Connor Murphy

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the plan is to actually keep all of these young gun defensemen longterm.

Gustafsson, Forsling, Boqvist, Mitchell, and Beaudin are play a relatively similar style in that they rely on speed and skill and produce offense from the back end.

Add in Jokiharu, and these are the six most offensively talented defensemen this organization has. Seeing all of them on a blue line together years down the road would mean tons of speed and skill on the ice.

Gustafsson-Jokiharu
Forsling-Boqvist
Beaudin-Mitchell

That looks like a really fun group of defensemen in the future. However, none of these guys have overwhelming size or much of a gritty streak to them like a Connor Murphy does.

Do you think the game is evolving to the point where that type of defensive group could work, or do you think you need to put in a Murphy-type or two?

This isn't something I think is a big problem right now, or that I think the Hawks need to address urgently. I'm just thinking about what this blueline could look like in 2021 and 2022.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
He's good. Had some bad periods in the early going, but it says a lot that we are all surprised by it coz otherwise he's probably our most consistent defender. I loved him and Zadorov out there last game.

Before the season I saw him as potential trade asset, because in two years we'll have to re-sign both him and Boqvist, while having Mitchell already, so it looked very crowded. But with Boqvist's concerns I don't want Murphy going anywhere.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He's good. Had some bad periods in the early going, but it says a lot that we are all surprised by it coz otherwise he's probably our most consistent defender. I loved him and Zadorov out there last game.

Before the season I saw him as potential trade asset, because in two years we'll have to re-sign both him and Boqvist, while having Mitchell already, so it looked very crowded. But with Boqvist's concerns I don't want Murphy going anywhere.
Unless they convince Seabs to open his nmc slot or are fine risking going with only 8 protected skaters, he will be gone next year.

But beyond that he will going over 30 if extended after next season. Which might not be wanted unless it's a very short deal

Though this thread was interesting so much talk after a few first games. I know there was articles in late November or December that first year he said he finally felt comfortable naturally playing in Qs system the way Q wanted.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
First 4 games Murphy flat out stunk...Got better in 5th game...then 6th game was his best...except for nbly 1bad shift his other shifts in game #6 were very goid abd competent...

His goal production so far is a bit surprising...Do motcexoect this pace to continue ..but in tgevotger habd he now has reached prone years so maybe this isxtfexseason he adds more offense?

Still...Hawks have the Seabrook decision looningcas he probably is soon ready for full practice at top speed and so willbecin the lineup probably within tgexnextc2 weeks...Andxsi who cones out for hom?

Also a waste ...Carlsson and d Kalnyuk wasting time not playong just hanhibgvaroubdvon taxicsquad.

It is a logjam...1 of Murphy or CdH shoud d be traded...they could send taxi squad extras to Rockford of course...better than not playing...but then by TDK tgeycwill know where Hawksxare in the race... Try to trade a vet D T tgat tome...butcalso just coukdcexpise to Seattle expansion draft...lose Murphybor CdH to that process anyway..

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Unless they convince Seabs to open his nmc slot or are fine risking going with only 8 protected skaters, he will be gone next year.

But beyond that he will going over 30 if extended after next season. Which might not be wanted unless it's a very short deal

Though this thread was interesting so much talk after a few first games. I know there was articles in late November or December that first year he said he finally felt comfortable naturally playing in Qs system the way Q wanted.

Yeah all good points. Seattle probably takes Murphy ahead of de Haan.

But if Boqvist doesnt turn up next season our D will look kind of meh. It's not too good now as it is. Sucks that Murphy will be 30 when he's up next coz he's a real steadying presence.

I feel more optimistic about the forwards than the d actually - even counting a likely top 10 d pick this year coz that guy is 2-4 years away too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad