Contracts - Nylander, Marner, AM

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Maybe I an wrong but I got the feeling some of your opinions helped pave the way for phaneuf to get that vastly overpaid contract that he is still riding

You're wrong. Davis Nonis was reading HF boards and decided Dion needed a 500k pay raise. Or , you know, he deserved a 500k pay raise? Which one is the correct answer?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He’s a restricted free agent, coming off an entry level contract, and only 21 years old. Edmonton paid him like he was an unrestricted free agent.

I believe Edmonton was desperate to keep him for 8 years at all costs, and had to overpay through the nose to do it. It’s not the most desirable location. But once Edmonton offered $100 million over 8 years, no 20 year old in the world could refuse that. And then Buffalo followed suit, thus warping the entire market. Or so it seemed...

When was the last time 4 players the calibre of McDavid, Eichel, Matthews and Laine all came into the league at the same time? (Hint - Crosby, Ovi, Malkin)

McDavids contract had nothing to do with Edmonton being poorly run, just like McDavids new contract had nothing to with Edmonton being terrible this season.

This new wave of superstars was the best chance for the players to bump up salaries again, evidenced by the fact that McDavids original contract was for the same 17.30% of the cap that Crosby got on his 2nd contract (before he bumped it back down to 12.5).

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
He will be the best player in the world ever to play the game of hockey
Your probably right , but that means Mathews won't be so everyone needs to put that into their calculator as well , will he be the second best player in the world ? probably not Ovi and Cindy are better so now will he be the 4th best player in the world ? Reality is he's a kid on an ELC who's has had some bad luck injury trouble and won't finish the season in the top 5 scoring or points , he may not crack the top 10 in either category , pretty hard to demand to be the highest paid player in the league if you aren't even in the top ten in results .I think he and his agent are going to put this on the back burner untill the middle of next season and pray he doesn't go down again , probably the same for Marner but I think the Leafs will try harder to sign him now that he is showing he is the real deal and his stock is climbing . Nylander has to be dealt with but I think we try to bridge him because like others I think the team is unsure of where they are going to be with him .

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs are going to get extremely lucky with Nylander's contract, just like we got lucky with Kadri's contract.

Nylander is top 30 in even strength points. Why is he not killing it in the stats department in overall points? He has only 7 PP points compared to 26 last year. His PP unit just never got going this season and it's affected Matthews and Nylander's overall point totals. They are absolutely elite on ES where most of the game is played but have not clicked on the PP.

If Nylander had the same # of PP points as last year he has 68 points in 67 games...AKA $$$$$$$$$$$.

Watch him get PPG next season when his PP points go back up. He has more EVP than guys who have 70+ points.

Reactions: Menzinger

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
The Leafs are going to get extremely lucky with Nylander's contract, just like we got lucky with Kadri's contract.

Nylander is top 30 in even strength points. Why is he not killing it in the stats department in overall points? He has only 7 PP points compared to 26 last year. His PP unit just never got going this season and it's affected Matthews and Nylander's overall point totals. They are absolutely elite on ES where most of the game is played but have not clicked on the PP.

If Nylander had the same # of PP points as last year he has 68 points in 67 games...AKA $$$$$$$$$$$.

Watch him get PPG next season when his PP points go back up. He has more EVP than guys who have 70+ points.

Nylander isn't signing here longterm.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Discordia, I kinda agree with you. Nylander might just want to bridge, hoping for a bigger payoff in a few years. Hey he might even go the Trouba route and wants to be a UFA as early as possible.

Nylander, needs to signed this year. 5.25m X 2

Marner and Matthews do not have to sign to summer of 2019.
Marner 6.9m X. 8
Matthews if signs long term 11m X 8 (unless he wants to bridge)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If they do manage to get him on a longer term deal it has the potential to become one of eb best contracts in the league. His even strength scoring has skyrocketed this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->