Constructive Criticism of Peter Chiarelli

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I hate to say this, but our record will even out. Cambot played the worst stretch of hockey we've seen. That's normalizing now.

A lot of our players are better than their statlines show. We are dominating the league in advanced stats.

We'll be in the playoff picture by December.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He also for his own sake needs to stay away from Snow in like 4 years he gave up, Boychuk, Eberle, 1st, 2nd for Strome, Reinhart, 2 2nds.

Thats a pure garbage return.
the Boychuk trade wasn't terrible, considering he had 1 good year on the Island its been downhill since then...heck, the Hawks gave up a better player in Leddy and Bowman is considered a great GM

the Reinhart trade is indefensible...stunningly bad the moment they acquired him and looks worse and worse

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I hate to say this, but our record will even out. Cambot played the worst stretch of hockey we've seen. That's normalizing now.

A lot of our players are better than their statlines show. We are dominating the league in advanced stats.

We'll be in the playoff picture by December.

Really? I'm not so sure. I felt some players overachieved last year (ie Maroon) as did the team, especially scoring wise. They are probably a bit better than their current statlines show but I still see this team as having very little scoring depth and should be in the bottom third of the league in goal scoring. They may be dominating in advanced stats but can't create enough excellent chances or finish.

It actually reminds me one time of watching the U of A Pandas play a pre playoff prep game vs a bunch of older Phys Ed faculty beer league players. Pandas seemed to dominate the "advanced stats" but literally only generated like 8 shots and maybe one of them was dangerous and they scored on it. The older guys, while probably lower in the advanced stats generated at least 25 shots and numerous grade A chances and rang 5 shots off the post. They popped 3 goals. To be fair to the older guys too they had like 13 guys on the bench and the Pandas literally had the whole team of 20 girls. lol.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
He built a big strong slow team the year after a fast team won the cup. And then won it again. He built a team to compete in the division, this team as constructed would never sniff a cup sadly..

The trades and players he brings in aren't usually bad. He just tends to either... Overpay or give up way to much.

He also for his own sake needs to stay away from Snow in like 4 years he gave up, Boychuk, Eberle, 1st, 2nd for Strome, Reinhart, 2 2nds.

Thats a pure garbage return.

its just pure garbage period.

all those players are awful.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The teams D was three players deep last year. Sekera is down and Chiarelli needed to at least put a bandaid over that roster spot and did nothing. This shows misplaced confidence in under-cooked defenders like Benning and Nurse and middling role players like Kris Russell. Bad job by the GM.

The team has huge secondary scoring problems 5v5 last year. Trading a player who was good for 20 goals/50 points every year or better for a suspect player who had shown his base-line to be something like 30 points hurts more than helps that. What also hurts is his entirely too complacent approach to filling out forward spots with players like Cagguila and Slepyshev in spite of them demonstrating no real ability to score goals at a top-9 rate. I understand wanting to see what you have, but when a team that's expected to win has a hole, they don't NOT patch it so they can gift minutes all over the roster.

I know he knew all of this or recognized the possibility of these problems because he addressed many of them in his preseason interview with Bob McKenzie. He just... dithered and made poor choices. His next year needs to be better than his last one.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I will say while I was fine with the Eberle deal, I'm not sure why we didn't sign Vanek. I mean I was suggesting that from the get go, save money with Strome but then make a second move for a player like Vanek.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
By apologists you mean those that support his good traits, admit his faults, and sees how the remaining positive results in a best GM of the year nomination...

Need more of those on here.

Arm chair GMing is fun and all but when you just spin things however you want it's pretty pointless.

Reactions: OilDrop37

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I will say while I was fine with the Eberle deal, I'm not sure why we didn't sign Vanek. I mean I was suggesting that from the get go, save money with Strome but then make a second move for a player like Vanek.
Chiarelli is going all in for this group to be in the playoff picture come trade deadline. If they don’t, then it’s his bad he didn’t give them any help for the regular season. If they do, then expect the 1st rounder, other assets to be gone for the playoff run. If he doesn’t have a big deadline then he just wasted McD’s last ‘freebie’ year.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Russell is a black hole on defense. Thankfully he's signed for 4 years:laugh:

He costs the team to run around way more than any block shot he provides

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I wish I had a job where I could hide behind a child prodigy and do shit all while stumbling over contracts and still have people praise me. Chia has realistically done nothing but the Maroon trade himself, and there's people who protect him. He's a f***.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
That Russell contract is a beaut. Tell me more about how Reinhart is doing. Throw some Auvitu chips my way please. Pulju playing 40 games and f***ing up his RFA and ELC status' were fun! Oh, McDavid is on this team? Can't wait for the inevitable and undeserved praise he's going to get for all the work McDavid does by himself for this team.

Oh what's that? Talbot you say? Nah, that had nothing to do with Sather throwing his old team a bone. Sekera? Although he's the easiest quote to find that McDavid was his main draw to this team, Chia, the google image amalgamation of every sex predator formed into a single photo gets full credit for that.

Strome.

f*** this guy.

Edit: Do better.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm ok with the Russell deal so long as it gets moved in 2 years.

4 points in 9 games and an even rating playing no.3 minutes on a team that hasn't scored much before tonight is OK with me.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
That Russell contract is a beaut. Tell me more about how Reinhart is doing. Throw some Auvitu chips my way please. Pulju playing 40 games and ****ing up his RFA and ELC status' were fun! Oh, McDavid is on this team? Can't wait for the inevitable and undeserved praise he's going to get for all the work McDavid does by himself for this team.

Oh what's that? Talbot you say? Nah, that had nothing to do with Sather throwing his old team a bone. Sekera? Although he's the easiest quote to find that McDavid was his main draw to this team, Chia, the google image amalgamation of every sex predator formed into a single photo gets full credit for that.

Strome.

**** this guy.

Ummm, I don't want to be "that guy", but this is the constructive criticism thread. The drunken Chia rage out thread is thataway

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That Russell contract is a beaut. Tell me more about how Reinhart is doing. Throw some Auvitu chips my way please. Pulju playing 40 games and ****ing up his RFA and ELC status' were fun! Oh, McDavid is on this team? Can't wait for the inevitable and undeserved praise he's going to get for all the work McDavid does by himself for this team.

Strome.

**** this guy.
So no credit for the good trades but all the blame for that bad ones
Solid logic lol

Reactions: Former Referee 68

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
So no credit for the good trades but all the blame for that bad ones
Solid logic lol
Name them.

Larsson for Hall? Debatable, but fair if anything. No winning on this trade. Yakupov for scraps. Gross. Eberle for Strome. Less point, zero effectiveness. Reinhart for draft picks, one of which turned into Barzal? One of the worst trades in the last decade.
Talbot for draft picks? As stated earlier, Sather did this for the Oilers. Desharinais for Davidson? Yep, solid one there, although leaving Reinhart to the expansion draft would have no effect on us losing Davidson in the first place. If you're talking about "good trades", Maroon makes that list, but even he's showing his fading effectiveness, even though he's latched on the side of the best player in the NHL.

Don't try and point out a fallacy to my statement with your cute "lol" when you have nothing to back it up. It's gross.

But yes, constructive criticism. Try harder, you bald f***.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Name them.

Larsson for Hall? Debatable, but fair if anything. No winning on this trade. Yakupov for scraps. Gross. Eberle for Strome. Less point, zero effectiveness. Reinhart for draft picks, one of which turned into Barzal? One of the worst trades in the last decade.
Talbot for draft picks? As stated earlier, Sather did this for the Oilers. Desharinais for Davidson? Yep, solid one there, although leaving Reinhart to the expansion draft would have no effect on us losing Davidson in the first place. If you're talking about "good trades", Maroon makes that list, but even he's showing his fading effectiveness, even though he's latched on the side of the best player in the NHL.

Don't try and point out a fallacy to my statement with your cute "lol" when you have nothing to back it up. It's gross.

But yes, constructive criticism. Try harder, you bald ****.
Maroon was a big win, period; even if his effectiveness wanes we got our money's worth out of him and then some considering how low the original acquisition price was & Scrivens for Kassian was a solid win. I'd consider some smaller trades that netted us a few picks here and there for spare parts as wins, but they were fairly insignificant deals in the grand scope of things, but you never know when one of those deals will pay off.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maroon is on pace for more points this year than last year, lol, seriously a lot of people aren't even watching the games.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Chiarelli has no idea how to manage a cap at all and that scares me, he left Boston worse off and now it's going to happen to the Oilers. He's also one of the worst Gms when it comes to trades, when he does make a good trade it's usually a small deal and when he loses them, oh man does he lose them. I just don't see this guy as the GM that acquires the pieces to get this team a cup.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Name them.

But yes, constructive criticism. Try harder, you bald ****.

How is Hall For Larsson debatable? This is a win any way you slice it.
Yes I am sure a NHL GM is going to give up a #1 goalie to his former team to do them a favor...
Davidson for Desharinais is a wash
Kassian for Scrivens is a massive win and so is getting Maroon
Reinhart was a blunder but I still believe MacT was behind that due to the timing of the hiring of Chia and due to his obsession with Reinhart
Yakupov was worth less than scraps as well, just look at what St Louis got for him.
Strome for Eberle has been a wash so far in terms of player effectiveness as neither of them have really done anything this year. But when you factor in you can play Strome at C or RW and he is 2.5 mil cheaper then I would call this a slight win. Eberle was more of an addition by subtraction as Schultz was at the time of his trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad