Salary Cap: Contracts and Salary Cap (Contract Info in Posts #1 & #2)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Stepan should make either less than or only $100,000 more than Kadri?
Probably not, no. But should he get more than Couture? There are favorable comparables on both sides.

The ones that are not on bridge deals.
Yes, of course. Stepan knows that he's due for bigger money down the road, and he wants to get it locked down now. I don't think that's unreasonable, though I do think it's unrealistic.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Oh, speaking of which, I read that we only have $2.2M in cap left at the moment. That's with the demotion of Asham and Powe included I'm assuming. Any idea on who's being moved around for Step's cap?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Oh, speaking of which, I read that we only have $2.2M in cap left at the moment. That's with the demotion of Asham and Powe included I'm assuming. Any idea on who's being moved around for Step's cap?
It's not including them going down. That would open up another $1.85 million. So we good.

Mr Atoz*

I edited him out because he actually was heading to arbitration. But it worked out well for Dubinsky. The Rangers were offering him a 1 year deal for 700k and a 2 year deal for 1.8m. The ended up giving him a 2 year deal for 3.7m.

That was a rhetorical question that you obviously didn't pick up on. Dubinsky held out, got a bigger contract than he otherwise would have, had enormous pressure put upon him, didn't live up to it, became a focal point of controversy, and was shipped out of the greatest city in the world with a promising team and exiled to the worst city in the league to toil in semi obscurity. I wouldn't call that working out well.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
That was a rhetorical question that you obviously didn't pick up on. Dubinsky held out, got a bigger contract than he otherwise would have, had enormous pressure put upon him, didn't live up to it, became a focal point of controversy, and was shipped out of the greatest city in the world with a promising team and exiled to the worst city in the league to toil in semi obscurity. I wouldn't call that working out well.

Eh, there's always two sides of the coin. Subban won the Norris after holding out.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think Stepen compares favorably to Henrique and Hodgsons both who were in the same situation without arbitration rights, both signed 6 year deals.

I would not blame Stepan at all for asking for at least what those two got if not more.

No one wants to look at it from what could happen, slim chance or not, but if he signs an offer sheet it's bad for the Rangers no matter what. Any team willing to try it is going to try to structure the deal so it's as difficult as possible for the Rangers to match.

Say it's a two year deal, similar to ROR, it's going to be back loaded to increase the qualifier next time he is up for a contract. Just means everything is more expensive going forward. No savings

Say it's a longer deal, say he convinces some team to go 4 years to take him directly to UFA, no saving there either.

Rangers are gambling, the odds may be small but the longer this goes on the greater the odds become. Would some other team have a problem demoting their versions of Powe, Asham, Pyatt when they are allowed to so they can make enough space for a Stepan offer sheet? What if one of their players becomes seriously injured, in camp how about then?

If the holdout goes all the way to the start of the season once the cap overage goes away, that would be a good time for a team to pull an offer sheet. Rangers would have an even tougher time matching then without the overage cushion while still being able to ice enough forwards with the injuries they have.

Right now I speculate the only reason it has not happened is two part, one other teams are leery of making an offer because the timing is not right or they do not have the need, and Stepan wants to work something out with the Rangers. Either of those things change it's quite possible Stepan gets fed up and uses his leverage.

All that so the Rangers can stick to their "plan"

Last edited:

gmsniper

Jul 13, 2009
Ok so I don't know if this has been talked about or what, but I have been having this debate with another person. They are trying to tell me that sending Pyatt down is a waste of money. Every scenario I have run shows the Rangers having more cap space, but the other person is adamant that there is lost money, most recently because of bonuses.

Anyone have any thoughts?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ok so I don't know if this has been talked about or what, but I have been having this debate with another person. They are trying to tell me that sending Pyatt down is a waste of money. Every scenario I have run shows the Rangers having more cap space, but the other person is adamant that there is lost money, most recently because of bonuses.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I believe he would count somewhere in the neighborhood of $650k against the cap were we to waive him and send him to Hartford. That's his $1.55M salary minus the $900k or whatever threshold on contracts in the AHL.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I believe he would count somewhere in the neighborhood of $650k against the cap were we to waive him and send him to Hartford. That's his $1.55M salary minus the $900k or whatever threshold on contracts in the AHL.

This year in the CBA, it's 925k. So Pyatt has a 1.55 million caphit. If sent down (and unclaimed), he would count as 625k (1.55-.925) towards the cap. The true answer if the Rangers would 'save' money matters on the situation.

If Pyatt is waived and they don't replace him on the roster, the Rangers 'save' 925k. However, if Pyatt is sent down, and another player is brought up in his place, the replacement player needs to make less than 925k for the Rangers to 'save' any caproom compared to keeping Pyatt on the Rangers squad. This latter example, Replacement Player X Salary + 625k (Pyatt's caphit while in the AHL) <1.55 million to save money.

There are two types of bonuses, signing and performance.

Signing bonuses allow some of your salary to be paid at a your discretion (usually July 1st). That does not affect the caphit at all.

Performance bonuses are only available to players on Entry Level Contracts, over 35 contracts, and players who have played over 400 games, but were injured the prior season. Pyatt meets none of these requirements and cannot have performance bonuses in his contract.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
I love when people complain about Richards contract when we pay Nash like he is top 5 player in the league.

I know Richards is paid like a 1st line center which he is not but i find it funny no one brings up Nash

I know we didn't give him that contract, but i just think its crazy

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Before całlups, waivers and other roster moveMent we got:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.100m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m)
Arron Asham ($1.000m) / Darroll Powe ($1.067m) / Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Dan Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
Anton Stralman ($1.700m) / Justin Falk ($0.975m)
John Moore ($0.965m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,381,667; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $319,167

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I love when people complain about Richards contract when we pay Nash like he is top 5 player in the league.

I know Richards is paid like a 1st line center which he is not but i find it funny no one brings up Nash

I know we didn't give him that contract, but i just think its crazy

We don't pay Nash like he's a top 5 player. It only seems that way because his contract doesn't fluctuate any. We do pay him like a 1st line player, which he is.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Why is Brassard a RFA after this year? After this year he will have had 7 years of NHL service since his entry contract was 3 years and he received a 4 year deal at the end of his entry level contract.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why is Brassard a RFA after this year? After this year he will have had 7 years of NHL service since his entry contract was 3 years and he received a 4 year deal at the end of his entry level contract.

I was wondering the same thing about Boedker a second ago, but it appears that accrued seasons are different for FA status than for arbitration eligibility. As far as I can tell, you have to play in 40 NHL games for the season to count as accrued. He didn't hit 40 in either 07-08 or 08-09, although 08-09 might still count because of injury. So, counting 08-09, he's played in 5 seasons.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I was wondering the same thing about Boedker a second ago, but it appears that accrued seasons are different for FA status than for arbitration eligibility. As far as I can tell, you have to play in 40 NHL games for the season to count as accrued. He didn't hit 40 in either 07-08 or 08-09, although 08-09 might still count because of injury. So, counting 08-09, he's played in 5 seasons.

I think Cowen is the same situation.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think Cowen is the same situation.

Yeah, he's got 2 accrued now, because I believe last season's counts due to injury... 4 more will take him to 6 years. Although he's got a weird situation of having burned a year of his ELC despite only playing in the AHL playoffs. He doesn't turn 27 until January of the season following his contract expiring.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
With all RFAs signed, we can now speculate on next year's cap situation. Here's a quick mock-up I made on capgeek:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Jesper Fasth ($0.900m) / Derick Brassard ($5.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.000m)
Chris Kreider ($1.800m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.000m)
Marek Hrivik ($0.685m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.760m) / Danny Kristo ($1.200m)
Derek Dorsett ($1.633m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michael Del Zotto ($4.000m)
John Moore ($2.000m) / Dylan McIlrath ($1.295m)
Justin Falk ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
OTHER
Buyout: Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,880,000; BONUSES: $1,507,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,627,500

This is assuming a $70 million cap. Either way, with the buyout of Richards and the cap going up there will be plenty of room to sign all the key free agents. I think I was being more than generous here with raises. Obviously I don't think they will be playing 3 rookies on the 4th line, but this is just to show that there is plenty of room to sign a few FA's if need be.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad