Connor McDavid part 1 season 1 edition (MOD: not assigned to Jr.)

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Something I saw at the end of last game was something a reported asked Mclellan about too. Just before Connor's goal, as Hall was shooting towards the net, McDavid did this weird play to push Muzzin away and get a whole bunch of space. That was weird to see because I'd never seen a play really do something like that.

Sky is truly the limit for this kid. I think he's the best player in the NHL at this point. He's looked a lot more effective out there than Benn, Seguin, Kopitar, Ovechkin so far. Have a feeling when we play the Pens you'll see him outshine Crosby too.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Something I saw at the end of last game was something a reported asked Mclellan about too. Just before Connor's goal, as Hall was shooting towards the net, McDavid did this weird play to push Muzzin away and get a whole bunch of space. That was weird to see because I'd never seen a play really do something like that.

Sky is truly the limit for this kid. I think he's the best player in the NHL at this point. He's looked a lot more effective out there than Benn, Seguin, Kopitar, Ovechkin so far. Have a feeling when we play the Pens you'll see him outshine Crosby too.

I think he will be better than those players as early as next season. But right now no. He has had some jaw dropping shifts, but also ones where you can tell he is still learning (don;t worry, he's a fast learner).

We would be a better team right now though with Seguin or Ovechkin. (I would never trade McDavid for either though)

Oh to think what a McDavid/Seguin 1/2 punch could have looked like...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Smart players make that play a lot. Perfectly time pushing a guy away from you to get that extra moment of freedom when the puck gets to you. Most of our top guys though are still puck watchers and don't think the extra step or 2 ahead like that. He's definitely not your every day #1 overall player :)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think he will be better than those players as early as next season. But right now no. He has had some jaw dropping shifts, but also ones where you can tell he is still learning (don;t worry, he's a fast learner).

We would be a better team right now though with Seguin or Ovechkin. (I would never trade McDavid for either though)

Eh, it's easy to play what if, but if we took Seguin instead of Hall, I'd guess that he'd look a lot worse than Hall does right now. Seguin doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude Hall does IMO - the losing would have gotten to him more. And then we'd potentially be looking at a Boston team with an extra cup perhaps, or maybe a ridiculous line where Benn shifted to Centre for Hall and now they have two incredible forwards who play physical.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Eh, it's easy to play what if, but if we took Seguin instead of Hall, I'd guess that he'd look a lot worse than Hall does right now. Seguin doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude Hall does IMO - the losing would have gotten to him more. And then we'd potentially be looking at a Boston team with an extra cup perhaps, or maybe a ridiculous line where Benn shifted to Centre for Hall and now they have two incredibly forwards who play physical.

I don't think Hall would've hate the "attitude problems" that Seguin had in Boston. He'd still be a Bruin if we drafted Seguin imo. I put attitude problems in quotes because I think it was overblown. Young superstars coming into the league will take a couple years to acclimatize to their new life. Seguins was just very public

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I don't think Hall would've hate the "attitude problems" that Seguin had in Boston. He'd still be a Bruin if we drafted Seguin imo. I put attitude problems in quotes because I think it was overblown. Young superstars coming into the league will take a couple years to acclimatize to their new life. Seguins was just very public

Eh again not to defame the guy but there is some decent reports that give good reason to why sequin was traded and it wasn't partying. Anyways I agree seguin wouldn't be the same player here.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I think this is the likely outcome as well. Hall very much seems like the type of player that the Bruins would covet. Likely would have developed into a much more physical player with Chara and Lucic covering his *** too.

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
Eh, it's easy to play what if, but if we took Seguin instead of Hall, I'd guess that he'd look a lot worse than Hall does right now. Seguin doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude Hall does IMO - the losing would have gotten to him more. And then we'd potentially be looking at a Boston team with an extra cup perhaps, or maybe a ridiculous line where Benn shifted to Centre for Hall and now they have two incredible forwards who play physical.

Hall's a Bruin for life if he were drafted second.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

And after scoring he pushed Muzzin down without effort. Muzzin is 6'3" 214 lbs.

... and this kid was thought by some to not be NHL ready.

I must say though, and it may be homerism but I am really trying to be objective, I have not seen anything like this for 25 years watching hockey regularly. It is difficult to put a finger on what he has that other great players don't have. Thinking and playing the game at incredible speed comes to mind but maybe the best way to describe it that he already has many attributes which are right up there with the best of players and more than that he seems to have an ability to adapt and learn at a scary pace.

As an Oiler fan I am terrified that he will disappoint, as so many have before him, but I honestly don't think it is likely.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Relating to a couple of other recent posts here re: McDavid. The one thing I've really noticed that many other great players do not exhibit is his seemingly amazing grasp of basic body mechanics. It's quite apparent to me that when he strips a puck, for instance, he will not only read where the puck will be, but also how to use his stick and body position to negate the other players advantage. It's really hard to put into words, so maybe another poster can expand my thoughts if they see what I am.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I tried to put it in words with "playing and thinking the game at incredible speed" but it was vague and your explanation is more precise. I'll also wait for someone smarter than me to put a finger on it.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Seguins an opportunistic floater with elite scoring touch. He's not the type to drive the play, Benn is the catalyst on that team. Without Jamie Benn, seguin is not near the player people seem to think he is.

Anywho, now that mcdavids got his feet wet at the NHL level, we're gonna see him start to take over games more and more as the season progresses. I'm hoping by the time we hit around 60 gms in, mcdavid will be singlehandedly winning games. It may not be by actually scoring points all the time, but by forcing the other teams attention solely on him which should make for some easy pickins for hall and co. to feast on.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Korpi-RNH-Eberle
Pou-McDavid-Yak
Hall-Lander-Pakarinen

That's how I'd go about it.

They should just go extreme and take Schultz off defense imo. What do they have to lose? Goals against? Bahaha

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Lander - Schultz
Hendricks - McD - Yak
Korpse - Letestu - Slepy
Klink

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Gryba
Reinhart - Davidson
Ference

Otherwise I'd like

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Lander - Hendricks
Slep/Korpse - McD - Yak
Korpse - Letestu - Klink

I think Hendo can be slotted anywhere at this point, he's diverse and actually has some creativity offensively.

oilz89*

PPG thru first 9 games of the year and doing in mostly at even strength. Amazing. RNH had similar point totals but got alot of the PP when we were top 5 in the league. McDavid could have 3-5 more points if the PP was hot

When the season started, I though Eichel would come out hotter as he already played against older guys. But McDavid has exceeded my expectations, hes flat out amazing

Hes making plays elite playmakers do with little backhand saucer passes or precise passing thru seems. Hes also scoring "lucky" goals that guys like Stamkos/JT/Ovy seem to do all the time, and hes playing a great all around game

Hopefully this obviosuly blown call gets him pissed off and he gets going even more than he already has. The call costs us a single point, but hopefully it rallies the players to score even more

Soo... does Connor need Junior time? :sarcasm:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
They should just go extreme and take Schultz off defense imo. What do they have to lose? Goals against? Bahaha

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Lander - Schultz
Hendricks - McD - Yak
Korpse - Letestu - Slepy
Klink

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Gryba
Reinhart - Davidson
Ference

Otherwise I'd like

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Slep/Korpse - McD - Yak
Korpse - Letestu - Klink

I think Hendo can be slotted anywhere at this point, he's diverse and actually has some creativity offensively.

Ya no. Pouliot needs to stay on that top line he is great in the boards and good at pressuring on the forecheck which opens up ice and creates turn overs. Personally I dont touch that line, it is working great.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Ya no. Pouliot needs to stay on that top line he is great in the boards and good at pressuring on the forecheck which opens up ice and creates turn overs. Personally I dont touch that line, it is working great.

Meh I'd go with what worked for most of the last season. McDavid will produce with or without him and what he brings can be emulated by Hendricks well enough, the board battling part anyway.

We need more than 1 line producing. I also want Pouliot playing more minutes.

oilz89*

I still can't believe we won that lottery. Absolutely incredible. I hope the team turns things around fast so that they can take advantage of McDavid's talent. I am terrified that he won't stay with the Oilers very long.

.... So in other words McDavids attitude and character make you think he will ask for a trade? :help:

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Lander - Schultz
Hendricks - McD - Yak
Korpse - Letestu - Slepy
Klink

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Gryba
Reinhart - Davidson
Ference

Otherwise I'd like

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Slep/Korpse - McD - Yak
Korpse - Letestu - Klink

Korpikoski shouldn't be anywhere near the top line. The Oilers have been out shot 76-38 while Korpikoski's been on the ice at even strength, which is just awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad