Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part III | UPD: Will Play Tuesday!!!!!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

I want him to come back after the All Star break even if he is ready a week before then. No need to rush anything with him

when i first looked at the calendar and when i thought he would come back, this was be exact thought.... even if he is ready a week before the all-star game, you wait until after it to give him another 2 or so weeks of healing.... it just makes sense

My one Christmas wish is for a McDavid on boxing day please and thanks.

All I want for Christmas, is a healthy McDavid.

I hope so. I don't get all these don't rush him guys, if he is 100% he is 100%, if you wait two more weeks after that he won't go to 105%, doesn't work like that.

It was interesting that when Chiarelli was asked about if the timing of going back to Boston so soon after their last game meant anything, he said something along the lines of "No, the timing doesn't mean anything to me, aside from the fact that it's before Christmas"....

He knows ;)

That's dumb, if he's healthy before then he should play.

What you don't like holding guys out 13 weeks for a 6 week injury?

December 29th against the Kings. That's my prediction.

December 26th, McDavid returns. Calgary and Edmonton both don't lose until that meeting.

The Force. Its calling to him.

Damn I'm so pumped for when this kid comes back

There was so much pressure on McDavid to start this season with so much expectations. And the Oilers were struggling as a team early in the year. It must have been draining on him. I'm looking forward to seeing McDavid return to the lineup now while the team is playing so well, which means there will be less pressure on him now to help turn things around. I think he's gonna thrive once he gets back from this break.

And this is the reason why Oilers have to keep things hush hush to EDM media and fans.
The force in Edmonton seems to call players back too early because they want the short term entertainment. We have waited a decade .. I am willing to suppress the force and wait an extra month.

you're tempting fate pretty hard core. We'll have to go through some good teams for that to happen, and it's not like we're winning all these games comfortably so far.

Imo we're just flipping a coin and always getting heads. Having said that, I do feel our 'true' winning probability has increased as the season has gone on. We are better.

Oilers games starting DEC 21st: Jets > VAN> CGY > LA > ANA

Oilers games after Jan 01 : ARI > CAR > TB > FLA > ARI

There is 0 chance Oilers rush McDavid back in Dec and throw him against the "bigger" teams right away.

Aside from CHI game, all the other games are winnable in december. NYR are struggling 2-6-2 in last 10 and a 3 game losing streak. That defense is weak with Klein out.

Flames would be the toughest game after CHI..

but if he's ready, he's ready. He broke his collarbone, which isn't a joint and they even said that when it's healed it will be stronger than it was before even due to the reinforcement.

We want to shelter McDavid, but we also want to make the playoffs. Priority #1 is his health of course, but that second priority matters a lot too. Again, I agree we shouldn't rush him but it's not like we'd be paying off doctors to clear him.

Oilers always have a tough time against LA and Anaheim..despite Anaheim's record

Last edited:

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
The thing is, he's a good enough player to literally drag us into the playoffs by himself, that's how dominant he could be if he comes back healthy and fresh and hungry.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
I see that Eichel finally passed McDavid in rookie scoring.... yeah, he's totally "just as good" (other teams fans') :shakehead

So excited for when he comes back.. more confident and more hungry. I don't think he'll be able to catch Panarin for points at this point.. but I can see him in the Top 3 for sure. Larkin is 3rd right now with 22... I haven't taken the time to do the math, but Connor was scoring at .92 pts/game as an 18 year old just getting his feet wet.. I wouldn't be surprised if he's up around ~1.2 when he comes back.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
I see that Eichel finally passed McDavid in rookie scoring.... yeah, he's totally "just as good" (other teams fans') :shakehead

So excited for when he comes back.. more confident and more hungry. I don't think he'll be able to catch Panarin for points at this point.. but I can see him in the Top 3 for sure. Larkin is 3rd right now with 22... I haven't taken the time to do the math, but Connor was scoring at .92 pts/game as an 18 year old just getting his feet wet.. I wouldn't be surprised if he's up around ~1.2 when he comes back.

If you exclude the game he was injured in, due to the fact that he only played part of the game, he was scoring at a ppg pace.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
He will be good, but man did they over hype Eichel to the max.

Agreed.. Eichel will be a star.. but he's nowhere near "McDavid good". TSN needs to create a story every year with the top 2 kids in the draft.. but the true #1 is usually pretty clear-cut.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Agreed.. Eichel will be a star.. but he's nowhere near "McDavid good". TSN needs to create a story every year with the top 2 kids in the draft.. but the true #1 is usually pretty clear-cut.

To be fair what Eichel did last year was very special.
Dominating in that league as a 18yo requires elite skill. Some were comparing him to 18yo Lemieux in terms of size and style of play. McDavid is generational but Eichel is a once a decade kinda player as well. Better than the Mckinnon\RNh\Yak tier for sure.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Eichel is damn good. Hes stalled a little bit, but hes still a driver of offense for the Sabres. He'll steal the best american player title from Kane in the next 5 years.

Also, any update on Connor?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Khl doesnt like them, could be the bigger rinks!:sarcasm:

McD 2014, round 2 #77 overall by Medvescak Zagreb in the KHL Draft

Eich 2013, round 2 #52 overall by Vityaz Podolsk in the KHL Draft

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ya, Eichel definitely seems like his peak is a Hall/Tavares type instead of a Crosby/Ovi. It's not surprising though. There'd be way less hype around the draft if there's no debate about who should go 1st.

Hey, Hall without the injuries would probaly be considered one of the best players in the game. His seasons would be as follows over 82 games would be:

53,71,91,87,59 (eakins disaster),90(this year)

if thats his realisic upside (or Tavares), thats pretty solid

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
To be fair what Eichel did last year was very special.
Dominating in that league as a 18yo requires elite skill. Some were comparing him to 18yo Lemieux in terms of size and style of play. McDavid is generational but Eichel is a once a decade kinda player as well. Better than the Mckinnon\RNh\Yak tier for sure.

It was impressive, but it still isn't the NHL. Plenty of players have dominated at lower tiers only to either not be as good as the hype or flat out falter and do nothing. Not saying Eichel will do that because he will not and be a darn good player. But I watch alot of Buffalo games and McDavid is on another level.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't wait for this kid to come back and get a chance to see him in 3 on 3 (did the Oilers make it to OT in any of the games he played? I honestly can't remember any). I think he would look just as dominant as Gaudreau does in it, and his speed on the transition will be insane to watch.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I can't wait for this kid to come back and get a chance to see him in 3 on 3 (did the Oilers make it to OT in any of the games he played? I honestly can't remember any). I think he would look just as dominant as Gaudreau does in it, and his speed on the transition will be insane to watch.

They did against one team. Other team scored on the first shift and he wasn't on.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
Ya, Eichel definitely seems like his peak is a Hall/Tavares type instead of a Crosby/Ovi. It's not surprising though. There'd be way less hype around the draft if there's no debate about who should go 1st.

Aside from the 'peaks' I'd take Tavares over Ovi career wise.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Really?

In their first 6 seasons (Tavares is now in his 7th) here's the awards they'd won in the NHL

Ovechkin: 1 Calder, 2 Hart's, 2 Richard's, 3 Lester B Pearson's
Tavares: .....

Ovechkin also hit 50+ goals in 4 of his first 6 seasons. Tavares hasn't cracked 40 yet.

Tavares is a great player, but in terms of career (and peak), Ovechkin laps him about a dozen times.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
We just need to stay in the playoff race until McDavid returns. Once he comes back....Watch out...

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hey, Hall without the injuries would probaly be considered one of the best players in the game. His seasons would be as follows over 82 games would be:

53,71,91,87,59 (eakins disaster),90(this year)

if thats his realisic upside (or Tavares), thats pretty solid

Oh I know. I didn't mean that as a slight. He has franchise player potential. Just not generational like McDavid

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

??

You would take a "good center" over who many consider to be the greatest goal scorer of all time?

Pass on the player with multiple harts, multiple art rosses, multiple Pearsons, and the greatest player of the last decade for someone who's 'pretty good'?

No offense, but that is just an absurd level of stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad