Connor McDavid part 1 season 1 edition (MOD: not assigned to Jr.)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Here's what I'm interested with regarding McDavid this year.

Is he on a hot streak right now? Or is this the level of play we can expect all year and when he does got on hot streaks he'll take it to another level?

We don't have a baseline on this player yet.

I think this is only a smidgeon of what he's capable of, that's the scary part.

You can see that he's playing conservatively a lot of times, is still struggling a bit with trying to crack NHL system play and is still trying to get a feel for the pro game. Once he gains full confidence and is able to dictate his pace on a regular basis, it's going to be a sight to behold. If anything, I think that some might have even underestimated how soon he would be THIS good.

It reminds me of when Lebron first burst onto the scene in the NBA.
I thought the hype was out of control and that there was no way he would live up to it until I saw him step onto the basketball court and realized that he would not only live up to it but perhaps even exceed it.
I'm really trying to temper expectations but this kid is making it impossible to do so.

However, I will say that Chia needs to bring in some help in the offseason if McDavid and the rest of this group is to reach its potential.
It's a sad testament when Klinkhammer was getting the best scoring chances outside of the McDavid line last night (and yes, I know that Hall scored the PP goal). Can't wait for Nurse, Klefbom and/or Reinhart to develop. Help on the blueline needs to be brought in and soon.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I think this is only a smidgeon of what he's capable of, that's the scary part.

You can see that he's playing conservatively a lot of times, is still struggling a bit with trying to crack NHL system play and is still trying to get a feel for the pro game. Once he gains full confidence and is able to dictate his pace on a regular basis, it's going to be a sight to behold. If anything, I think that some might have even underestimated how soon he would be THIS good.

It reminds me of when Lebron first burst onto the scene in the NBA.
I thought the hype was out of control and that there was no way he would live up to it until I saw him step onto the basketball court and realized that he would not only live up to it but perhaps even exceed it.
I'm really trying to temper expectations but this kid is making it impossible to do so.

However, I will say that Chia needs to bring in some help in the offseason if McDavid and the rest of this group is to reach its potential.
It's a sad testament when Klinkhammer was getting the best scoring chances outside of the McDavid line last night (and yes, I know that Hall scored the PP goal). Can't wait for Nurse, Klefbom and/or Reinhart to develop. Help on the blueline needs to be brought in and soon.

I said to my girlfriend quite a few times "If that was Eberle instead of Klink..." I can think of three opportunities in the third where he was set up beautifully.
Can't hold it against him like I could a genuine top 6 forward. But if Eberle was out there, we aren't as upset about McDavid 'not' scoring.

Speaking of, McDavid is next level with that speed. His raw skill is keeping him around a PPG pac

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I said to my girlfriend quite a few times "If that was Eberle instead of Klink..." I can think of three opportunities in the third where he was set up beautifully.
Can't hold it against him like I could a genuine top 6 forward. But if Eberle was out there, we aren't as upset about McDavid 'not' scoring.

Speaking of, McDavid is next level with that speed. His raw skill is keeping him around a PPG pac

The Hall-RNH-Eberle also gets shut down by the Kings generally. I actually think that Klink was a better fit for that line in this particular game than Eberle would have been. He was able to get some close in chances because of his size and strength and won a good deal of puck battles. It just shows how badly the Oilers need a more skilled version of Klink/Hendricks.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
PPG thru first 9 games of the year and doing in mostly at even strength. Amazing. RNH had similar point totals but got alot of the PP when we were top 5 in the league. McDavid could have 3-5 more points if the PP was hot

When the season started, I though Eichel would come out hotter as he already played against older guys. But McDavid has exceeded my expectations, hes flat out amazing

Hes making plays elite playmakers do with little backhand saucer passes or precise passing thru seems. Hes also scoring "lucky" goals that guys like Stamkos/JT/Ovy seem to do all the time, and hes playing a great all around game

Hopefully this obviosuly blown call gets him pissed off and he gets going even more than he already has. The call costs us a single point, but hopefully it rallies the players to score even more

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
PPG thru first 9 games of the year and doing in mostly at even strength. Amazing. RNH had similar point totals but got alot of the PP when we were top 5 in the league. McDavid could have 3-5 more points if the PP was hot

When the season started, I though Eichel would come out hotter as he already played against older guys. But McDavid has exceeded my expectations, hes flat out amazing

Hes making plays elite playmakers do with little backhand saucer passes or precise passing thru seems. Hes also scoring "lucky" goals that guys like Stamkos/JT/Ovy seem to do all the time, and hes playing a great all around game

Hopefully this obviosuly blown call gets him pissed off and he gets going even more than he already has. The call costs us a single point, but hopefully it rallies the players to score even more

He has been amazing, but didn't you hear Doug Maclean? Connor ain't winning the calder....There is a Domi for that...

Granted, Domi's played well, but I am making a bet with anyone that, barring injuries, Connor outscores him by 15pts at least, and Eichel by 10.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He has been amazing, but didn't you hear Doug Maclean? Connor ain't winning the calder....There is a Domi for that...

Granted, Domi's played well, but I am making a bet with anyone that, barring injuries, Connor outscores him by 15pts at least, and Eichel by 10.

Yeah I cant see Domi keeping it up. I think Domi is a great prospect and huge potential, but alot of young guys go on hot stretches to start a season. hell Arcobello led the league in assists the first 13 games of the lockout year

I think by the end of the year well see McDavid with 73 points and Eichel with 65. Eichels linemates have to start picking it up. Dude has zero assists thus far, thatll change

The PP needs to get going for McDavid, and if it does, watch out top 10 league scoring...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The Hall-RNH-Eberle also gets shut down by the Kings generally. I actually think that Klink was a better fit for that line in this particular game than Eberle would have been. He was able to get some close in chances because of his size and strength and won a good deal of puck battles. It just shows how badly the Oilers need a more skilled version of Klink/Hendricks.

It's easier to see in person than on TV but it is clear that with guys like Klinkhammer on the top line the opposition is cheating a fair bit towards Nuge especially, but Hall as well. Eberle would change that dynamic. But the actual answer might be Eberle and Nuge with a more physical player and Hall leading his own line since he really needs the puck to drive his game.

McDavid is also getting a lot of attention but he is just so fast and skilled that he can overcome the attention. More to the point his mind allows him to come up with options that other players would not think of. The last player who wore and Oiler uniform that I think could do what he can was Gretz. And as ridiculous as that sounds it is hard not to think back to the late 70's when you watch this kid play.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

I am thinking of Klink's high slot shot that he got a rebound on and then later up close. The second scoring opportunity he was relatively untouched. Not many players can elevate the puck in that circumstance. Eberle can. That's the one that stands out the most to me.

But yes, a skilled Klinkhammer/Hendricks would be a godsend.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

Eberle isn't going to solve anything. McLellan in his time with San Jose, and now 9 games into his tenure with the Oilers, has shown he wants a 'banger' with his skill guys.

He had Melker Karlsson playing top-6 minutes for example. McLellan seems to like to have depth throughout the roster (which I agree with) and to be able to roll out 3 scoring lines instead of overloading the top-6.

You're right we need to upgrade on Klink (a 4th liner), but it doesn't have to be a with a Lucic. Chances are we just need an upgrade on Hendricks. Not a world beater, but someone who is strong on the cycle, decent defensively, physical and can screen. Anything else is gravy. It's similar to what Anaheim does with Maroon on a line with Getzlaf-Perry or the Sedin twins with Hansen/Carter/Burrows.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's easier to see in person than on TV but it is clear that with guys like Klinkhammer on the top line the opposition is cheating a fair bit towards Nuge especially, but Hall as well. Eberle would change that dynamic. But the actual answer might be Eberle and Nuge with a more physical player and Hall leading his own line since he really needs the puck to drive his game.

McDavid is also getting a lot of attention but he is just so fast and skilled that he can overcome the attention. More to the point his mind allows him to come up with options that other players would not think of. The last player who wore and Oiler uniform that I think could do what he can was Gretz. And as ridiculous as that sounds it is hard not to think back to the late 70's when you watch this kid play.

Bingo.

I'd like to see that also but I can't see them breaking up the Poo-McDavid-Yak line and I can't see Hall being bumped down to the Lander line so it's more than likely that we see Hall-RNH-Eberle at least to start when Eberle returns. (sigh)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Point per game through 9 games, despite a slow start. He's getting better every game and the powerplay has been really poor. 80+ points doesn't seem out of touch with reality now at all.

The only concern is his super high shooting percentage right now, but I imagine that he'll start to shoot a bit more, plus he should see an uptick in Assists on powerplays as well.

There is no doubt that we are watching the early days of the soon to be best hockey player on the planet.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
His first goal stolen from him by the league's lack of intelligence. This kid is experiencing everything the league has to offer in a hurry.

You can see him really feeling his way into the league. He's still showing a lot of restraint out there, and that's good IMO. No need to just go all out before you are completely comfortable with the pace and ability of defenders at this level.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
The question isn't is Connor McDavid ready for the NHL, but.. is the NHL ready for Connor McDavid?

It is amazing how this 18 year old is just skating by NHL players like its nothing. How he creates something out of nothing is so impressive. If not for a few bad breaks, he could be leading the damn league in points. Truly a special player.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There is no doubt that we are watching the early days of the soon to be best hockey player on the planet.

HF will be a weird place. Normally you see united comments from all teams being like "Crosby/Ovy/Malkin are clear cut top 3" or "Crosby is untouchable, best player in the game" McDavid will now (likely) replace Crosby or Malkin in those quotes. In the past for Oilers players, even when they were good, the sentiment on HF was "theres a clear cut top 15 best forwards, Hall is around 30th, Eberle 150th, RNH is not NHL caliber"

Itll be weird having the best player in the NHL on the team I cheer for. Just after seeing the last 10 years of Crosby and wishing to god we could have gotten him

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
HF will be a weird place. Normally you see united comments from all teams being like "Crosby/Ovy/Malkin are clear cut top 3" or "Crosby is untouchable, best player in the game" McDavid will now (likely) replace Crosby or Malkin in those quotes. In the past for Oilers players, even when they were good, the sentiment on HF was "theres a clear cut top 15 best forwards, Hall is around 30th, Eberle 150th, RNH is not NHL caliber"

Itll be weird having the best player in the NHL on the team I cheer for. Just after seeing the last 10 years of Crosby and wishing to god we could have gotten him

I still can't believe we won that lottery. Absolutely incredible. I hope the team turns things around fast so that they can take advantage of McDavid's talent. I am terrified that he won't stay with the Oilers very long.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I bet leafs fans still wouldn't trade Rielly for him though ;)

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Overall our 3rd line has become horrendous. When Eberle comes back do you think we should move Hall with Lander? Korpse and Purcell completely kill that line, they're not 3rd liners at all.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Overall our 3rd line has become horrendous. When Eberle comes back do you think we should move Hall with Lander? Korpse and Purcell completely kill that line, they're not 3rd liners at all.

I don't think Korpi has been that bad in the games I've watched.

Feb 9, 2013
Korpi-RNH-Eberle
Pou-McDavid-Yak
Hall-Lander-Pakarinen

That's how I'd go about it.

I am thinking much the same thing... and on Connor, he really impressed me against the Kings. He doesn't look like a rookie out there. He plays physical, he was covering his man... I especially noticed it when he and Carter took a tumble in front of Talbot, and his defensive play is already very good. I get more impressed with him every time I see him play. I am excited to see what he will be like in his prime. I am starting to believe those who said he is the best prospect since Mario... and the TSN dude who rated him better than Mario.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I watched Connor for 4 years in Erie. We have season tickets, and missed very few games. I can only try to explain to people how amazing this guy is (on and off of the ice). Think about this-he scored 2 goals against SSM in the playoffs from behind the goal line. You just wait-you ain't seen nothin yet...

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I still can't believe we won that lottery. Absolutely incredible. I hope the team turns things around fast so that they can take advantage of McDavid's talent. I am terrified that he won't stay with the Oilers very long.

At the very minimum, oilers have mcdavid until he's 25, he's a restricted free agent until then. That's 7 garanteed years of the best player in hockey. What's more likely is that the oilers throw the max 8 year deal at mcdavid as soon as it's possible to do so. Which would make him an oiler until he's 29.

I think most still just can't believe that we actually got him and are halfway expecting the rug to be pulled from under us. And because we've been **** on the last decade it's almost as if people expect the league to say "sorry, we screwed up with the lottery, mcdavids a leaf now."

But that ain't happening, and he's all ours :banana: :cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad