• Connor Bedard

Votes: 319 73.2%
  • Jack Hughes

Votes: 117 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
fully think Bedard is going to be berdarded good but before any games- I fully think you’re a crazy degenerate if you don’t pick Hughes here. He’s so good. Bedard is still a mystery box.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Honestly depends where the rest of the roster is. A complete shit show? Go with Bernard who might be McDavid esq. If you want to win in the next 1-3 years. Jack Hughes

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Devils fans just seething lmao
Just found out one of the most talented players in franchise history on the best contract in the league lost an HF boards poll

D5HdHRbW0AE_CXo.jpg

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
With all due respect, these mystery box comments are so clueless. If you’ve studied Bedard up to this point, you wouldn’t be making these statements. He’s getting the votes and winning a lot of polls, but I’m fairly skeptical that most have seen anything more than a clip or two of him. Maybe a few more saw some clips of the prospect game.

Can’t wait for this season to start. Won’t be surprised if there’s a bunch of comments screaming bust during the opening month or so, first 10 games, but I think by the halfway point and certainly by season’s end, people will see him for what he is: a bonafide superstar and an instant top 5 player within just one season.

Reactions: McRpro and wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don’t remember anyone saying that.
Because no one was seriously saying that but they are saying that about Bedard....well because he is or at least as close to generational as one can be without being it.

This poll should have been closed in 5 minutes but obviously there are 47 guys who would make crappy NHL GM's here.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Bedard hasn't even played a preseason game yet, Compared to Hughes who you can base his future on past success

If this thread started after thursdays game and Bedard did really great then the Mystery box comparison could be questioned. However it did not so when compared to a NHL player who's played MULTIPLE seasons he is definitely a mystery box.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bedard hasn't even played a preseason game yet, Compared to Hughes who you can base his future on past success

If this thread started after thursdays game and Bedard did really great then the Mystery box comparison could be questioned. However it did not so when compared to a NHL player who's played MULTIPLE seasons he is definitely a mystery box.
Maybe you don't understand the question here is what the OP asked

Who are you taking to build your team around today? Factoring in all current circumstances.

Connor Bedard

Contract Status: (3) year ELC
What we know: A potential superstar.

Jack Hughes
Contract Status: Team friendly contract at $8 mill per, w/ 7 years left.
What we know: Already a star. Put up 43 goals & 99pts last season.

Probably 31 GMs are taking Bedard, heck maybe even the NJ one too.

This is like asking before McDavid's rookie year do you take McMysterybox or a 23 year old Tyler Seguin who just finished 7th in NHL scoring.

Reactions: McRpro

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No offense to Hughes, I know Bedard isn't proven yet, but you always go upside versus "floor", there's 1 Stanley Cup champion and 31 losers. Hughes is a good player no doubt but he is not generational. He was tied for 12th in points last season, 10th in PPG, he can improve, maybe even win a Rocket and a Ross at some point. Bedard though.. his upside is through the roof.

Reactions: authentic

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
fully think Bedard is going to be berdarded good but before any games- I fully think you’re a crazy degenerate if you don’t pick Hughes here. He’s so good. Bedard is still a mystery box.
mystery box??

I promise you no one intelligent is making an opinion that he is or isn’t a mystery box after a preseason game.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Because no one was seriously saying that but they are saying that about Bedard....well because he is or at least as close to generational as one can be without being it.

This poll should have been closed in 5 minutes but obviously there are 47 guys who would make crappy NHL GM's here.
the poll question isn't who will end up the better player. there are a lot of hughes voters, who choose him for the team friendly contract. considering cap hits is actually a good thing to do, if you are nhl gm.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
No offense to Hughes, I know Bedard isn't proven yet, but you always go upside versus "floor", there's 1 Stanley Cup champion and 31 losers. Hughes is a good player no doubt but he is not generational. He was tied for 12th in points last season, 10th in PPG, he can improve, maybe even win a Rocket and a Ross at some point. Bedard though.. his upside is through the roof.
The question is When will he hit his potential? Will he overtake Hughes this year? next? To me it seems like a lot of people think He'll instantly out preform Hughes.

As a Chicago fan where do you think the Hawks will be in the Draft lottery next year? With Bedard it sounds like they will be picking in the 9-10 range and if they had a good goalie they would be in the playoff hunt.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
the poll question isn't who will end up the better player. there are a lot of hughes voters, who choose him for the team friendly contract. considering cap hits is actually a good thing to do, if you are nhl gm.
The answer is still going to be Bedard because if he signs for more than 8 million in his next contract that will probably mean that he is the better player and you had 3 years on the ELC already.

The question is When will he hit his potential? Will he overtake Hughes this year? next? To me it seems like a lot of people think He'll instantly out preform Hughes.

He will outperform Hughes at every age IMO.
As a Chicago fan where do you think the Hawks will be in the Draft lottery next year? With Bedard it sounds like they will be picking in the 9-10 range and if they had a good goalie they would be in the playoff hunt.
What are you even talking about here?

Crosby and Ovi in their rookie years were awesome yet both of their teams were still last in their divisions.

• Haha

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Hopefully picking Top 5

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Want a close parallel?

Going into the 2005-2006 regular season, who do you take....rookie prospect Alex Ovechkin, or 22yr old estbalished Kovalchuk, former #1 overall?

I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to go with the safer choice of the established player, Hughes. He looks very promising and on-pace for a great career. And there's always a risk someone like Bedard could self-implode and get nowhere near expectations. But he's still very close to a Crosby/McDavid tier prospect - I'd say there's a ~90% chance at least he surpasses Hughes career-wise, and a ~50% chance minimum that he does so by a very big gap.
Want another close parallel?

Going into the 2012-13 season do you take ....rookie prospect Nail Yakupov, or 22 year old established Tavares, former #1 overall?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Want another close parallel?

Going into the 2012-13 season do you take ....rookie prospect Nail Yakupov, or 22 year old established Tavares, former #1 overall?
Hence why the post you quoted referenced the "safer" choice as an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad