Confirmed with Link: Connor Dewar to the Leafs for Dmitry Ovchinnikov and 2026 4th

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Doesn’t mean the big 4 weren’t floating but if you want to pick and choose, go right ahead.
Maybe some reading comprehension would do you some good

This was in response directly to Reaves being good lately.

Good grief

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
You see, I actually understand the master plan. Hear me out.

The Leafs are guaranteed per series to:
- Lose 1-2 players to headshots that are not considered penalties and see no suspensions
- Lose 1-2 players to suspensions for committing acts half as blatant as what they encounter

So, you see, they will be burning through a lot of players. If they're smart, they should monitor the officials assigned per game and skate the B team in those games. As they poorly allocated most of the salary to a handful of people, that means they can form 2 B teams.

/s
Sadly, there is some real truth to the above quoted post. What;s worse is the NHL condones it !!!

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Dewar defeats Trouba!
1709956688195.jpeg

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If by Boston dressing Maroon it forces the Leafs to dress Reaves they've won that mini-matchup before they even drop the puck. Especially on the road.

What is Reaves purpose? Protect the big 4 from sucker punches, slewfoots and elbows? He'll have a tough time doing that from the bench. If you have the Matthews line out against the Maroon line I absolutely love that. If we put out Reaves so he can take a run at Pasta or Marchand, Bruins absolutely love that. It's multi-level thinking.

Regular season that's fine, playoffs dress useful players. Every second Reaves is on the ice Boston is more likely to score a goal
Reaves will dress if he earns a spot.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Basically Sam Lafferty, why are we constantly moving picks to replace the same type of players every single season? Zero direction or planning here.

To an extent i agree with you but its not apples to apples comparison.

Lafferty needed to be moved to be cap compliant at the beginning of the season. Lafferty is 29 years and a free agent in July. You traded him and got a 5th. You then took a 4th and a prospects to get a 24 year old player who is an RFA in Dewar. Although it cost slightly more, the Leafs got a more valuable asset with more control who was younger and the difference was a 5th for a 4th and prospects we arent sure will make an impact in the NHL. Seems inconsequential.

You also got ancillary value from opening up a roster spot at the beginning of the season. Guys like McMann, Holmberg, and Gregor got more playing time and you can see that they are NHL players who you can trust. Eventually someone's play is going to fall off or someone is going to get hurt, where one of those 3 guys will need to come back in the lineup. Value added.

When dealing with 30-40+ players in a season you cant plan every position down to a perfect science especially 4th liners. A lot happens in season especially when you have a salary cap hanging over your head, so you need to adapt and that is what Treliving did here. Saw an opportunity to get something for Lafferty, opened up playing time for others who ran with the opportunity an used similar draft capital you got for Lafferty to turn it into a younger player with control - maybe a better player.

Similar to Tampa trading Ross Colton to Colorado for a 2nd in the offseason because of the cap then using a 3rd and a good prospect to get Duclair less than a year later. Not something they wanted to do but had to and made the best of it.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Anyone who thinks Liljegren can still improve better think the same of this guy. Dewar is actually 2 months younger and has ~15 less NHL games played. He will be a top 6 player soon, right Lilly crowd?

#nojudgementuntil300

• Haha
Reactions: aingefan

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The more I read about Dewar, the more I like him and for some reason, he could be Tucker 2.0

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Anyone who thinks Liljegren can still improve better think the same of this guy. Dewar is actually 2 months younger and has ~15 less NHL games played. He will be a top 6 player soon, right Lilly crowd?

#nojudgementuntil300
This isn’t really a fair comparison. Dmen take longer to develop than forwards. Just like goalies take longer to develop than Dmen.

Overall I like this trade as I didn’t want the team chasing rentals this deadline and I don’t know if Liljegren will ever find the consistency to be a legit top 4 guy. But you can’t compare development by age at different positions.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
This isn’t really a fair comparison. Dmen take longer to develop than forwards. Just like goalies take longer to develop than Dmen.

Overall I like this trade as I didn’t want the team chasing rentals this deadline and I don’t know if Liljegren will ever find the consistency to be a legit top 4 guy. But you can’t compare development by age at different positions.
Naw this guy is gonna be on the top line any day now. Book it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Sadly, there is some real truth to the above quoted post. What;s worse is the NHL condones it !!!
The Leafs for years should have used analytics on refs and fans should boycott those games. Leafs will automatically lose 1 game per series to US teams. Why do you think they rioted in Vancouver? They were robbed and the NHL is a joke now. It's fraud and theft of the fans.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Feels like a steep price... IMO. TBD I guess.
A low tier prospect who likely will never see NHL time and a 4th rounder 3 drafts from now is steep? How is a GM supposed make his team better in your eyes if trades and prices like this are steep? The kid is under team control for a while

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Honestly. I have no idea why MIN would trade this guy.

Some MIN fans really liked him. A few were indifferent about the trade.

Maybe a 4th and Ovchinnikov is the right price.

I'm not saying we got some really special player here, but if TOR traded Noah Gregor you would get the same reaction.

He's a 1RFA too which means he'll continue to be a leaf after the playoffs.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
To an extent i agree with you but its not apples to apples comparison.

Lafferty needed to be moved to be cap compliant at the beginning of the season. Lafferty is 29 years and a free agent in July. You traded him and got a 5th. You then took a 4th and a prospects to get a 24 year old player who is an RFA in Dewar. Although it cost slightly more, the Leafs got a more valuable asset with more control who was younger and the difference was a 5th for a 4th and prospects we arent sure will make an impact in the NHL. Seems inconsequential.

You also got ancillary value from opening up a roster spot at the beginning of the season. Guys like McMann, Holmberg, and Gregor got more playing time and you can see that they are NHL players who you can trust. Eventually someone's play is going to fall off or someone is going to get hurt, where one of those 3 guys will need to come back in the lineup. Value added.

When dealing with 30-40+ players in a season you cant plan every position down to a perfect science especially 4th liners. A lot happens in season especially when you have a salary cap hanging over your head, so you need to adapt and that is what Treliving did here. Saw an opportunity to get something for Lafferty, opened up playing time for others who ran with the opportunity an used similar draft capital you got for Lafferty to turn it into a younger player with control - maybe a better player.

Similar to Tampa trading Ross Colton to Colorado for a 2nd in the offseason because of the cap then using a 3rd and a good prospect to get Duclair less than a year later. Not something they wanted to do but had to and made the best of it.
People always ignore the ancillary value of moves.
Thank you.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad