitrary numbers to support you reasoning. Very glad you aren’t in management

I’m not walking away. I’m getting it through to Matthews’ agent to take my very reasonable $10 million (maybe even $9 million) offer. I’m using my right as owner of Matthews’ rights to take advantage of his non-UFA status. He can play on my terms until he’s UFA. I’m not interested in overpaying like Buffalo and Edmonton does, because I don’t feel like being a bottom 5 team like them.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Hopefully we can get the trio locked up for under $24-25 million. That would be sweet.

That’s 100% doable, if we are smart about it and don’t follow Edmonton and Buffalo. Coincidentally, both fan bases want their GMs fired a year later, and one of their main gripes is bad deals to McDavid, Draisaitl and Eichel.

Funny thing is if they had just waited another year after their tire fire of a season, Edmonton could’ve signed McDavid for $10 million this summer, and Buffalo Eichel for $8 million. Toronto should learn from that and be smart about this.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Not saying Matthews ain't worth 11. If anyone on our team is worth the cash, it's him. Just crazy the money these guys make nowadays.

It’s not really it’s a billion dollar industry and the top player makes $13.5m, matthews is worth more than whatever he get imo. Spent 10 years hoping for a 1c we get a franchise 1c and people want to squeeze him out of a million or whatever, insanity. Let’s remember there was 2 seasons where there was talk of us trading for statsny he was never really even a 1c for crying out loud

Reactions: Menzinger

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

What you have to factor in is that you are paying him for ages 21-28 not ages 19-20. He may be that Art Ross, Rocket or Hart Trophy guy at 21, then you aren't paying 11, you are paying 12-12.5.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
What you have to factor in is that you are paying him for ages 21-28 not ages 19-20. He may be that Art Ross, Rocket or Hart Trophy guy at 21, then you aren't paying 11, you are paying 12-12.5.

I understand, but even so, $11 million is an overpayment. I could justify that amount if he won a Hart and 90 points this season, and if we thought he could continue to build on THAT. Future projection matters, but so too does past performance.

We’ll see what transpires, but given Lou’s history with NJ’s dynasty team, I think we’ll be pleased with the way he negotiates.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
A winger who isn’t even the 3rd the best player on his team is not even close to a comparable to Matthews.

Two players who have played the same a number of seasons with similar stats drafted one spot apart are comparable.

The c and w thing doesn’t matter for salaries. Jt and toews. Perry and Getz. Monaghan and Jonny hockey. It’s not a thing.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
My bet is still
Matthews 10.5 x 8
Marner and willy 6.25 x 7 each

This allows them to negotiate one at a time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad