Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part III | UPD: Will Play Tuesday!!!!!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If anything, the injuries to McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins should make you feel less comfortable losing one of them.

If they do trade Nuge, it would have to be post-season and with another centre on the way.

Pretty much. If they deal Nuge they need to find a 3C who can play 2C and not look completely out of place if injuries arise. Letestu can spot duty at 3C, but should be the 4C going forward.

I'd still rather keep Nuge if they can find a way to fix the D with picks, Eberle, Yak, etc. Gives us way better depth Having Drai, McD and Nuge, and Nuge already looked great playing with Hall and Drai. I'm sure he wouldn't look out of place on McDavid's wing either.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So far what Ive seen out of McDavid is that he reminds me a ton of Pavel Bure, but he also has the hands and takeaway skill of Datsyuk. Vision is next level too

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
So far what Ive seen out of McDavid is that he reminds me a ton of Pavel Bure, but he also has the hands and takeaway skill of Datsyuk. Vision is next level too

That looked a bit like Lemieux last night. Doesn't need to have the puck on his stick to be in control of it.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
What surprised was he kind of one-timed a snapchat from somewhere around the hashmarks after one of Pouliot/Eberle passed it to him from behind the net. Seemed like a bad angle but he got that puck off way faster than their goalie could react. I don't know where it went and I hope someone remembers it better than I do. It hit the side of the net, the post, or just clipped their goalies pad. That was damn close to going in and I wish he would shoot the puck more often.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
What surprised was he kind of one-timed a snapchat from somewhere around the hashmarks after one of Pouliot/Eberle passed it to him from behind the net. Seemed like a bad angle but he got that puck off way faster than their goalie could react. I don't know where it went and I hope someone remembers it better than I do. It hit the side of the net, the post, or just clipped their goalies pad. That was damn close to going in and I wish he would shoot the puck more often.

He's got a great release. It's just instagram off his stick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Even when hes pressured and people are taking away myspace he still finds a way to make a play

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What was our bet again jadeddog? How many goals was it? He may miss 1/2 the season and still hit that mark!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What was our bet again jadeddog? How many goals was it? He may miss 1/2 the season and still hit that mark!

Speaking of goals. I really look forward to when he gets some more confidence with his shot. Imagine how much deadlier he'll be when he becomes a threat to score from the outside on the powerplay. Will open up even more options for him.

His shot isn't there yet, but with the way he seems to work off the ice, just like with Crosby, I wont be surprised at all if in a couple years he's worked on his shot and it becomes borderline elite.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

this is what i have in my Google calendar: "2 month avatar bet with BBO. BBO thinks McDavid will score more than 16 goals this year if he plays 70 or more games." so you are off the hook either way, but yeah, i still might lose, lol

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Speaking of goals. I really look forward to when he gets some more confidence with his shot. Imagine how much deadlier he'll be when he becomes a threat to score from the outside on the powerplay. Will open up even more options for him.

His shot isn't there yet, but with the way he seems to work off the ice, just like with Crosby, I wont be surprised at all if in a couple years he's worked on his shot and it becomes borderline elite.

yeah his shot is certainly average at best.... i think he will improve on it, i just don't know how much he will be able to improve it.... i personally don't think it will ever be considered "a plus" of his, but i could be wrong.... if he can get it to average/slightly-above-average, and also learn to be willing to shoot more, that will be enough to open up space for him

i think the big problem will be that dmen will learn to not get beat in close, and force mcdavid to shoot,.... they will be backing off though, to prevent getting beat in close, so he should be able to take a lot of those shots in pretty close, which will help his shot%

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
this is what i have in my Google calendar: "2 month avatar bet with BBO. BBO thinks McDavid will score more than 16 goals this year if he plays 70 or more games." so you are off the hook either way, but yeah, i still might lose, lol

Wouldn't BBO lose by default? :sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Who remembers in the summer when Stamkos said McDavid was better then him right now? Pretty accurate statement :sarcasm:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

His shot doesn't even have to be that good to be deadly. Look at last night's powerplay goal, when he wound up to shoot and the goalie came out, he went right around him and almost tucked it in. It still ended up in a goal. Goalies are going to realize that he's nearly unstoppable in close, so they'll stay back in the net, and he'll be able to a) surprise them with a quick shot, and b) have tons of net to shoot at.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I have to think there was something said by the league to the officials.

How many calls did McDavid get in his first game back one or two? I dont think he was getting calls earlier this year. In fact I think he was injured on a play where the defender was holding his leg all the way in from the blue line.

Probably a coincidence and not enough games to tell for sure....or im generalizing from early season gongshow reffing.

But if true its hilarious since the refs have been corpse-****ing us on interference calls.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have to think there was something said by the league to the officials.

How many calls did McDavid get in his first game back one or two? I dont think he was getting calls earlier this year. In fact I think he was injured on a play where the defender was holding his leg all the way in from the blue line.

Probably a coincidence and not enough games to tell for sure....or im generalizing from early season gongshow reffing.

But if true its hilarious since the refs have been corpse-****ing us on interference calls.

He just drew one last night. He leads the Oilers in penalties drawn per 60 minutes. He's been drawing them all year (well... all first month + 1 game).

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Skates with the puck like Bure, hands of Datsyuk/Kane, and looks similar to Fedorov in the way he hounds the puck down off guys in the neutral zone. The best part of making statements like this is how I'm being totally serious. I still can't believe this guy is on our team...

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just sat and watched through some old Peter Forsberg highlights and it struck me that McDavid is actually not too dissimilar from him. Connor doesn't have the physical nastiness that Forsberg had but he's very similar in the way he can make opponents look completely silly and the way he never quits on a play. Last nights assist to Eberle was a typical Forsberg play actually. So, as someone who got into hockey thanks to Forsberg and hold him in very high regard, I'm pretty psyched about McDavid. Just one of another million reasons to be excited about him, of course.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Just sat and watched through some old Peter Forsberg highlights and it struck me that McDavid is actually not too dissimilar from him. Connor doesn't have the physical nastiness that Forsberg had but he's very similar in the way he can make opponents look completely silly and the way he never quits on a play. Last nights assist to Eberle was a typical Forsberg play actually. So, as someone who got into hockey thanks to Forsberg and hold him in very high regard, I'm pretty psyched about McDavid. Just one of another million reasons to be excited about him, of course.

My comparison since the first time I saw him has always been Forsberg with the skating of Fedorov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad