Connor Murphy

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It is too early to pass judgment, but I don’t have a warm and fuzzy feeling about any of this.

Thankfully, Rutta looks like a diamond.
This. In spades.

I think we all were expecting the D to take a step back, but I have to say I'm kinda surprised how far back they are. Rutta has been like the lone, good standout amongst the D-core.

As it stands at this point, Even if Murph is our bottom-paring RHD instead of the Hjammer replacement, Murph should be at least serviceable in the bottom pair, but all-in-all our D has to get much, much tighter.

As of now we have a team SV% of .949. That's going to go down--if you don't think so you're deluding yourself. Right now we're tied for last with Minny in terms of SA/GP, and we're 3rd behind Ottawa and LA for GA/GP. We're 14th for SF/GP, and 4th in GF/GP.

Our O has been damned good--even after Schemaltz got Manwich'ed™ we're still keeping pace. But our goalies have been carrying the backend and the D needs to step it up.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Do you even know the system? I wouldn't expect you to and looks like my expectations are correct. The Hawks coverage schemes are not the norm and are more complex due to how the team fronts certain situations and backs other situations. It takes a D man at least 20 games to start completely understand the system because of the differences from the normal defensive schemes, look at Oduya.

Honestly, you should try and actually watch the team and players before spouting off here because you might actually get more than 1 or 2 posts right. Need an example? You trying to claim Crawford looks more athletic than last season pre-injury. Crawford before his injury last season was the best he had ever looked.

Anyone else think it is funny that Blackhawks doesn't talk in GDT or in general when the Hawks are winning?

I have watched every game these past ten years, I think you don't know what you are talking about bud, just because you sit here all day and type post after post it doesn't mean you know squat to be completely straight with you. Crawford has never looked this good in his whole career, never seen him so calm in his net, even before his injury last year he was still too fidgety slippin and sliding and too slow athletically and specially post to post. You really need to watch the games...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I have watched every game these past ten years, I think you don't know what you are talking about bud, just because you sit here all day and type post after post it doesn't mean you know squat to be completely straight with you. Crawford has never looked this good in his whole career, never seen him so calm in his net, even before his injury last year he was still too fidgety slippin and sliding and too slow athletically and specially post to post. You really need to watch the games...
I just want to tell you that I'm a huge fan of yours. I didn't know you were a Blackhawks fan.
stevie-wonder-o.gif

Reactions: swerdnase

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i am putting my two cents here and i always wants to state, i am on no one side.

but how can anyone really see and know if a player, such as a goalie is on the same page from yrs ago or last season. it is an impression and it is based on eye test or an opinion based on a visual opinion.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

The bolded is so wrong it is funny. Crow is more rigid this year compared to last year and his flexibility is more limited. You can see this is how he makes certain saves then compare similar vases to last season and other goalies. This is not surprising because he had surgery to his core. Crow looks similarly steady to past seasons. This is not something I would expect you to notice since you don't know anything about the position because you never played and from past posts of yours. You are basically uninformed to the position (this has nothing to do with posting here, it has to do with 2 decades of playing and coaching). Goalie is much different than any other position and playing on a pond with your friends and watching a few games a year doesn't make you knowledgeable. It is very obvious that you basic knowledge and understanding of the game (specifically goalies) is limited at best and you would be best served to try to learn from people who know what they are talking about instead of doubling down over and over on things that are always incorrect.

If you think I am claiming to be knowledgeable because I post here you are just not very good at figuring things out.

Reactions: Rooh

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
i am putting my two cents here and i always wants to state, i am on no one side.

but how can anyone really see and know if a player, such as a goalie is on the same page from yrs ago or last season. it is an impression and it is based on eye test or an opinion based on a visual opinion.
All I know Crow has been pretty darn good the past 2-3 years. Crow had even less help last year and performed incredibly well early in the season. However, some people have super powers and can tell even the slightest improvements in a goalie's game from watching TV. For the non Tretiaks, like me, Crow looks pretty much the same he's been for a while ... pretty darn good.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
All I know Crow has been pretty darn good the past 2-3 years. Crow had even less help last year and performed incredibly well early in the season. However, some people have super powers and can tell even the slightest improvements in a goalie's game from watching TV. For the non Tretiaks, like me, Crow looks pretty much the same he's been for a while ... pretty darn good.

LOL or not watching. Hell some can tell improvements that aren't even there. :naughty:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
The bolded is so wrong it is funny. Crow is more rigid this year compared to last year and his flexibility is more limited. You can see this is how he makes certain saves then compare similar vases to last season and other goalies. This is not surprising because he had surgery to his core. Crow looks similarly steady to past seasons. This is not something I would expect you to notice since you don't know anything about the position because you never played and from past posts of yours. You are basically uninformed to the position (this has nothing to do with posting here, it has to do with 2 decades of playing and coaching). Goalie is much different than any other position and playing on a pond with your friends and watching a few games a year doesn't make you knowledgeable. It is very obvious that you basic knowledge and understanding of the game (specifically goalies) is limited at best and you would be best served to try to learn from people who know what they are talking about instead of doubling down over and over on things that are always incorrect.

If you think I am claiming to be knowledgeable because I post here you are just not very good at figuring things out.

This is a bunch of gibberish run on sentence, nothing more, nothing concrete, just a bunch of talk, nothing else.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Crawford has been nothing short of excellent since 2013. He's great thus far this year, but that's hardly a surprise. It's what we've all come to expect.

Or should have, by now, certainly.

As far as Murphy, in both performance and deployment thus far (big caveat given how early it is), Rutta has actually proven a better Hjalmarsson replacement.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This is a bunch of gibberish run on sentence, nothing more, nothing concrete, just a bunch of talk, nothing else.

And now you go to deflection. Just further proof that you have no idea what you are talking about. This is your modus operandi. If you want to have a discussion with actual substance you should start responsing with actual substace. Right now you make outlandish claims then refuse to back them up.

Nothing concrete? I actually pointed out where you can notice athletism increases. You tried to claim he is faster laterally but that is just not the case, he is just more efficient.

Do you know what a run-on sentence is?

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Crawford has been nothing short of excellent since 2013. He's great thus far this year, but that's hardly a surprise. It's what we've all come to expect.

Or should have, by now, certainly.

As far as Murphy, in both performance and deployment thus far (big caveat given how early it is), Rutta has actually proven a better Hjalmarsson replacement.
2 questions regarding Murphy:

1. Is he injured?
2. How "unfast" is Murphy? Is he mediocre speed, Seabrook slow, or Rozy slow?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
2 questions regarding Murphy:

1. Is he injured?
2. How "unfast" is Murphy? Is he mediocre speed, Seabrook slow, or Rozy slow?

His skating isn't an issue IMO. He's not blazing fast, but how fast he moves isn't an issue so much as how fast he processes the game or the decisions he makes IMO.

And as I said earlier, none of his mistakes are facepalm worthy leap-off-the-screen ****-ups in the Forsling mold, they're just small 'ah, you could have made a better play there, there was a better option, you had more time than you thought' type mistakes that add up over a game.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
His skating isn't an issue IMO. He's not blazing fast, but how fast he moves isn't an issue so much as how fast he processes the game or the decisions he makes IMO.

And as I said earlier, none of his mistakes are facepalm worthy leap-off-the-screen ****-ups in the Forsling mold, they're just small 'ah, you could have made a better play there, there was a better option, you had more time than you thought' type mistakes that add up over a game.
So what you're saying is that he's a #5 or #6 DMen. We need Forsling, Rutta, and Kempny to develop.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

These are the types of mistakes that improve with experience. Murphy is 24 and played on a team the past few years that absolutely stunted growth due to how bad they were. He is just starting to get to his prime years as dman.

Murphy is a 4-5 now and should get to a good 3 if he develops correctly.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
These are the types of mistakes that improve with experience. Murphy is 24 and played on a team the past few years that absolutely stunted growth due to how bad they were. He is just starting to get to his prime years as dman.

Murphy is a 4-5 now and should get to a good 3 if he develops correctly.
I'd be ecstatic if he became a #3 for a LEGIT CUP CONTENDER.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'd be ecstatic if he became a #3 for a LEGIT CUP CONTENDER.

As would I, that is his ceiling (just to clarify) and there is no guarantee. If he becomes a 2nd pairing guy we are in good shape as Hawks fans. Hammer in his state last year and so far this season is a 3 (and may end as a 4), obviously that could change and he could get it back but in the two AZ games I have watched he looks like he did last year.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford

Before his injury last year, he was playing at an elite level.

Wrong again.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Like some of you have said, Murphy's benching has a lot to do with how good Rutta has been.

The problem is Rutta's on a 1yr deal and will need a new contract after this season. If he keeps this up (big if), he will command a sizable raise as a UFA.

We all know Hawks cannot afford to pay a bottom pairing defenseman $4milion. Unless Murphy can jump Rutta on the depth chart as the 2RD, Bowman will have no choice but to trade him to free up some space to re-sign Rutta and Hartman.

Yes Murphy is 24. That's still young for a defenseman. However he's already been in the league for 4 years. There's a pretty good chance he is who he is at this point.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I was talking about Murphy who would be a bottom pairing RD making $3.85mil unless he jumps Rutta on the depth chart.
You're right. Just saying, I don't know how much Rutta will make. A Panik-like deal would be best if he keeps up this pace.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Like some of you have said, Murphy's benching has a lot to do with how good Rutta has been.

The problem is Rutta's on a 1yr deal and will need a new contract after this season. If he keeps this up (big if), he will command a sizable raise as a UFA.

We all know Hawks cannot afford to pay a bottom pairing defenseman $4milion. Unless Murphy can jump Rutta on the depth chart as the 2RD, Bowman will have no choice but to trade him to free up some space to re-sign Rutta and Hartman.

Yes Murphy is 24. That's still young for a defenseman. However he's already been in the league for 4 years. There's a pretty good chance he is who he is at this point.

The same could have been said about Keith. He was a wreck at this point in his career. Not saying Murphy will become Keith or close but the situation is similar. Same with Forsling.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Panik had a great year and didn't get 4mil.
I'd love to get Rutta at a Panik price.

Panik was set to be an RFA, Rutta will be a UFA and therefore able to command more.

The same could have been said about Keith. He was a wreck at this point in his career. Not saying Murphy will become Keith or close but the situation is similar. Same with Forsling.

Keith was 24 in the off-season before the 2007-2008 season. He wasn't quite there yet as far as becoming an elite Dman, but he wasn't a wreck either. He was our best D by the next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->