Connor McDavid part 1 season 1 edition (MOD: not assigned to Jr.)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
How did McDavid look against Washington. I know he had a goal and an assist but only saw those 2 plays. The goal was cheezy but you'll take those and a nice backhand saucer over the sliding defenseman.

He had some other flashes of dominance in there. But like many others, he was weak in his own end tonight. One goal was partially on him for poor coverage (Jultz takes the other 50% for letting his man get away)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Ya the city that won 3 first overall picks and had Gretzky, Coffey and messier in a generation prior. Such tortured souls.

Funny, everyone is so quick to remind Oiler fans that that was a whole lifetime ago when those guys played.

"Well, we'll always have Gretzky and five Stanley Cups."

"Hahahaha, idiots, that was so long ago, let it go!"

"I feel bad for Oiler fans after what they have gone through"

"You can't feel bad for them, they had Gretzky and Five Stanley Cups!"

Typical.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Caps fan here, got my first extended look at McDavid and I have to say, the kid looks like an exceptionally special player. It was kinda like the moment I saw Lebron play for the first time after hearing about him for so long. It was a yikes, those prognosticators weren't lying type of situation. The kid has insane speed and vision. Congrats to you guys for having the pleasure of seeing him develop and don the jersey for a decade plus.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Jagr rarely tweets to. The fact that he took the time to tweet about it shows how impressed he was... And this is coming from Jagr.
Max Domi also seems to have caught Jagr's eye.

"Selanne recently went on Twitter to say Domi is his pick to win the Calder Trophy. In addition, Jaromir Jagr told TSN he watched the Coyotes and thought Domi 'was [bleeping] unbelievable.'"

Heady praise from Selanne, but then he's obviously bias being a family friend. Video in the link is definitely worth a look. Early days, but this kid could be in serious consideration for the Calder. Nice to hear him talk about his dad and growing up in NHL rinks. Seems like a quality kid.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=784388

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Max Domi also seems to have caught Jagr's eye.

"Selanne recently went on Twitter to say Domi is his pick to win the Calder Trophy. In addition, Jaromir Jagr told TSN he watched the Coyotes and thought Domi 'was [bleeping] unbelievable.'"

Heady praise from Selanne, but then he's obviously bias being a family friend. Video in the link is definitely worth a look. Early days, but this kid could be in serious consideration for the Calder. Nice to hear him talk about his dad and growing up in NHL rinks. Seems like a quality kid.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=784388

Not to take this too far OT but I was hoping that we'd deal Gagner for a pick to land Domi back in his draft year. I know that Max wasn't NHL ready right away but he is strong for his size and has some high end skill. That said I think that we are in good hands now with McDavid, RNH and eventually Draisaitl :yo:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
... And this is coming from Jagr.

I don't really understand this point. I never do. Jagr has been a great player but why do people always trust his judgement on players? This is the same guy saying Hemsky was one of the brightest talents in the league.

Kind of ignored his school of thought after that one..

not saying Domi isn't a player I like the kid and he has all kinds of filthy snipe but its early.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He had some other flashes of dominance in there. But like many others, he was weak in his own end tonight. One goal was partially on him for poor coverage (Jultz takes the other 50% for letting his man get away)

I didn't think he looked weak in his own end. On the goal you're talking about yeah he should have tied up the guys stick, but he had body position on the guy and just got unlucky that after the puck hit the washington guys stick (and was going wide) it deflected off McDavid's stick and in. I thought it was the D that looked extremely weak last night, and was at fault for at least 5 of the goals.

McDavid looked very dangerous in the first 2 periods, and I still don't know how Letestu wasn't able to get a stick on that back door feed from McDavid after he walked through 2 guys. Thats one you gotta score, the pass was perfect on the ice, goalie was committed to McDavid and Letestu some how couldn't get his stick flat on the ice for the tap in, in fact he didn't even get a piece of the puck. Third period it seemed like our D couldn't get the puck onto McDavid's stick, and every forecheck we had on that line kept getting broken up. Overall he was probably the most dangerous Oiler again, he just couldn't force as many turnovers as he often does due to how skilled that Capitals team is at skating and moving the puck, as well as being heavy on the puck.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So he now has 5 goals, a 1/3 of the way there in all of 8 games :D
Two months seems like a short amount of time to use the avatar. Jadeddog should have to use it from the date McDavid scores #15 until the day after the last Oilers regular season/playoff game. Ya blew it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good chance you can work a holiday theme into that new avatar.:laugh:

I'm not big on the whole McJesus thing but a little baby McDavid in a manger would be :laugh: worthy.

The craziest thing about this thread is that it looks like BBO is going to win an avatar bet.

:D

I won one against spawn and he is currently sporting an avatar of my choice. The last win before that may well have been against jaddedog in terms of Eberle's shooting %! :laugh:

Two months seems like a short amount of time to use the avatar. Jadeddog should have to use it from the date McDavid scores #15 until the day after the last Oilers regular season/playoff game. Ya blew it.

Yeah pretty much, oh well I'll see what I can muster up for him when/if the time comes. He might be the only Oilers fan rooting for an injury to get out of the bet! :sarcasm:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not big on the whole McJesus thing but a little baby McDavid in a manger would be :laugh: worthy.

I won one against spawn and he is currently sporting an avatar of my choice. The last win before that may well have been against jaddedog in terms of Eberle's shooting %! :laugh:

Yeah pretty much, oh well I'll see what I can muster up for him when/if the time comes. He might be the only Oilers fan rooting for an injury to get out of the bet! :sarcasm:

ah, the much discussed eberle shooting % bet!

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Caps fan here, got my first extended look at McDavid and I have to say, the kid looks like an exceptionally special player. It was kinda like the moment I saw Lebron play for the first time after hearing about him for so long. It was a yikes, those prognosticators weren't lying type of situation. The kid has insane speed and vision. Congrats to you guys for having the pleasure of seeing him develop and don the jersey for a decade plus.

It really is amazing, isn't it? I've seen McDavid many times now between summer prospects camp, the Young Stars tournament, preseason, the first 8 games, and I still can't believe how good he is at hockey. One of those rare instances in life where you hear something or someone hyped beyond belief and walk away afterwards with the sense that they didn't quite say enough.

Drew Doughty just said that he's already heard from people that McDavid is our best player. Incredibly, on a team with two of the 15-20 best wingers in the world and one of its most promising two-way Cs, I think he's right. It's downright scary to think how good McDavid will be in 3-4 years. Hell, it's scary to think how good he'll be in February. He could definitely eclipse Crosby when all is said and done.

I can't believe I just typed that about an Oiler, but it's true.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Drew Doughty just said that he's already heard from people that McDavid is our best player. Incredibly, on a team with two of the 15-20 best wingers in the world and one of its most promising two-way Cs, I think he's right.

Certainly that promising two-way C and the non-injured 15-20 best winger aren't doing a whole lot to help their case as the team's best player thus far this season. Which isn't to **** on them unduly, but as other teams begin to focus on our new "best player" you'd expect those guys to start making a bunch of hay.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Here's what I'm interested with regarding McDavid this year.

Is he on a hot streak right now? Or is this the level of play we can expect all year and when he does got on hot streaks he'll take it to another level?

We don't have a baseline on this player yet.

space321

May 11, 2011
Here's what I'm interested with regarding McDavid this year.

Is he on a hot streak right now? Or is this the level of play we can expect all year and when he does got on hot streaks he'll take it to another level?

We don't have a baseline on this player yet.

The baseline is he's ****ing amazing. He's not gonna let the rookie scoring lead go from this point on imo.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Certainly that promising two-way C and the non-injured 15-20 best winger aren't doing a whole lot to help their case as the team's best player thus far this season. Which isn't to **** on them unduly, but as other teams begin to focus on our new "best player" you'd expect those guys to start making a bunch of hay.

the RNH line is still doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting... the disappointment to me so far has been our anemic bottom 6... we finally have 2 legit scoring lines so the 3rd line should be seeing a steady diet of 3rd pairing dmen and generating some chances - but they are certinaly not doing so

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
the RNH line is still doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting... the disappointment to me so far has been our anemic bottom 6... we finally have 2 legit scoring lines so the 3rd line should be seeing a steady diet of 3rd pairing dmen and generating some chances - but they are certinaly not doing so

This may be the way it is this year but add Eberle and Draisaitl and the depth changes fast. Maybe even as early as next year you could run a top 9 of

Pouliot McDavid Yak
Slepyshev Nuge Eberle
Hall Draisaitl Lander

or some variant of this grouping.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Man oh man. I missed most of the 3rd last night so I didn't see the "goal debacle" everyone is talking about. I did see the posts and proof that it was indeed in though. Then I decided to go to the post game interviews where the reporters were asking McD what he thought of the non goal. No matter how much the reporters insisted that he thought it might be in, McDavid said it was a good save by Quick, more than once. He stuck to his guns.

This kid just exudes class and leadership.

EDIT: I guess all of the Oilers concur with not disrespecting what the league called. The expressions on some of their faces tell another story though. Oh well. That's part of the game.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Man oh man. I missed most of the 3rd last night so I didn't see the "goal debacle" everyone is talking about. I did see the posts and proof that it was indeed in though. Then I decided to go to the post game interviews where the reporters were asking McD what he thought of the non goal. No matter how much the reporters insisted that he thought it might be in, McDavid said it was a good save by Quick, more than once. He stuck to his guns.

This kid just exudes class and leadership.

EDIT: I guess all of the Oilers concur with not disrespecting what the league called. The expressions on some of their faces tell another story though. Oh well. That's part of the game.

So true. I think it really shows the change in leadership from management down is having a positive effect on the players and their attitudes.

That said I would love to have a guy like JR on our team and hear his reaction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad