Connor Murphy

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Run on sentence?
giphy.gif

It is just deflection to hide his lack of knowledge. I should just do what everyone else has done...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Keith was 24 in the off-season before the 2007-2008 season. He wasn't quite there yet, but he wasn't a wreck either. He was our best D by the next season.

Keith was pretty rough at that point still and made big strides. Seabrook was actually better at that point.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It is just deflection to hide his lack of knowledge. I should just do what everyone else has done...

Naa I just came back right now after putting that post, my day is jam packed... That said in your previous post all you did was talk about how I lack knowledge because apparently once I said I don't play goalie? I don't recall saying that, also you don't need to play goalie to understand the dynamics or to see if a goalie is a little faster with his pads, glove, post to post, etc. Again you said absolutely nothing important in that post. Crawford lost 15lbs over the summer and I can see he has gotten quicker which is very much expected. If you don't agree then don't agree, it's what I see lol why so butt hurt?

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I think there is good reason to be very happy with our D group this year given the departure of Hammer and the decline of Seabs and now even Keith to a degree.
Forsling is developing quite well, Rutta is a revelation, Kempny is looking to belong and Murphy will be just fine given time to learn the system and gain some new habits. Even Franson can still play a role and I like Oesterle as well as a Keith clone coming up the lines.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I expect nothing from Oesterle. I'd rather find a Vet D in a trade as of now. I think we can go deep but Need to add C depth and a Vet LHD. I don't think wing will be that huge Problem with the way Hayden & Kitty Play. I think it'll be the scoring depth paired with a bottom 6 Center. It Looks like we are thin in case of injury at the NHL Level.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think there is good reason to be very happy with our D group this year given the departure of Hammer and the decline of Seabs and now even Keith to a degree.
Forsling is developing quite well, Rutta is a revelation, Kempny is looking to belong and Murphy will be just fine given time to learn the system and gain some new habits. Even Franson can still play a role and I like Oesterle as well as a Keith clone coming up the lines.
as of right now, this moment, i am extremely ecstatic with the play of the hawks.....all the Bhawks players. granted there may have been some miscues but i can live with it now. i am going to refrain from saying anything negative on the hawks until game 21. i need to see how the hawks is really looking.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
as of right now, this moment, i am extremely ecstatic with the play of the hawks.....all the Bhawks players. granted there may have been some miscues but i can live with it now. i am going to refrain from saying anything negative on the hawks until game 21. i need to see how the hawks is really looking.
Why are you trying to be rational on a message board? The message board is about over reaction, hyperboles, and fanaticism. "Rational" is not allowed. If you can't abide by the rules, you need to keep quiet.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Healthy scratches: if not Murphy, who? Right now, Murphy is the right guy.

Yeah, Murphy has been underwhelming, but it's very early. Let's give him at least 20 odd games (lol) before relegating him as a lifetime 3rd pairing guy.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Healthy scratches: if not Murphy, who? Right now, Murphy is the right guy.

Yeah, Murphy has been underwhelming, but it's very early. Let's give him at least 20 odd games (lol) before relegating him as a lifetime 3rd pairing guy.
Well ... there's always Seabrook. :)

Reactions: LDF

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Naa I just came back right now after putting that post, my day is jam packed... That said in your previous post all you did was talk about how I lack knowledge because apparently once I said I don't play goalie? I don't recall saying that, also you don't need to play goalie to understand the dynamics or to see if a goalie is a little faster with his pads, glove, post to post, etc. Again you said absolutely nothing important in that post. Crawford lost 15lbs over the summer and I can see he has gotten quicker which is very much expected. If you don't agree then don't agree, it's what I see lol why so butt hurt?

You said that you have never played hockey other than with buddies in the winter. Sorry but you absolutely need to have played goalie to understand and more specifically see the finer details of the position. There are certain things in how a goalie makes a save, moves, and positions that you don't notice. Your posts show this. Do this make you less of a fan? No. People question you as a fan because you NEVER seem to root for the team and all you do is aimlessly cry and make assumptions, so many make the assumption about your fandom.

Moving to the actual hockey talk.

Crow is not quicker at all. The big change from previous seasons is that he has transitioned to the newer method of movement once he is down. Instead of getting up and then shuffling he is then shuffling from his knees which is now much more possible due to the major changes in skates and pad angles. Crow still wears a traditional cowling but they still sit higher than past skates and along with thinner (but stronger materials) which allow for greater angles when pushing off. Pad materials also drastically change goalies ability to push off and shuffle from their knees. This started over a decade ago with the release of the Vaughn Velocity goal pads. All this being said, Crow has been slower to transition to this technique than most NHL goalies. This is a big improvement for him and that is what we are seeing. He is not more athletic than last season and he actually looks tighter from a flexibility standpoint than last season pre-injury. You can see this in how he makes certain glove saves and when he has to extend himself. These are things that many miss including you. Again, Crow is not faster or more athletic at all, he is the same technical goalie who has added a more efficient way to move about the crease.

Crow is thinner in his gear but that looks more like a gear choice than Crow losing weight (he chest protector appears more fitted and less squared off). Do you have a story you can link about the weight loss?

This post took me less than 5 minutes so you can skip the "spend all day" childish garbage you try and claim.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You said that you have never played hockey other than with buddies in the winter. Sorry but you absolutely need to have played goalie to understand and These are things that many miss including you. Again, Crow is not faster or more athletic at all, he is the same technical goalie who has added a more efficient way to move about the crease.

Crow is thinner in his gear but that looks more like a gear choice than Crow losing weight (he chest protector appears more fitted and less squared off). Do you have a story you can link about the weight loss?

~~ edited to simplify the reading ~~~

ref the post on goalies new tech and such. all i can say, wow. talking about how things have chg in my yrs of being a Bhawks fan.... Starting off with Tony O and continuing till today.

many thanks for really sharing this whole thing. i for one appreciate it. :hockey: :stanley:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Why are you trying to be rational on a message board? The message board is about over reaction, hyperboles, and fanaticism. "Rational" is not allowed. If you can't abide by the rules, you need to keep quiet.
i don't know, at the moment if felt the right thing to do. .... umm lets just day it is a perk that develop as i get older, more wiser. :D

plus this continue bashing of Seabs, even thou the hawks are winning, i needed to compartmentalize my feeling for him.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Hey nothing wrong with being rational or even a bit optimistic!
For sure we have to give at least 20 games to be able to make a solid judgement on the team and even then ... look at the Penguins.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Just read JJ's blog and re "7 is enough" and I would tend to agree that with the new CBA we may see Seabs getting bought out. That is unless there is a team out there willing ... Vancouver?!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
For sure we have to give at least 20 games to be able to make a solid judgement on the team and even then ... look at the Penguins.
exactly, i want to know if this is real or a hot beginning. i am stoke on the team performance and well, i want it to go thru the whole season.

when the team wins, i can look past my bias on any players.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
You said that you have never played hockey other than with buddies in the winter. Sorry but you absolutely need to have played goalie to understand and more specifically see the finer details of the position. There are certain things in how a goalie makes a save, moves, and positions that you don't notice. Your posts show this. Do this make you less of a fan? No. People question you as a fan because you NEVER seem to root for the team and all you do is aimlessly cry and make assumptions, so many make the assumption about your fandom.

Moving to the actual hockey talk.

Crow is not quicker at all. The big change from previous seasons is that he has transitioned to the newer method of movement once he is down. Instead of getting up and then shuffling he is then shuffling from his knees which is now much more possible due to the major changes in skates and pad angles. Crow still wears a traditional cowling but they still sit higher than past skates and along with thinner (but stronger materials) which allow for greater angles when pushing off. Pad materials also drastically change goalies ability to push off and shuffle from their knees. This started over a decade ago with the release of the Vaughn Velocity goal pads. All this being said, Crow has been slower to transition to this technique than most NHL goalies. This is a big improvement for him and that is what we are seeing. He is not more athletic than last season and he actually looks tighter from a flexibility standpoint than last season pre-injury. You can see this in how he makes certain glove saves and when he has to extend himself. These are things that many miss including you. Again, Crow is not faster or more athletic at all, he is the same technical goalie who has added a more efficient way to move about the crease.

This post took me less than 5 minutes so you can skip the "spend all day" childish garbage you try and claim.

Ok Mr. Expert the all knowing. Steve said it a few games back, pay attention next time, you claim I don't notice these little things when you don't even listen to the broadcast, even Crawford himself said I feel quicker and I noticed it before any of this was said, but hey Mr. Expert here knows better than the goalie himself lol... Anyways buddy keep on writing your articles!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Even if Crawford is a bit quicker, he is still roughly the same goalie he has always been...a top 10, pushing top 5 goalie in the NHL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You are wrong. Rational and optimistic are not allowed. You trouble makers are always trying to create anarchy. This is a no happy zone. If you want something else ... go to the Vegas board. The years of consistent dreariness have not affected their sunny disposition YET.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You are wrong. Rational and optimistic are not allowed. You trouble makers are always trying to create anarchy. This is a no happy zone. If you want something else ... go to the Vegas board. The years of consistent dreariness have not affected their sunny disposition YET.
go and get the pitch-forks, the shovels. i want to march on the house of Madison. how dare they do this.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ok Mr. Expert the all knowing. Steve said it a few games back, pay attention next time, you claim I don't notice these little things when you don't even listen to the broadcast, even Crawford himself said I feel quicker and I noticed it before any of this was said, but hey Mr. Expert here knows better than the goalie himself lol... Anyways buddy keep on writing your articles!

A few games back would be the Wild game (which I get the Wild broadcast) so it is rather hard to listen to something that is not available but fair enough it was reported by Konroyd. Hence why I asked. Don't get so defensive when someone asks you for a source, it makes it look like you are just lying.

You claimed he was quicker but the quickness you are claiming is different that what is happening. You think you are seeing something and when I explain why it is looks that way and is that way you come with this deflection and Mr. Expert BS. Maybe if you just read what people wrote and actually gave that a chacnce you could learn something more in depth that "errr I think he is quicker", people are going to know more that you on certain topics in life. He is quicker laterally because he is using a technique that is much more efficient and not because he is more athletic.

How about you and I have a logical and not childish conversation for once? Sticking to hockey would be a start and so would not trying to make childish pot shots. It seems to work for everyone else here, hell I even get along with BWC at times. If not just let me know and I can just press the bye bye button and talk hockey with everyone else.

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

Ahhhh come on! It would be boring if everyone was a crumpy crumperson.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Even if Crawford is a bit quicker, he is still roughly the same goalie he has always been...a top 10, pushing top 5 goalie in the NHL.
Exactly. The numbers prove this.

In the cap era (2006 season to the present), as of this posting, based on NHL.com numbers for the regular season, Crawford ranks 6th out of 31 in SV% out of the top 31 goalies in terms of GP (>=361 GP). He ranks 7th of 31 in SV% of the top 31 goalies in SA (>= 9690 SA). As of right now he is packing a .919 career SV%

To put to a rest the insinuation that Crawford is merely "average":

Since the beginning of the 2006 season (cap era) up until this posting, there has been 854141 shots on goal total in the NHL for the regular season. There has been 777898 saves. This means the entire league since 2006 has a SV% of...
There are currently 88 goalies better than that. There are 160 worse. There are 5 goalies with a career .911: Neuvirth, Lack, Hutton, Stalock, and Broissant. That's "average" You're a fringe bounce-around starter or a career backup. That's not Crawford.

Going off of the top goalies in shots against (since that number means each goalies' SV% is the most normalized across their career) in the cap era, You're looking at 615859 SA, 563380 SVS. This equated out to .915 SV%. Ergo, you can say that the long-term career starter average netminder for the cap era is a .915 goalie--Ryan Miller. Crawford is .919. He's clearly above average--AINEC.

P.S. To demonstrate how solid that .911 number is for the league "average". In order for that number to rise to a league SV% of .912, it would mean that the next 7500 shots across the entire league would *all* have to be saved. Conversely, for that number to drop to .910, the next 400 shots across the league would all have to go in.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Ahhhh come on! It would be boring if everyone was a crumpy crumperson.
that's cool, but i want to enjoy the hawks wins. to fail in the dream that they can get another cup. plus i do want to jinx the way the players are playing.

this works for me .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad