OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I love Taker, and thought him coming back was a cool moment, but in terms of storytelling it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I love Taker, and thought him coming back was a cool moment, but in terms of storytelling it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Story is a year to late, but its clear this is a move to boost network subscriptions and try to raise RAW ratings (so far not working on the ratings front).

Same reason why Cena is going to be champ again.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Finished the HBO show The Wire a couple of weeks ago. Damn good show. Omar was my favorite and a badass.

Saw Inside Out and thought it was great too. Really enjoyed it and most people in theater were adults without kids which I thought was interesting.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Saw Inside Out and thought it was great too. Really enjoyed it and most people in theater were adults without kids which I thought was interesting.

It's kinda funny, I used my niece/nephew to watch Inside Out since I wanted to see it but none of my friends would go. Both of them were bored though. In particular, niece just turned 10 so she's already in the mode where she thinks she's too old to enjoy an animated movie.

When I dropped them off at my sister's, my niece put on an episode of Agents of Shield which eventually led me to start it on Netflix. Just got through season 1. So far I've enjoyed it. One of those shows that doesn't require your full attention, so I can be doing something else and have it in the background.

Watched the new Mission: Impossible. I suppose it was decent enough, but something felt lacking. In terms of enjoyment, I'd put it somewhere between III and Ghost Protocol.

My friend wanted to rewatch the other four before seeing Rogue Nation. The first one is almost a weird time capsule since it was almost 20 years ago. It holds up well except for the computer scenes.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Little Music here.

Went to see Sublime with Rome yesterday with Rebelution and Pepper on the card in Charlotte. I have seen Sublime with Rome before, so I was anxious to see how this tour would go. The first time I saw them they were good. This time around they were also good, as long as you take it for what it is, a good cover band now. I have listened to the new SWR Sirens album and have not been all that impressed. Some of the transitions are very questionable, and obviously is not your typical old sublime. The show itself seemed to have everyone bumpin, but this go around the only original member playing was the bassist (drummer decided not to tour for personal reasons), who seemed disinterested. So I was not into it as much as I should have been. Maybe I am a purist in this case… I wish I was more into it… Luckily they didn’t play much new stuff, so it really was like a cover. Rome’s voice is very comparable, just wish is songwriting was.

Rebelution was really good. This was a band I was looking forward to seeing, and they sounded great. I love bands that use the reggae/Ska with horns and all. I was glad they played more of their uptempo songs rather than some of the slower, whinier songs. They had a seemingly younger following of stoners which you would expect with the reggae tones. While their new album is good, its not as good as the last one I’d say. Buit hey were someone I def go see again

Pepper…….Man I love these guys. From the music, to personality, to stage presence, they bring it. They came on earlier @ 7:30 but I could seriously have seen them headlining it and killing it with the larger crowd. They just seem to be having fun on stage and it shows. They get the crowd involved and at one point broke out mid song into a Slightly Stoopid song…… And followed with saying they miss touring with them…

Not sure where or why, but I wanted to post my thoughts.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

What a disaster RAW was this week. More boring Orton ad RKOs out of no where (way to ruin a fun meme). And both main eventers not even there. Just some decent video package to try and hype this (and pretend Taker didn't wrestle at WM this year apparently).

All hands on deck next week so hopefully they can actually tell this story.

Meanwhile they couldn't of made the actual Champ look any weaker and the entire SS card looks rather weak right now.

It's sad I'm most excited about New Day potentially winning the tag titles as the highlight of SS

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
New Day is doing such a great job after being handed an awful gimmick.

I'm debating doing Mania this year. Still kinda kicking myself for not doing last year in SF which would have been an easy plane flight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
New Day is doing such a great job after being handed an awful gimmick.

I'm debating doing Mania this year. Still kinda kicking myself for not doing last year in SF which would have been an easy plane flight.

Thank god they made them heel. Now the gimmick works great. They are hilarious trolls right now.

I debated doing SS, and the chance to see Taker live for one of the last times ever is REALLY tempting but I just couldn't afford it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thank god they made them heel. Now the gimmick works great. They are hilarious trolls right now.

I debated doing SS, and the chance to see Taker live for one of the last times ever is REALLY tempting but I just couldn't afford it.

I was in the area for work and went to a house show in Brooklyn back in March (and I learned to never spend money on a house show again). After the show they started selling SS tix which in retrospect I should have snagged. The NXT show the night before (or maybe it's Friday) might be pretty awesome too. Haven't checked for a couple weeks, but it might be sold out now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was in the area for work and went to a house show in Brooklyn back in March (and I learned to never spend money on a house show again). After the show they started selling SS tix which in retrospect I should have snagged. The NXT show the night before (or maybe it's Friday) might be pretty awesome too. Haven't checked for a couple weeks, but it might be sold out now.

Ya it is sold out. RAW the following night is as well I think.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
What a disaster RAW was this week. More boring Orton ad RKOs out of no where (way to ruin a fun meme). And both main eventers not even there. Just some decent video package to try and hype this (and pretend Taker didn't wrestle at WM this year apparently).

All hands on deck next week so hopefully they can actually tell this story.

Meanwhile they couldn't of made the actual Champ look any weaker and the entire SS card looks rather weak right now.

It's sad I'm most excited about New Day potentially winning the tag titles as the highlight of SS

To be honest I have been off wwe the last few weeks. Probably will just watch summerslam. The paper views will rehash the previous raws anyway. They always do a compilation before the matches. Also Raw needs to get rid of that red lighting in the background that hovers over the crowd. It really depresses the mood. Watch previous raws and compare with these newer ones.

Here is the New Jersey crowd:laugh: with some great chants but still with the lighting.

Here is a clip from the last raw. The lighting basically takes uo three quarters of the crowd.

Here is the old school episode they made 2 years ago with out the lighting and change of rope color:

Last edited:

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
You know what kills the crowd. Watching super cena and non combatant main eventers. I just shake my head knowing Bray would at leas t make up a entertaining story with Lesner. Ziggler Rollins would be a great match.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You know what kills the crowd. Watching super cena and non combatant main eventers. I just shake my head knowing Bray would at leas t make up a entertaining story with Lesner. Ziggler Rollins would be a great match.

I think Ziggler Rusev could of been a good story if they didn't focus so much on Lana. Rusev is being utterly wasted.

I did die laughing when the flag with his face came out.

To Cena's credit. His open challenge was giving some of the best wrestling seen in a while. Was the best thing going honestly. Just making Rollins look like **** and the inevitable "LOL Cena wins" at Summer slam is depressing. Cena had a great feud with Kevin Owens too but some in creative hate him and are legit trying to bury him.

Summerslam is going to be interesting. Crowds in this area (it's in Brooklyn) are really smarky and tend to go into business for themselves. Easily seen them turning on a few of the matches (Rollins vs Cena).

I don't think they will turn on taker vs Lesner. Every wrestling fan still marks for Taker even though he is older then dirt now. And everyone loves Lesner right now

They miss DAnial Bryan badly. I hope he can wrestle again

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Finished the HBO show The Wire a couple of weeks ago. Damn good show. Omar was my favorite and a badass.

Yeah, it's one of the the best series ever made in my opinion, and Omar Little is one of the most memorable characters of all-time.

NorwegianDevil

Jul 13, 2012
Trondheim, Norway
You can't watch something that isn't "real" and enjoy it?

Of course, you can enjoy it!
But isnt the outcome/winner already settled before the fight starts? Even though you dont know the outcome, that should take some of the fun outta it?!
I saw this documentary one time where a dude from high up in the wrestling scene showed us what happened in the ring as the fight was going on and its like watching an improvised play going on.

Also, the " stomp ur feet on the floor " when u " hit " a guy with ur arm is kinda meh.

CS:GO any1?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Of course, you can enjoy it!
But isnt the outcome/winner already settled before the fight starts? Even though you dont know the outcome, that should take some of the fun outta it?!
I saw this documentary one time where a dude from high up in the wrestling scene showed us what happened in the ring as the fight was going on and its like watching an improvised play going on.

Also, the " stomp ur feet on the floor " when u " hit " a guy with ur arm is kinda meh.

CS:GO any1?

You watch it for the story. It is like a soup opera with violence and wrestling.

And don't undersell it. The stories and outcomes are written, but the in ring stuff is pretty real. These guys are athletes that put their bodies on the line to do crazy stunts that can and does get themselves hurt if it goes wrong (and sometimes when it goes right).

Take an older match from the 90s. Undertaker vs. Mankind in Hell in the Cell. While some of the spots were pre-planned, Mankind (real name Mick Foley) legit hurt himself in a number of ways, and there was a botched spot (something went wrong) where the top of the cage broke when it wasn't supposed to and he fell an good 15 feet. To his credit he finished the match.

Or a recent example. John Cena legit took a knee to the face that broke his nose. His face was really ****ed up. The writers the next week decided to work the very real broken nose into his storyline going forward, but his face blowing up like a balloon was real.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
People over 12 watch wrestling and thinks its real?!

It's a tough one to explain to friends who didn't grow up with it. None of us really watch it as a legitimate competition per se. Fans complain about storylines like any scripted TV show. Nobody criticizes Breaking Bad by saying Bryan Cranston is just an actor and not an actual meth dealer. But you might criticize the show by saying Aunt Marie is getting too much screen time and her character doesn't add anything.

Way back when, I think somebody did a breakdown and out of a 2 hour show there might only be about 40 minutes of actual in ring action. There's humor to be had. Some of my favorite moments don't necessarily involve matches or pinfalls.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's really no different than watching any other TV show. A show like The Walking Dead or GOT isn't "real", yet millions of people enjoy watching them. And by no means am I comparing the quality of wrestling to those shows, but it's still entertainment. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but what is?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh I'm kind of over wrestling. I just can't get into it anymore. It's not even because I got old, some of the best WWE stuff I saw was in my early adult years actually. I will watch once in a while and attend once in a while with a buddy who has no one to go with. I've seen some Raw's and house shows over the years.

I really was a big CM Punk fan, though I kinda fell out of it when he left not too far back. I was also annoyed by several things I really saw as cheap. The Rock getting a title reign and only having a couple matches. The Undertaker jobbing his streak to Lesnar, which I know was Taker's choice but still was kind of cheap to me.

I started to like Daniel Bryan, though I feel Levesque and the guy's who have the big man fetish just completely killed his push. And he was really over with the fans too. They gave him a title reign for a couple minutes, then another one for just a couple months. Those kinds of things irritated me.

I never was much for TNA, especially with goofballs like saggy dog Hogan and Eric Bischoff being there. That was a joke.

I'll probably turn it on again sometime. The Daniel Bryan thing really killed it for me. He could have been the next Bret Hart type guy, management still loves their 300 pound muscle heads though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad