OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One thing makes me nervous about digital games and movies. I feel like some day they will just disappear. I had digital games on Xbox 360 and PS3 which I traded in towards the new systems. Now the games I had are just kind of gone. When XboxOne backwards compatibility flips on, am I going to get those games back?

Been the age old question since it began.

With Steam my bet is somehow you are safe. Steam is just so big now and basically IS PC gaming that even if Valve went under they would sell Steam for a boatload and it would continue as long as PC gaming exists.

Consoles is where **** gets tricky because you are depending on the big three to honor your purchases across generations. Something I don't trust as much.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Been the age old question since it began.

With Steam my bet is somehow you are safe. Steam is just so big now and basically IS PC gaming that even if Valve went under they would sell Steam for a boatload and it would continue as long as PC gaming exists.

Consoles is where **** gets tricky because you are depending on the big three to honor your purchases across generations. Something I don't trust as much.

Well I am not a fan of keyboard and mouse controls or buying a computer for $800< ... so I'm going to end up with a Steam console.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
image.img.jpg

bahahahahahaha

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
That is the worst game cover I've ever seen. What was EA thinking?

At least now when the xbox One price drops I can get a cheaper NHL 15.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
That is the worst game cover I've ever seen. What was EA thinking?

At least now when the xbox One price drops I can get a cheaper NHL 15.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772068

This year's "in your face we're gonna call this an improvement when it's really just something we took out and are adding back in" big feature is the 6 on 6 team play for leagues again and single location 4 player co-op.

So "TEAM PLAY" is the big deal and having them together is the "Teamwork" branding they want. Cheesy.

It should show a picture of recycle bin if they want accuracy. lol

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Went to see Inside Out yesterday with the wife and no kids. I like a good Pixar movie and this was almost a laugh a minute. Top quality movie and a good message for kids too. Lewis Black as "anger" was perfect casting and writing.

To top it off, the theater was just remodeled and the entire seating was deluxe home theater style electric reclining chairs in duo sets with an armrest that pulls up so it become a huge reclining love seat! They were speed far apart too so you felt much more private in the theater. Only about 150 seats by my estimate with 8 wide x 15 rows but huge sound a good sized screen. I may never go elsewhere for a movie again. $11 a ticket weekend adult not shabby either.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Went to see Inside Out yesterday with the wife and no kids. I like a good Pixar movie and this was almost a laugh a minute. Top quality movie and a good message for kids too. Lewis Black as "anger" was perfect casting and writing.

To top it off, the theater was just remodeled and the entire seating was deluxe home theater style electric reclining chairs in duo sets with an armrest that pulls up so it become a huge reclining love seat! They were speed far apart too so you felt much more private in the theater. Only about 150 seats by my estimate with 8 wide x 15 rows but huge sound a good sized screen. I may never go elsewhere for a movie again. $11 a ticket weekend adult not shabby either.

Saw it last week. It is a really smart movie. It was well researched. The short Lava was really good that aired before it.

Watching Battlebots right now. Man I missed this show. Glad it got revivied.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I love a nice piano piece. People wonder why I like anime so much. It's not just the interesting concepts, plots and fantastic voice acting. The music is generally tailored perfectly as well.

A BIG reason why Miyazaki's works are as good as the are is the music. Particularly Hisaishi's works. His scores are masterful.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Saw it last week. It is a really smart movie. It was well researched. The short Lava was really good that aired before it.

The Lava thing was catchy - was surprised they showed it - usually only see those shorts on the DVD extras.

Oh and the most unrealistic part of the movie was obviously the 12 year old girl scoring with the backhand deke upstairs on the breakaway. :sarcasm:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Lava thing was catchy - was surprised they showed it - usually only see those shorts on the DVD extras.

Oh and the most unrealistic part of the movie was obviously the 12 year old girl scoring with the backhand deke upstairs on the breakaway. :sarcasm:

She was from Minnesota. They breed that kind of skill up there haha

The funnier part was her first goal as like a 3 year old looked like half of Clarkson's career goals.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
These new movies may be good enough to wipe the prequels away from my memory. 1,2,3 never happened. It started at episode 4 and just rolled on...

Ironic the timeline that was earliest used the most technology to film and the effects.

To be fair, pretty much every huge budget action film uses a ton of CGI these days. I don't hear too many people complaining about all the CGI in any of the Marvel movies. It would be interesting to see what the prequels would look like with today's level of technology with effects.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To be fair, pretty much every huge budget action film uses a ton of CGI these days. I don't hear too many people complaining about all the CGI in any of the Marvel movies. It would be interesting to see what the prequels would look like with today's level of technology with effects.

True and in many cases it isn't good, in others its pretty seamless.

Problem with the Prequels is literally EVERY shot was done with pure CGI, nearly everything is on a green screen set. Very little of the movies were shot on a location. Very few shots had the actors actually interacting with something, and it REALLY shows. It is a very sterile and lifeless environment, something that is so NOT Star Wars when you look at the original movies.

Of course this is just but one of the MANY sins those movies committed that starts on a preproduction and writing level.

Anyone on the topic of CGI. There is definitely some bias against it, because when its overused or used poorly it is really noticeable and sucks a lot. Thing is majority of productions use some level of CGI to add to various scenes and shots and when done well no one complains because no one really notices.

An example from something very popular is the Battle of Hardhome from Game of Thrones. Was one of the most critically hailed scenes from the latest season and was done with a mix of actual physical effects on an actual set, and CGI mixed in.

Basically people want to be entertained, and be transported to the world of the story, but no matter what the suspension of disbelief still holds true today as it ever has. An audience will only suspend their disbelief for so long. It isn't just for plot and characterizations, but also for what they physically see.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Visually, I've never really had a problem with the prequels. It's the writing/directing that I think really held them back. Nobody was there to tell George that certain things didn't work. Although considering it it's his creation and he's George Lucas, I probably wouldn't tell him that if I worked for him either.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So Battleground and RAW last night were entertaining and surprising. Don't know if they brought Taker back because Vince is scared of the recent ratings, or if they legit just have no idea how to book Brock right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad