Salary Cap: Connor & Laine Contract Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That's the $10M question -
"IF" he is able to regain his game, he writes his own ticket - he's the player we all hope he is.
However, if he doesn't, he's a very expensive mistake that haunts the org for years.
I don't know the answer - I do know that he's not a shoe in to regain his game.

I believe Laine will never see another season where he scores at will - those days are over. The league hasn't necessarily figured him out but they do know how to play him better. He will never get the space he used to get and he'll always be a target when he's on the ice - teams will put guys on him tight - he'll get a lot less room and a lot less time - this is an absolute given.

So, to get around all of that, he needs to be a much better 200 ft player - quicker, faster, more nimble and much more adapt at making decisions that will get him out from under the coverage. The gamble is, can he be that type of player? In the past, he's never had to do those things to a great extent - including his first 2 years with the Jets.
This is a significant challenge for Patty and there's two major factors at play IMO -

1 - He needs to "want" to be a better all around player and he needs to understand that propping him up with better line mates is not a long term solution - he needs to learn the missing pcs playing with players that may not be top line players but who can help him.
2 - Walk before you run - "learn" these parts playing against lesser competition and develop to the point where you are ready to roll as a 200 ft player, with other elite 200 ft players, against top tier competition.

I recognize his achievements and bow to his amazing ability to put the puck in the net - I don't take anything away from him and I get why he's such a popular player on this team - he can be absolutely amazing at times.
But I also get that he needs to be more than what he is - I see him getting frustrated, not because he isn't getting top line minutes, but because of the points I've covered above - he sees what teams are doing to him and he's struggling with a solution without the necessary skills.
Hockey is Hard - he knows that.
Ovechkin scores 50 a year from the exact same spot on the powerplay he's been standing in for 14 seasons, but teams know how to play Laine better now? I have my doubts...

Maurice said he wants to make Laine into a power forward, but I'm not sure it's wise to try to turn Laine into something he isn't. Play to his strengths. Put him on a line with guys that tilt the ice the right way and turn him loose. What's the obsession with changing his game? It appears to be frustrating him and making him worse.

I've always been a little puzzled by coaches who want to turn star forwards into two-way, 200 foot players. Nobody tries to change the Mark Stuarts of the world into Bobby Orr, so why this horniness to change Patrik Laines into Adam Lowrys? I suspect it's because the coaching ranks are filled with Charlie Huddys and Brent Sutters who favor a more defensive game.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Ovechkin scores 50 a year from the exact same spot on the powerplay he's been standing in for 14 seasons, but teams know how to play Laine better now? I have my doubts...

Maurice said he wants to make Laine into a power forward, but I'm not sure it's wise to try to turn Laine into something he isn't. Play to his strengths. Put him on a line with guys that tilt the ice the right way and turn him loose. What's the obsession with changing his game? It appears to be frustrating him and making him worse.

I've always been a little puzzled by coaches who want to turn star forwards into two-way, 200 foot players. Nobody tries to change the Mark Stuarts of the world into Bobby Orr, so why this horniness to change Patrik Laines into Adam Lowrys? I suspect it's because the coaching ranks are filled with Charlie Huddys and Brent Sutters who favor a more defensive game.

You can see in Maurice's latest interview with Murat, that Lowry is probably his favorite player. He hardly mentions Laine at all, and only briefly Ehlers. I'm not sure how his coaching approach is going to work for young fast, cerebral players. But I still have hope!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
You can see in Maurice's latest interview with Murat, that Lowry is probably his favorite player. He hardly mentions Laine at all, and only briefly Ehlers. I'm not sure how his coaching approach is going to work for young fast, cerebral players. But I still have hope!

I dont get the Lowry hype. Sure hes good defensively but he doesn't put up points he is dime a dozen around the league.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Laine's and Connor's contracts

Unfortunately I'm unable to wrap up this properly into quote since the other thread was closed, but I'll reply anyway.

Okay so even if consulting is what I partly do in my line of work, there's no time or place where I've proclaimed myself as an expert as far as Laine and his situation is concerned. Now with that said, I couldn't care less what someone claims I portrait <insert a player> is like. That's his, hers or their business, since I'm not here to please anyone or make e-friends. Anyway due to being a huge fan and having pretty much seen all his games for the past four years and having focused on him even much longer than that, I do have some kind of perspective of what kind of character he is like and what his ambitions are like. Quite honestly I saw a lot less joy in his game last year, disinterest even. Now perhaps I miss read him or perhaps I didn't. But he got plenty of reasons to be mad about. That was his third season and almost everyone expected he'd be given the proper opportunity off the gates, likely even himself.

I absolutely agree that Chevy and Chipman should actually do something. Yet they've been somewhere behind the scenes all this time doing absolutely nothing to improve his standing in the team. I'm almost appalled the way they've been ignoring him this whole time, probably caring more about getting as cheap contract as possible out of him than making him feel like this was the place where'd he want to play in the long run. That's the impression I've got anyway. How else would you explain the near 100 or something failed attempts to force a line to work together.

If he started to lose faith in the organization last year and it finally got to his head and someone wants to blame him, just go ahead. At least he took the blame to himself. In the off-season he mentioned he hadn't been given the keys to thrive. Yeah no s*it. I think he'd have been actually progressing despite the bad back had they finally rewarded him, but I guess we'll never know.

He must have heard the rumours about S & W not wanting to play with him as well (certainly hope they're not true) and I cannot but wonder what he'd think about that affecting his potential role in the long run. That would at least explain the way he's been treated for the past two years. Now I don't know if he wants out but I do know he's not interested being cast in the sidelines at least. I doubt it's about the money, it's just another object of recognition at this point. As far as the contract negotiations go it's all speculation and my guess is as good any. We'll see soon enough if he's staying and if so how long or if he's traded or even offer sheeted.

And I do agree, they're not stupid enough to trade him for peanuts. Still the truth is no one knows for sure what's about to happen so lets just wait and see. With everything said, my point still stands, they haven't done nearly enough to give him a good reason to stick around.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Sorry but those guys doesn't exist. You can't tilt anything with two forwards, while the third is playing "his game".

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There's a notable omission here...

Winnipeg Jets 2019 Roster

upload_2019-9-4_11-25-0.png

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Laine's and Connor's contracts

Unfortunately I'm unable to wrap up this properly into quote since the other thread was closed, but I'll reply anyway.

Okay so even if consulting is what I partly do in my line of work, there's no time or place where I've proclaimed myself as an expert as far as Laine and his situation is concerned. Now with that said, I couldn't care less what someone claims I portrait <insert a player> is like. That's his, hers or their business, since I'm not here to please anyone or make e-friends. Anyway due to being a huge fan and having pretty much seen all his games for the past four years and having focused on him even much longer than that, I do have some kind of perspective of what kind of character he is like and what his ambitions are like. Quite honestly I saw a lot less joy in his game last year, disinterest even. Now perhaps I miss read him or perhaps I didn't. But he got plenty of reasons to be mad about. That was his third season and almost everyone expected he'd be given the proper opportunity off the gates, likely even himself.

I absolutely agree that Chevy and Chipman should actually do something. Yet they've been somewhere behind the scenes all this time doing absolutely nothing to improve his standing in the team. I'm almost appalled the way they've been ignoring him this whole time, probably caring more about getting as cheap contract as possible out of him than making him feel like this was the place where'd he want to play in the long run. That's the impression I've got anyway. How else would you explain the near 100 or something failed attempts to force a line to work together.

If he started to lose faith in the organization last year and it finally got to his head and someone wants to blame him, just go ahead. At least he took the blame to himself. In the off-season he mentioned he hadn't been given the keys to thrive. Yeah no s*it. I think he'd have been actually progressing despite the bad back had they finally rewarded him, but I guess we'll never know.

He must have heard the rumours about S & W not wanting to play with him as well (certainly hope they're not true) and I cannot but wonder what he'd think about that affecting his potential role in the long run. That would at least explain the way he's been treated for the past two years. Now I don't know if he wants out but I do know he's not interested being cast in the sidelines at least. I doubt it's about the money, it's just another object of recognition at this point. As far as the contract negotiations go it's all speculation and my guess is as good any. We'll see soon enough if he's staying and if so how long or if he's traded or even offer sheeted.

And I do agree, they're not stupid enough to trade him for peanuts. Still the truth is no one knows for sure what's about to happen so lets just wait and see. With everything said, my point still stands, they haven't done nearly enough to give him a good reason to stick around.

I still think that Laine drop in enthusiasm is a combo of dealing with an injury, performing below his own lofty expectations and like all pro athletes wanting more. Him wanting a bigger role doesn't mean he has to leave to get it.

Laine and his agent like all players want a top contract.
They also want to see an improved position for Laine. Trouba's fake reasons for the hold out were usage based... Laine likely can position himself some assurances over say a short bridge deal.

If the team says we'll give you opportunity "X" and then don't live up to it at all then they are hurting their own future negotiations.

Laine gets a lot of things attributed to him online and so have Wheeler and Scheifele. These things are taken as gospel even if they are quite far off from reality. A long summer with little hockey news just drives up additional conspiracy theories.

I feel like all of these RFA's will be signed at some point and holding out into the season hurts the players and the fans the most. The difference in what they sign for seems to usually be so minimal that the hold out makes no sense.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Of source you play to his strengths - buy why ignore his weaknesses and assume other teams won't take advantage of them?
Not sure why you assume anyone is obsesses with changing his game - but some may want to make it better - shouldn't confuse the 2.
I doubt Laine will ever be a power forward - and adding D skill to his game does not make him a power forward -

It shouldn't puzzle you that coaches want the best of their players - you make it sound like turning a player into a 200 ft asset is a bad thing - how is that even possible?
Will he be a less effective shooter if he learns to be a little quicker, better off the boards, or less of a pushover when it comes to puck possession?
Your comp to Mark S is laughable - and no one is trying to turn PL into a Lowry - why would you assume helping a player round out his game would be comparable to what you describe? Do you honestly think that is what this org is trying to do?

Sounds like you are happy with Patty as is and you're most certainly entitled - but I find it strange that you would try to counter a proposal that only wants to make him better, easier to place in the line up, and more effective as an over all player.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Keller is a good comparable to KC, Connor might be a bit better so I'm thinking he'll sign for around 7.5m for 8 years. I was hoping for 7m but that seems unlikely now

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Of source you play to his strengths - buy why ignore his weaknesses and assume other teams won't take advantage of them?
Not sure why you assume anyone is obsesses with changing his game - but some may want to make it better - shouldn't confuse the 2.
I doubt Laine will ever be a power forward - and adding D skill to his game does not make him a power forward -

It shouldn't puzzle you that coaches want the best of their players - you make it sound like turning a player into a 200 ft asset is a bad thing - how is that even possible?
Will he be a less effective shooter if he learns to be a little quicker, better off the boards, or less of a pushover when it comes to puck possession?
Your comp to Mark S is laughable - and no one is trying to turn PL into a Lowry - why would you assume helping a player round out his game would be comparable to what you describe? Do you honestly think that is what this org is trying to do?

Sounds like you are happy with Patty as is and you're most certainly entitled - but I find it strange that you would try to counter a proposal that only wants to make him better, easier to place in the line up, and more effective as an over all player.

Nothing wrong with rounding a players game out but you shouldn't be trying to completely change his game all over the ice which to some extent Maurice is trying to do.

For instance he's trying to mold Laine into a crash and bang cycle player in the offensive zone. Not his strength and goes against the creative/transition game he's played all his life.

Teach him proper defensive positioning, how to get the puck out of the end effectively, how to rotate to cover and what his assignments are. All of that is fine but Maurice should not be telling Laine what to do in the offensive zone or she he has the puck on his stick.

As Trotz said to Ovie. "When we have the puck do what you want but she we don't have the puck do as I say" or something like that.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Nothing wrong with rounding a players game out but you shouldn't be trying to completely change his game all over the ice which to some extent Maurice is trying to do.

For instance he's trying to mold Laine into a crash and bang cycle player in the offensive zone. Not his strength and goes against the creative/transition game he's played all his life.

Teach him proper defensive positioning, how to get the puck out of the end effectively, how to rotate to cover and what his assignments are. All of that is fine but Maurice should not be telling Laine what to do in the offensive zone or she he has the puck on his stick.

As Trotz said to Ovie. "When we have the puck do what you want but she we don't have the puck do as I say" or something like that.

What evidence is there that Maurice wants to change Laine’s game in the offensive zone? He’s said the exact opposite, in that he doesn’t tell his skilled players what to do offensively.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What evidence is there that Maurice wants to change Laine’s game in the offensive zone? He’s said the exact opposite, in that he doesn’t tell his skilled players what to do offensively.

He said that a few years ago.

Look at how Laine plays now in the Ozone vs 2 years ago and tell you don't notice a significant difference. He's been encouraged to play a cycle game like the rest of our players. He also talks about Laine as being a power forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad