Salary Cap: Connor & Laine Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
He has gotten to over a 100 goals as 18-19 old quicker than how many other players in this league, you are obviously forgetting that.

Oh so scoring at a young age makes him a generational player? Didn’t realize goals are all that matter. Thanks

Reactions: QuietContrarian

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
"There's term, there's AAV (average annual value), there's structure and clubs have to manage their cap, we have to represent our client," Liut said. "We have our convictions, they have theirs."

Chevy would be impressed at the vagueness of that answer and using so many words to say little.:sarcasm:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh so scoring at a young age makes him a generational player? Didn’t realize goals are all that matter. Thanks
Here's an interesting fact: the winner of a hockey game is determined by counting the number of goals scored by each team - and the team with the most goals wins! If the two teams score the same number of goals, then the tie is broken by who has the most hits, the team with the most heart, a vote by an impartial tribunal, Corsi, a shootout until one team ends up with more goals.

So as it turns out, goals matter quite a bit!

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Here's an interesting fact: the winner of a hockey game is determined by counting the number of goals scored by each team - and the team with the most goals wins! If the two teams score the same number of goals, then the tie is broken by who has the most hits, the team with the most heart, a vote by an impartial tribunal, Corsi, a shootout until one team ends up with more goals.

So as it turns out, goals matter quite a bit!

Last I checked keeping the puck out of your own net is equally important.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can Chevy not deal Perreault and a 2nd for future considerations? Then sweeten the offers to Laine and Connor?

No pressure yet so no point, but sure that’s an option latter on. I’m not even concerned at this point

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Well at a young age
  • Goals are really hard to score. See Laine 4th highest goals before age of 21. Behind 3 80s guys.
  • No hockey player is complete. Find one.

But as of now he looks to be generational scorer. For me IMO generational player is

McDavid
Crosby
Lemiuex
Gretzky
Then whoever is 70s Orr
Howe??

So on

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

DREGER21

Mar 26, 2018
Mikko Rantanen and Patrik Laine likely will not have new contracts any time soon, according to their agent.

"We're not close ... they're high profile guys," Mike Liut, who represents each of the restricted free agents said on TSN 650 on Wednesday. "... There's nothing happened that we didn't know was going to happen. Nothing has gone on that we didn't anticipate."

"There's term, there's AAV (average annual value), there's structure and clubs have to manage their cap, we have to represent our client," Liut said. "We have our convictions, they have theirs."

If I didn't have such a vested interest in this team and sport, I'd love Chevy and Sakic to demonstrate their own convictions but letting both guys sit the entire year. They can play for 500K in the Swiss league. But that's just my unpopular opinion :(

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I wrote a post in the closed thread that was misunderstood. I apologize for my lack of clarity. None of the players are "rats" fleeing a sinking ship. Which all smart rats are wise to do so, but I did picture Buff leaving as another reason for Laine not to sign. Laine and Buff were a great combo on the PP.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I wrote a post in the closed thread that was misunderstood. I apologize for my lack of clarity. None of the players are "rats" fleeing a sinking ship. Which all smart rats are wise to do so, but I did picture Buff leaving as another reason for Laine not to sign. Laine and Buff were a great combo on the PP.
Maybe wishful thinking, but I think Josh does everything and more then Buff on the powerplay.
Even more wishful thinking, Niku will be the number 8 that we remember for years to come.

Wrong thread. Consider it a one and done.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Lomac

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg
I think trading Laine is even more unlikely with this Buff news of possible retirement. Two of the Jets most marketed players gone doesn't sound like a fun message to send to fans this year.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Last I checked keeping the puck out of your own net is equally important.

Yes, it is. But while Laine is all-situations net positive with +117 goals over three seasons, you still hate him. (He made 118 goals himself, so being also +117 seems legit. +292 -192 on regular seasons, +29 -12 on playoffs)

Yes, he is net positive on 5-on-5 as well. As said, for his 2 first seasons he did lead that category as well, but not for his 3rd season.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Not equally, you can't win a game by just keeping the puck out of yours. You have to score at least 1 more than you let in. Ergo, goals are more important.

Yes, actually that's where Patty served us well in his second season, the Jets most successful season. We went through a long stretch somewhere around Jan/Feb/March of that year, where no one except Laine was really scoring. We won a bunch of low scoring games, just on Laine's goals alone.

Every player contributes in their own way, that's the definition of a team sport. Patty contributes the scoring role as good as anyone else in the league. That's a very hard skill to acquire, and we have it.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine is good sign him
Connor is good sign him

25% of Jets expected goals from this 2.
And thats on Laine down season.

Its the 19th now.
11 more days.
Somewhere in between these 2 should sign.

I keep predicting, i will be right one of this days.

I love your positive attitude!

Just keep predicting because I agree with you, they will be signed and everyone will move on!

Let's go!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
One thing I feel I know for sure that if buff laine And connor all play we stay with the same roster.

And if they all dont play theres even more reason to stay with the ssme roster.

Nothing changes either way

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I love your positive attitude!

Just keep predicting because I agree with you, they will be signed and everyone will move on!

Let's go!

Wish I had that optimism. The Jets and Laine seem pretty far apart. I'm thinking they will get Connor in the ice asapif Laine wont budge.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
One thing I feel I know for sure that if buff laine And connor all play we stay with the same roster.

And if they all dont play theres even more reason to stay with the ssme roster.

Nothing changes either way

If they stay we are right up against the cap if they leave we may end up being in the rental dealing market this year. If Kulikov shows well enough we might be able to scrounge up something for him at deadline. Maybe Perreault to if some kids show well enough but I'm not holding my breath that there will be a lot of interest there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad