Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
While the gap is very small between Eichel & McDavid, I still say McDavid could "easily" be worth Eichel & Girgensons. Not necessarily because he is worth more on the ice, but he is potentially invaluable to a teams market. Eichel could very well become the better player, but right now McDavid is the more exciting player to watch, he is Canadian, & has all the hype & the media going for him.

The fact that he's Canadian and has the Canadian media hype machine behind him only really gives McDavid extra cachet in a Canadian market. In a market like Buffalo, on the other hand, the fact that Eichel is an American and college hockey product might actually give a slight boost to Eichel over McDavid.

I would rate McDavid slightly higher, but I wouldn't trade Eichel + Girgensons for him. That's an overpayment. The difference between McDavid and Eichel isn't that big.

I'd trade Eichel plus ONE of the following: 2015 #21, Zadorov, Compher, Baptiste, or Fasching. No more than that. I wouldn't move Girgensons or Reinhart.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
While the gap is very small between Eichel & McDavid, I still say McDavid could "easily" be worth Eichel & Girgensons. Not necessarily because he is worth more on the ice, but he is potentially invaluable to a teams market. Eichel could very well become the better player, but right now McDavid is the more exciting player to watch, he is Canadian, & has all the hype & the media going for him.

See this is tough, because I agree the value of Eichel + Girgensens = McDavid, but at the end of the day, Buffalo needs to build a team, and I'd rather have Eichel + Girgensens and continue building my team.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
See this is tough, because I agree the value of Eichel + Girgensens = McDavid, but at the end of the day, Buffalo needs to build a team, and I'd rather have Eichel + Girgensens and continue building my team.

Buffalo doesn't need marketing help and adding Eichel to their other young prospects is enough to get everyone in this town on board to continue to sell out season tickets, etc. The last time Buffalo had anything this exciting was the Drury Briere days but that group came out of nowhere and was over in 3 years when 2007 free agency hit.

Eichel also helps marketing as he is American, also a budding young superstar. Not worth adding fan favorite and future captain Girgensons.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
McDavid is a more deadly finisher than Eichel in close near the goalie at this point. If Eichel can get better there, I think he can, look out.

I've noticed this as well. Eichel's long stick is helpful with his reach, dangles, and release, but definitely hurts him a bit when he's in tight, whereas McDavid is an elite finisher when he's 1 on 1 with the goalie.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I've noticed this as well. Eichel's long stick is helpful with his reach, dangles, and release, but definitely hurts him a bit when he's in tight, whereas McDavid is an elite finisher when he's 1 on 1 with the goalie.

I think this is where McDavid separates himself from Eichel as a player. McDavid can be his own set up man, and his own finisher. Eichel has goal scoring ability, but he needs to play with a finisher to truly maximize his talent.

I would trade Girgensons + Eichel for McDavid, because the team that comes out of a trade with the best player wins. But I believe it would slow the Sabres rebuild. They would now need another top 6 forward, and the FA market is thin already. That is a trade that I would have very mixed feelings about.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I think this is where McDavid separates himself from Eichel as a player. McDavid can be his own set up man, and his own finisher. Eichel has goal scoring ability, but he needs to play with a finisher to truly maximize his talent.

I would trade Girgensons + Eichel for McDavid, because the team that comes out of a trade with the best player wins. But I believe it would slow the Sabres rebuild. They would now need another top 6 forward, and the FA market is thin already. That is a trade that I would have very mixed feelings about.

I would not.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Eichel has a better shot, puck protection, and is more powerful driving wide, but I don't understand how anyone can say he's a better skater than McDavid. Even if he had the acceleration and top end speed that McDavid has (hard to compare in different leagues, but I think McDavid still edges him here), McDavids lateral movement and ability to change directions is on another level. McDavid also sees the game on a whole other level and has world class vision and hands that very few players are capable of using successfully at such high speeds.

I don't think the difference between the 2 is astronomical, but I do think there is still a little more than a minimal difference separating the two. I also think Eichel is more physically developed than McDavid, and that McDavid has more room to grow in that regard. Only time will tell, but I would bet McDavid ends up the better player by a noticeable margin.

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
Sabres fan here.

Though I'm extremely excited for Eichel, I traveled to Erie quite a few times to see McDavid play, including a 5 goal performance. McDavid is just off the charts.

Some Sabres fans believe, which is fine, that they are similar in talent and potential. They are not.

However, we can be realistically excited, because Eichel projects to be a great, franchise-type center. We have a collection of awesome young talent too.

The future is bright in Pegulaville.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

This post makes no sense. Eichel can most certainly makes plays on his own and is fully capable of putting the puck in the net. We're at the point where **** is being made up to justify creating this chasm between he and McDavid. It doesn't exist.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Sabres fan here.

Though I'm extremely excited for Eichel, I traveled to Erie quite a few times to see McDavid play, including a 5 goal performance. McDavid is just off the charts.

Some Sabres fans believe, which is fine, that they are similar in talent and potential. They are not.

However, we can be realistically excited, because Eichel projects to be a great, franchise-type center. We have a collection of awesome young talent too.

I'm pretty sure every sabres fan agrees that mcdavid is better. He just won the top pick on our forums in a 90-10 favor.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Sabres fan here.

McDavid is off the charts because he played in a higher scoring league against younger competition

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Sabres fan here.

Well said. Most people think Eichel will be the greatest American player ever, yet some of his fans seem to get personally offended when someone says McDavid is clearly better. I don't get it, it's like if someone said Orr was clearly better than Lidstrom and Swedish fans getting upset about it (that would never happen).

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Well said. Most people think Eichel will be the greatest American player ever, yet some of his fans seem to get personally offended when someone says McDavid is clearly better. I don't get it, it's like if someone said Orr was clearly better than Lidstrom and Swedish fans getting upset about it (that would never happen).

Who are all these fans that get offended when someone things McDavid is better? Most everyone agrees that McDavid is better. That's not really the issue. What is up for debate is the gap between the two. I'm in the camp that thinks the gap is pretty small, but there is a gap.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Eichel has a better shot, puck protection, and is more powerful driving wide, but I don't understand how anyone can say he's a better skater than McDavid. Even if he had the acceleration and top end speed that McDavid has (hard to compare in different leagues, but I think McDavid still edges him here), McDavids lateral movement and ability to change directions is on another level. McDavid also sees the game on a whole other level and has world class vision and hands that very few players are capable of using successfully at such high speeds.

I don't think the difference between the 2 is astronomical, but I do think there is still a little more than a minimal difference separating the two. I also think Eichel is more physically developed than McDavid, and that McDavid has more room to grow in that regard. Only time will tell, but I would bet McDavid ends up the better player by a noticeable margin.

Eichel has unbelievable vision. I don't know how you compare vision between one player or another but i know watching Eichel a lot lately you would think he has eyes in the back of his head.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Who are all these fans that get offended when someone things McDavid is better? Most everyone agrees that McDavid is better. That's not really the issue. What is up for debate is the gap between the two. I'm in the camp that thinks the gap is pretty small, but there is a gap.

I agree there is a gap... Only way to figure out who is better is meeting in the Stanley cup finals. How does 2017,2018,2019 sound? Best of Three?:naughty:

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
McDavid is off the charts because he played in a higher scoring league against younger competition

McDavid looked much better than Eichel at the WJHC as well. level playing field but small sample size.

Eichel would have been first overall every year up until 2009 (Tavares). He just happened to be in the same draft as a generational talent

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm pretty sure every sabres fan agrees that mcdavid is better. He just won the top pick on our forums in a 90-10 favor.

And at least 2 of the people voting Eichel said they didn't realize McDavid was even in the poll because they figured the polls would just start where our pick is. Most everyone thinks McDavid is a better prospect. There is simply an argument over how big the gap is and an issue over how those relative few who act like it's a monumental gap try and minimize Eichel with outlandish criticisms.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I think it will be like a Crosby vs. Getzlaf type of gap. Some people might consider that to be a small gap since it's a generational player vs. a superstar player, whereas others might see it as a large gap because generational players are so much more rare.

In watching both, McDavid's ability to read and react to the play at incredible speed is what separates him, a quality he shares with Crosby.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I think it will be like a Crosby vs. Getzlaf type of gap. Some people might consider that to be a small gap since it's a generational player vs. a superstar player, whereas others might see it as a large gap because generational players are so much more rare.

In watching both, McDavid's ability to read and react to the play at incredible speed is what separates him, a quality he shares with Crosby.

While I understand this, I'm just seeing the way Eichel is reading the game while playing against NHL/KHL'ers, and it is a wonderful thing to see. While Crosby/Getzlaf is a possiblity, so is Crosby/Malkin. We'll see over time. Either way, Buffalo and Edmonton are in good shape for both of them.

Oh, and for the other discussion, no, I would not give up Girgensons and Eichel for McDavid. Girgensons is going to be very useful for Buffalo going forward, and hard to replace.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
McDavid looked much better than Eichel at the WJHC as well. level playing field but small sample size.

Eichel would have been first overall every year up until 2009 (Tavares). He just happened to be in the same draft as a generational talent

The World Juniors should be removed as a thing against Eichel now that we can see him against players that are NHL stars, including Malkin. It shows that people that were downgrading Eichel for being the focus of a non-star studded US roster were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad