Contracts - Nylander, Marner, AM

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Time to revisit contract predictions - given somewhat cummulative underwhelimg performances by willie/marner

Willie haaving a good year but still only 14 goals.
Wohld be ideal for him to get signed at ok AAV. Athletic Toronto recently was saying 7+ mill AAV?!!

What do you think realistically will happen for the Big 3? Bridge vs Long term - Cost/term?

Comparables: pastrnak, ehlers, draisaitl,

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Willy 6.8 x 7/8 years
Auston 10.5 x 8
Mitch 6.5 x 8 if he wants to sign this season.
Everyone under 25 million.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Willie haaving a good year but still only 14 goals.
Wohld be ideal for him to get signed at ok AAV. Athletic Toronto recently was saying 7+ mill AAV?!!

What do you think realistically will happen for the Big 3? Bridge vs Long term - Cost/term?

Comparables: pastrnak, ehlers, draisaitl,

Think you've got the answer for Nylander's contract right there.

Personally I think they go for a long term contract unless they somehow manage to grab a huge guy in the next year. Then bridge deal to fit him in.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Matthews is going to get McDavid money for sure; certainly $12 million per year over 8 years. Why should he settle for $10 or $10.5 million?
Nylander gets at least $6 million per with Marner probably getting $7 million.

member 147413

Marner and Nylander have done nothing to earn more than 6mil per. Majority of years will be RFA and their comparables are right around that number.

Matthews, while amazing, doesn’t have the same ppg numbers as McDavid and Eichel, but is similar to Draisaitl is style and play. I think Matthews is better than Draisaitl and on par/marginally better than Eichel.

I think seeing as we are a winning team, in a market where Matthews gets 200k cars for free. He’ll take a pay cut around 9.5mil per. Maybe I’m being optimistic, but we tend to overvalue players and we’ve done well handing out deals to players under our control. Zaitsev is arguable, but he’s had tough minutes with a partner he doesn’t mesh well with.

Marner - 6mil x 7 or 8
Nylander - 6mil x 7 or 8
Matthews 9.5mil x 8

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Marner and Nylander have done nothing to earn more than 6mil per. Majority of years will be RFA and their comparables are right around that number.

Matthews, while amazing, doesn’t have the same ppg numbers as McDavid and Eichel, but is similar to Draisaitl is style and play. I think Matthews is better than Draisaitl and on par/marginally better than Eichel.

I think seeing as we are a winning team, in a market where Matthews gets 200k cars for free. He’ll take a pay cut around 9.5mil per. Maybe I’m being optimistic, but we tend to overvalue players and we’ve done well handing out deals to players under our control. Zaitsev is arguable, but he’s had tough minutes with a partner he doesn’t mesh well with.

Marner - 6mil x 7 or 8
Nylander - 6mil x 7 or 8
Matthews 9.5mil x 8
Yes please, dream come true contracts. Doubt any of those happen though.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Matthews is going to get McDavid money for sure; certainly $12 million per year over 8 years. Why should he settle for $10 or $10.5 million?

Why? He has a good chance to win a cup. Last time I checked, that matters to athletes. He can always be shipped to montreal if he wants more

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I know everybody (including me) assumes Matthews will sign an 8-yr deal. But isn't there a strong argument to be made for him to sign a shorter deal and hit UFA as he's reaching his prime years? What with the cap going up every year and all?

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I know everybody (including me) assumes Matthews will sign an 8-yr deal. But isn't there a strong argument to be made for him to sign a shorter deal and hit UFA as he's reaching his prime years? What with the cap going up every year and all?

Like Conor McDavid?

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I can see Nylander getting a bridge deal of $5M AAV x 3. Also see Matthews getting signed long term before Marner contract talks, possible Marner gets bridged as well.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I can see Nylander getting a bridge deal of $5M AAV x 3. Also see Matthews getting signed long term before Marner contract talks, possible Marner gets bridged as well.

Bridge deal gives the team little financial/cap benefit. He clearly has the talent to out play his bridge deal. Look at the Kucherov situation - doesnt look too good now

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Will / Mitch - 8 years x 6.5 Mil
Matty - 8 years x 9 Mil

Total - 22 mil per year

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Simply because he is not comparable to Mcdaivd? Mcdavid is a top 3 player in the world, matthews is a top 10 center. They are very apart right now. Matthews only has one comparable right now and its eichel. Eichel is more productive but matthews is better two way. Matthews should get around 9.5 million to 10.5 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad