Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
This doesn't make sense. He's not talking about stats.

I'm talking about more than just stats though. I think we would have seen more sick highlight reel snipes and dangles from Eichel if he was in the OHL because it is simply a much more exciting and offensive league with weaker goaltending. The NCAA has a more defensive game and fantastic goaltending for the most part, especially within Eichel's division (Demko, Peterson, Gillies, etc.)

I think why a lot of people value McDavid so highly is because of all of his highlight reel stuff (which is drool worthy), but I don't think he'll be able to dance around NHL defenders or deke out goalies as much as he does in juniors. Now this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong and I hope Connor proves me wrong. He will still be a fantastic NHL player, in my opinion he will be as good if not better than Crosby.

I just think Eichel will be just as good, perhaps even better than McDavid throughout some stretches of his career. He just has everything you want in a franchise center: swagger, leadership, speed, strength, size, a deadly shot, awesome hair, elite beer drinking ability. He brings everything that McDavid brings to the table, yet some are convinced that he is not even on the same level as #97

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I just think Eichel will be just as good, perhaps even better than McDavid throughout some stretches of his career. He just has everything you want in a franchise center: swagger, leadership, speed, strength, size, a deadly shot, awesome hair, elite beer drinking ability. He brings everything that McDavid brings to the table, yet some are convinced that he is not even on the same level as #97

He doesn't have the same level of hockey sense as McDavid, but that's okay, because nobody else does either. He's still elite in that regard though.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
This has turned into ........Lemiuex was as good as Gretzky.........arguments whom are all instigated by Lemieux fans.

Now we have Sabres fans constantly trying to prove Eichel is as good as Mc David. He isnt.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
This has turned into ........Lemiuex was as good as Gretzky.........arguments whom are all instigated by Lemieux fans.

Now we have Sabres fans constantly trying to prove Eichel is as good as Mc David. He isnt.

Let's just wait and see how they play in the NHL :)

tripleX

Feb 22, 2010

Actually most Sabres fans are saying McDavid is better than Eichel, it's McDavid fans get offended when people say the gap is not as big as they think.

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
Man you nailed it. It's all about the oilers.

You said you liked Eichel for the Oilers, but now you are protesting when other people think they are close? I'm lost.

He said he thought they were close a few months ago and got ridiculed by most. Now it seems to be a more popular opinion.

I have no idea if this is true, I have not really read the thread as as whole. But that's what he was saying.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Oilers fan here - I personally believe Eichel will have a better first year and win the Calder. McDavid will be the better player in the long run IMO, but you can't go wrong with either. I'm really excited to watch these 2 develop... it will be another Crosby/Ovechkin. :yo:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
McDavid is better and I'm a huge fan of his as evidenced by me saying he will be in contention for the Art Ross as a rookie but even I have to stand back and laugh at some of the Goaltending in the CHL playoffs this year. The European rule has really made CHL Goaltending into a joke.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Actually most Sabres fans are saying McDavid is better than Eichel, it's McDavid fans get offended when people say the gap is not as big as they think.

Yeah, McDavid is better than Eichel yet they think 1) he'll at best score 5 points more than Eichel 2) some think Eichel will be the better pro player 3) many say they wouldn't trade much more than #2 to get McDavid or even that they wouldn't trade #2 to get McDavid. Those are all comments from people who would "say" (but clearly not think) that McDavid is definitely better than Eichel.

You can keep saying you think something but when your posts clearly show that maybe you do think Eichel is better (it wouldn't be controversial to say someone who thinks a player will be better or doesn't have much of a difference in value is saying that player is better).

There's plenty of Buffalo and American posters getting offended when someone suggests the difference between Eichel and McDavid isn't negligible. Which for the Buffalo fan's is hilarious because if they had won the lottery they'd probably be arguing that the gap is huge. That's evident from before and after the lottery posts. I don't know how many times it needs to be said, the people arguing for Eichel being close to McDavid are just as biased as those thinking the gap is huge. But instead in this thread it seems like only people arguing for McDavid are biased and everyone else is an unbiased, neutral observer.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Eichel is a fantastic player who has it all for sure. He will dominate on the ice every game. He has elements of top players in the game and combinds them together to become a real force to be reckoned with.

However I see McDavid as having that 1 extra gear that separates him from other players, the 'It' factor that he could produce something you have never seen before at any moment. That is not a shot at Eichel, who will be a hall of famer. It's just that McDavid might be a player that you only see once in a generation who could change the game. That is just my view.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Eichel is a fantastic player who has it all for sure. He will dominate on the ice every game. He has elements of top players in the game and combinds them together to become a real force to be reckoned with.

However I see McDavid as having that 1 extra gear that separates him from other players, the 'It' factor that he could produce something you have never seen before at any moment. That is not a shot at Eichel, who will be a hall of famer. It's just that McDavid might be a player that you only see once in a generation who could change the game. That is just my view.

McDavid's ability, in his hands and head, to do everything at his considerable top speed is definitely his defining characteristic. Eichel can operate at full speed but it's just not quite the same. Part of that is he isn't as crazy a stickhandler as McDavid. I can't really think of anyone other than maybe Bure who could play at full speed, weave, and stickhandle in a way similar to McDavid.

mkwong268

Dec 30, 2011
Oilers fan here - I personally believe Eichel will have a better first year and win the Calder. McDavid will be the better player in the long run IMO, but you can't go wrong with either. I'm really excited to watch these 2 develop... it will be another Crosby/Ovechkin. :yo:

Ugh... The Oilers are never going to win a Calder are we...

tripleX

Feb 22, 2010
Yeah, McDavid is better than Eichel yet they think 1) he'll at best score 5 points more than Eichel 2) some think Eichel will be the better pro player 3) many say they wouldn't trade much more than #2 to get McDavid or even that they wouldn't trade #2 to get McDavid. Those are all comments from people who would "say" (but clearly not think) that McDavid is definitely better than Eichel.

It's funny that (1) and (3) actually supports what I just said that "it's McDavid fans get offended when people say the gap is not as big as they think.".

Both (1) and (3) do mean McDavid is better, but the gap is not as big as some think, which angers certain people.

For (2), most people are saying McDavid is better than Eichel, but some say they won't be surprised that Eichel plays better in pro because they feel his game is more suited for current NHL. I'm not saying it's correct or not, but it's like people are getting angry when some say a player drafted later may have a better career than a player drafted before him, which all know happen all the time.

It may or may not be the case for McDavid or Eichel, but getting angry by this note is silly.

You can keep saying you think something but when your posts clearly show that maybe you do think Eichel is better (it wouldn't be controversial to say someone who thinks a player will be better or doesn't have much of a difference in value is saying that player is better).

Again, most are saying McDavid is better, especially as a prospect currently. (1) to (3) above do not contradict that.

There's plenty of Buffalo and American posters getting offended when someone suggests the difference between Eichel and McDavid isn't negligible. Which for the Buffalo fan's is hilarious because if they had won the lottery they'd probably be arguing that the gap is huge. That's evident from before and after the lottery posts. I don't know how many times it needs to be said, the people arguing for Eichel being close to McDavid are just as biased as those thinking the gap is huge. But instead in this thread it seems like only people arguing for McDavid are biased and everyone else is an unbiased, neutral observer.

Most do not say the difference between Eichel and McDavid is negligible, in fact, most agree McDavid is clearly better than Eichel now. Furthermore, most agree that there is a gap between the two, but whenever it's suggested that the gap isn't as big as some think, these people are unhappy.

neutral observer? it really doesn't like you are a neutral observer by what you write here. :laugh:

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
Assuming they're both healthy, I think it's less possible for Eichel to have better rookie season - or - I should rather say, to win points-based Calder. I mean, firstly, after watching his very good performances at WHC I have to claim that his biggest asset it's not points production and raw scoring, but his versatility showing on ice in his every shift, great puck protection, controlling tempo in offensive zone etc. He's outscored in his own team by Trevor Lewis and Brook Nelson, but his value is just bigger than these stats, and bigger than what Lewis and Nelson are giving on ice. That's why I think he will make something like 25+35 in his rookie season, and it will last a while before he starts to dominate scoring tables. And it's nothing against him, he's just a player who understand that he doesn't need to dominate his team in terms of shooting to dominate an ice. Ideal type of franchise player on his position, with his mindset, versatility and ability to dominate in many ways. That's very impressive.

But on the other hand, McDavid will play with some terrific support, and I have to admit that he won't have any troubles in adopting to the league. Yeah, he won't be able to make these easy moves on opponents, or toy with goaltenders in a way he's showing it in Otters, but this combination of skating and vision may be the most remarkable thing in NHL since a very long time, when Crosby's peak was destroyed by health. This making advantages on ice when he possesses a puck, with his skating, duel's ability and Crosby's hockey IQ will be deadly since the beginning and let's imagine how it will combine with Eberle hands and Hall explosiveness.

Right now, I'm starting to think, while I'm watching Hall-Eberle duo at the WHC, that in terms of scoring, McDavid may be as good as Crosby was in his rookie season. Sid had 81,5% of Joe Thornton points, and right now, even if we adjusted it to Crosby's 13/14 season, it gives us something like 84 points, and Hall was alone on pace for 87 pts that year. Crosby was a bit better as a prospect offensively than McDavid, but on the other hand, in his rookie season, second best scorer in his team was Gonchar.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009

If I can make it through my HF Boards experience, never wasting my time to write a post like that, I will consider it a small victory, and life is all about the little things.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I ****ing hate Edmonton too but I hope they turn it around.

Why I hate Edmonton? They did everything wrong for like 7 years and somehow luckily wound up with McDavid.

If they had not won the lottery MacT is still likely the GM and Nelson the coach.

At least they realized how badly there were ****ing up and made amends for it as soon as they won the lottery.

Oilers are going to turn the corner and take over Chicago in a few years time. I've got no doubt about it. They have basically been idiot proofed by winning the lottery.

McDavid, RNH, Hall, Drai, Hall, Yakupov, Eberle...That's a cup winning offense. Now they need to hope Nurse turns into a stud and they find some more quality D in the next few years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The way I see it:

Next year Eichel has a more impactful rookie season, but McDavid puts up more points and wins calder. McDavid will get Hall as a linemate and thats about as good as you can get. However McDavid will has to adjust as he wont be able to dance around defenders as easily as he does now. Hell have to learn to switch it up to shooting more, or passing off. Also down low hell have to get stronger and learn to adjust to smaller passing lanes

Eichel is bigger and more ready for the pro game. He will be able to break there clutchign and grabbing being bigger.

In the second and later years McDavid will learn to adapt and will be stronger, hell be better then. But Eichel will have 3-4 better seasons over the next 15 years

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I ****ing hate Edmonton too but I hope they turn it around.

Why I hate Edmonton? They did everything wrong for like 7 years and somehow luckily wound up with McDavid.

If they had not won the lottery MacT is still likely the GM and Nelson the coach.

At least they realized how badly there were ****ing up and made amends for it as soon as they won the lottery.

Oilers are going to turn the corner and take over Chicago in a few years time. I've got no doubt about it. They have basically been idiot proofed by winning the lottery.

McDavid, RNH, Hall, Drai, Hall, Yakupov, Eberle...That's a cup winning offense. Now they need to hope Nurse turns into a stud and they find some more quality D in the next few years.

After 9 years without playoffs, possibly setting the record next season with 10. That's a decade without playoff hockey when 53% of teams make the playoffs each year. They deserve a Stanley after that suffering. :laugh:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012

How big do people think the gap is?

Crosby to Tavares/Stamkos?
Crosby to Toews/Kopitar?

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
How big do people think the gap is?

Crosby to Tavares/Stamkos?
Crosby to Toews/Kopitar?

The first one. Eichel has the potential to be on the same tier (or in my opinion higher due to his absolutely elite skating) as tavares/stammer. Hard to know for sure but the potential is there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad