Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
What do you guys think: could he become better than generational player Bobby Ryan?

nbc.jpg

I have been saying for the past 10 years the Ducks shudda taken Crosby.......but they wouldnt listen :banghead:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Monday is when we should get our first glimmer of them with and against squads with more pros... Buffalo visits Minnesota, while Edmonton has split-squad games with Calgary. :popcorn:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

First good look at some straight ahead speed. If only it was Mcdavid chasing down Eichel

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Exciting player. McDavid hasn't taken a single wrist shot in the preseason, it's weird. I think he is still learning that he can't deke out NHL caliber goalies as consistently. I would guess he will take a little while to adjust his game. Eichel looks ready to beat goalies clean, that will work to his advantage.

Will be an interesting year my friends.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I've got to watch his games so far. Impressive player. Strong and pretty quick with a great great shot.

Don't like the debate about him vs McDavid though. Eichel has a better shot, and I think that's where the debate ends. Even if the games this preseason where Eichel played his best, he still looked on a lower level or two compared to McDavid.

McDavid is faster and thinks the game a lot faster. McDavid is making passes I have never seen another player make. He is doing these weird little plays when he goes into the corner and always ends up with the puck even though he's an 18 year old going against physically mature men.

If you've watched all the games for both players this offseason, you will agree that they are on a different tier of prospects. One is going to be an absolutely great player. I'm convinced Eichel will be a top player in the league sooner rather than later. He's too much of a physical specimen not to.

That said, McDavid is already doing things nobody in the NHL can do. I would bet money he is not only the fastest player in the NHL, but the fact he can stickhandle and plays at this speed is what is scary. He blows by defenders and then makes a backhand saucer pass through peoples legs onto an unsuspecting players stick. I didn't get to grow up watching Gretzky play, but watching highlights the similarities are uncanny.

Although I don't see McDavid putting up the highest amount of points in the league, in my opinion at 18 years old he is the best player in the NHL. I watched a lot of hockey last year. I love watching Pittsburgh because of Crosby and Malkin. I watch a lot of Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Philadelphia, and Detroit games.

McDavid, in my opinion, is better than both Malkin and Crosby. He's 18 and lacks in a few areas like confidence in his shooting, but other than that he is elite. McLellan has been raving about his defensive game. This guy backchecks hard at all times (watch that clip of him somehow catching that UofA player). He is always down low in his own zone and like I mentioned earlier, always ends up with the puck on his stick by outsmarting the opponent. Faking stick lifts, spinning, doing simply bizarre stuff.

I want to keep typing but I feel like I should stop. I'm giddy as an Oilers fan to see a player like this play. I love watching the best players in the league and that's always been a priority of mine.

The debate is settled like this for me: Eichel is going to be a top player in this league. McDavid is going to be or already is the best player in the world.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
I've got to watch his games so far. Impressive player. Strong and pretty quick with a great great shot.

Don't like the debate about him vs McDavid though. Eichel has a better shot, and I think that's where the debate ends. Even if the games this preseason where Eichel played his best, he still looked on a lower level or two compared to McDavid.

McDavid is faster and thinks the game a lot faster. McDavid is making passes I have never seen another player make. He is doing these weird little plays when he goes into the corner and always ends up with the puck even though he's an 18 year old going against physically mature men.

If you've watched all the games for both players this offseason, you will agree that they are on a different tier of prospects. One is going to be an absolutely great player. I'm convinced Eichel will be a top player in the league sooner rather than later. He's too much of a physical specimen not to.

That said, McDavid is already doing things nobody in the NHL can do. I would bet money he is not only the fastest player in the NHL, but the fact he can stickhandle and plays at this speed is what is scary. He blows by defenders and then makes a backhand saucer pass through peoples legs onto an unsuspecting players stick. I didn't get to grow up watching Gretzky play, but watching highlights the similarities are uncanny.

Although I don't see McDavid putting up the highest amount of points in the league, in my opinion at 18 years old he is the best player in the NHL. I watched a lot of hockey last year. I love watching Pittsburgh because of Crosby and Malkin. I watch a lot of Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Philadelphia, and Detroit games.

McDavid, in my opinion, is better than both Malkin and Crosby. He's 18 and lacks in a few areas like confidence in his shooting, but other than that he is elite. McLellan has been raving about his defensive game. This guy backchecks hard at all times (watch that clip of him somehow catching that UofA player). He is always down low in his own zone and like I mentioned earlier, always ends up with the puck on his stick by outsmarting the opponent. Faking stick lifts, spinning, doing simply bizarre stuff.

I want to keep typing but I feel like I should stop. I'm giddy as an Oilers fan to see a player like this play. I love watching the best players in the league and that's always been a priority of mine.

The debate is settled like this for me: Eichel is going to be a top player in this league. McDavid is going to be or already is the best player in the world.

It hurts I know

tripleX

Feb 22, 2010

I'm disappointed you only wrote 18-year-old McJesus is already the best player in NHL. Why stopped there? I was expecting to see you wrote McJesus is already the best hockey player ever, better than Gretzky and Lemieux, combined. :sarcasm:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm disappointed you only wrote 18-year-old McJesus is already the best player in NHL. Why stopped there? I was expecting to see you wrote McJesus is already the best hockey player ever, better than Gretzky and Lemieux, combined. :sarcasm:

Before people start jumping on all Oiler fans, that's definitely an extreme opinion.

As for Eichel I think he's going to be great and Buffalo is going to be a lot of fun to watch. For us it was never really a choice anyway.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

Nope.

Its great McDavid is showing off how good he is during the pre-season, but Eichel is doing the same thing. Lets see how these two do over the course of the season playing games that actually matter against teams with full rosters of players playing 100%. These two will hit roadblocks at some point during their careers and have to adjust.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Nope.

Its great McDavid is showing off how good he is during the pre-season, but Eichel is doing the same thing. Lets see how these two do over the course of the season playing games that actually matter against teams with full rosters of players playing 100%. These two will hit roadblocks at some point during their careers and have to adjust.

What do you mean he's doing the same thing? Did you watch all the games of both teams? There's no way you can say both players are doing the same thing. One is visually ahead of the other.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
What do you mean he's doing the same thing? Did you watch all the games of both teams? There's no way you can say both players are doing the same thing. One is visually ahead of the other.

Yeah...another one. Have YOU watched all the games of both teams?

Check out the Eichel thread in the prospects forum...one more week to go.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

I mean they're showing off their respective skills. Did you watch the games of both teams? Something tells me if you have actually been watching Sabres games you wouldn't be dismissing Eichel the way you have been.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
Eichel has been playing like a beast considering his team is also way weaker offensively. Still, both (?) of his goals have come from a short-handed breakaway. Also, I'd like to see McDavid score sometimes.

It's still too early to tell. I remember Pyörälä dominating in pre-season, and when the actual games began the guy was literally invisible.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
It's still too early to tell. I remember Pyörälä dominating in pre-season, and when the actual games began the guy was literally invisible.

Perfect example for the point I'm trying to make. It's great to get excited for both players, and I'd be lying if I said these past couple of games haven't gotten me pumped up for Eichel, but you can't forget that this is the preseason. The regular season is a different animal and you shouldn't get overexcited/dismiss other players based solely on a short stretch of exhibition games.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I'd have to disagree. Eichel has looked every bit as good (or better) than McDavid in preseason. It doesn't mean everything, but what it hasn't done is prove that this isn't a debate worth having.

The eyeball test tells me scouts were justified in linking the two. But again, its only preseason.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney

:laugh:
"visually"!
Was that on purpose? Because if it was I doff my cap to you!:handclap:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I feel like most of you must be talking out of your *****. Here is video of the Oilers game last night. Watch a few of his shifts at least and it's evident he's on a different level than everyone else, including Jack Eichel.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=838290

So people who disagree with you can be nothing else but "talking out of their ass" ?

McDavid is really good. So is Jack Eichel. They play different games and each have qualities that they excel at more than the other... now all we have to do it wait and see how it translates onto the ice for a few years. Relax and enjoy.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I feel like most of you must be talking out of your *****. Here is video of the Oilers game last night. Watch a few of his shifts at least and it's evident he's on a different level than everyone else, including Jack Eichel.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=838290

I will admit McDavid's speed is sick! :amazed: He also controls the puck at a rate of speed and has a canny knack of passing the puck through traffic.
Will he get more points than Eichel ? Absolutely. He will be playing on a line or on the PP with 2 other first overall players. Hall is arguably the top LW in the league.

McDavid will also get more ice time as the Sabres will be sheltering Eichel behind ROR.

Best player is definitely a debatable subject and not a reflection of points.
To me Jonathan Toews has been the best player in the league and it hasn't been because of his point total.

I suggest you get off your high horse and enjoy McDavid without these unnecessary comments. He might be the best player in the world in the next season or two, but let that happen first.

As Sabres fans we are very excited about Eichel and our teams future potential going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad