Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Why? They would just draft Eichel first. Buffalo is getting whoever Edmonton doesn't want between Eichel and McDavid anyway. There is absolutely no reason for Buffalo to give up any asset to trade up to 1.
Yep. Don't see that happening.

One thing I think that would happen, would be that McDavid would be motivated as ****. Buffalo would get a windfall.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
image.jpg

Hey look! McDavid is so much taller! If you say there's any slouching or angles, you're just being a fact denier!

Is this photo "fixed"? haha!

/sarcasm

You can tell by this pic that McDavid has incredible size, and its clear that Eichel can't compete. McDavid is in another universe :sarcasm:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
With the stuff that has spewed from Murrays mouth you guys actually believe he wouldn't trade to get #1 if offered....ok then

You're right. What do the people who listen to everything Murray says know compared to someone who reads sensationalized, decontextualized snippits? Tim Murray flat out said he will not call Chiarelli about trading up. He said it as directly as it can be said. That makes it pretty obvious he has no interest in trading anything near what he thinks it would take to trade up.

In this fairly ridiculous theoretical discussion wherein the Oilers are set on taking Eichel, should Chiarelli call Murray, what leverage does he have to get anything but a token piece? Chiarelli could only trade with the Sabres if he wanted Eichel. Under this scenario, he would just take Eichel if he failed to do so. That's a complete lack of leverage. Now, if Chiarelli simply saw little difference between the two and wanted to pick up assets, I'm sure Murray would listen, but that's not what is being discussed.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I don't think any GM would dare to do it even if they thought McDavid was not the best player available, would be the end of their career if McDavid lives up to the hype.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't think any GM would dare to do it even if they thought McDavid was not the best player available, would be then end of their career if McDavid lives up to the hype.

I'd agree with that. Last night my Knicks drafted 7'3" (in shoes) Latvian sharpshooter Kristaps Porzingis 4th overall. One reporter noted that every front office had at least one person who thought he's the best talent in the draft. One GM was quoted as saying even if a GM thought that, he wouldn't have the guts to take that risk on a European player who might become the best in the draft at #1 over the established top NCAA guys like Karl Towns-Anthony and Jahlil Okafor. He said if you miss on one of those guys you can survive it because the prevailing wisdom got it wrong, but if you miss on Porzingis you get fired.

Not quite the same situation, but it illustrates how GM's think. Absolutely no GM would pick Eichel over McDavid and it's extremely unlikely, from the perspectives of both the seller and the buyers, that the necessary trade price would ever be met. Of course, no GM out there thinks Eichel is the better prospect, anyhow. I'm sure quite a few think that Eichel could end up better, but that's totally different from considering him the better prospect.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Just watching Canada AM interviewing McD's parents. That was less than flattering (the part where they were talking about Edmonton). Don't know if they meant it to come out that way but their word choices weren't very positive.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What did they say?

Nothing terrible, it was just that none of the words they used were positive until the very end where they said "It's an honour" but even that they followed up with something along the lines of "you go where they tell you to".

They were talking about what they thought (initial reaction) to going to Edmonton. Said they never even considered Edmonton, partly because they had won 1st overall several times. Said they thought about Toronto...thought about Buffalo....even considered Arizona. Mentioned how you have no say and go wherever they send you.

The gist of it was pretty normal, I just found it a little odd how there wasn't any positive words at all until the "it's an honour" which was immediately followed by what I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Just watching Canada AM interviewing McD's parents. That was less than flattering (the part where they were talking about Edmonton). Don't know if they meant it to come out that way but their word choices weren't very positive.

The parents are probably given an even stricter guideline with the media than McDavid. All that interview sounded like was pretty much every interview McDavid has given in the past couple months.

They also can't gush about Edmonton, until McDavid is chosen by them.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The parents are probably given an even stricter guideline with the media than McDavid. All that interview sounded like was pretty much every interview McDavid has given in the past couple months.

I dunno, people usually sound more positive than that. Could be just their nature, who knows? I doubt media prevents them from using any positive words.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
I dunno, people usually sound more positive than that. Could be just their nature, who knows? I doubt media prevents them from using any positive words.

I think it's just the nature of his family. I've watched literally every McDavid interview and he never really seem excited about anything. I bet his parents instilled that in him, however I think they will be all smiles when Edm takes him today.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I think it's just the nature of his family. I've watched literally every McDavid interview and he never really seem excited about anything. I bet his parents instilled that in him, however I think they will be all smiles when Edm takes him today.

This and they know that it's their son's day, not theirs and the less they are in the spotlight the better.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I would assume so. It was the word choices that struck me odd.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
That's so not what he said. He's actually taking shots at every Oilers 1st overall picks, but McDavid.

No it sounds like he's taking a shot at all of them. "Once again Edmonton will make the wrong pick", implying that McDavid is the wrong pick. If he had said Edmonton is known for making the wrong pick (which is debatable), you would be correct.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
If i were Edmonton's GM i would draft Eichel over McDavid without any hesitation. Edmonton already has to many fancy hands and needs a gritty young player that will be a top power forward in the future.

Last edited:

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
No it sounds like he's taking a shot at all of them. "Once again Edmonton will make the wrong pick", implying that McDavid is the wrong pick. If he had said Edmonton is known for making the wrong pick (which is debatable), you would be correct.

I think he's just being fascetious for the sake of taking a shot at the Oilers. But you might be right and I might be overestimating his IQ

Anyway, if Oilers wanted Eichel over McDavid for some weird reason, they would trade down one pick and get someting really nice from Tim Murray in exchange.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Looking at Edmonton's needs McDavid is the wrong pick. But that's like saying your team needs defense and you have a chance to add a potential Crosby-level player. You're going to do it.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
No chance. Just won't happen. He is considered the best prospect since Crosby. The only ridiculous thing I could imagine happening is Murray at the end of the draft pulling a Burke and saying they had Eichel rated ahead of McDavid anyway like when Burke said he had Ryan rated higher than Crobsy. Even weirder is that the pair of Crosby-Ryan and McDavid-Eichel are the same nationalities and size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad