• Connor Bedard

Votes: 319 73.2%
  • Jack Hughes

Votes: 117 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Nash wasn't already pretty much a 100 point player at that time so I think anyone would take that chance

I mean really realistically how many more points are people expecting Bedard to put up over Jack Hughes?
he had a rocket though, and nobody was a 100 pt player considering the AR was 94 pts and that was the only player over 90 points, it was a much different NHL.

People expected Nash to be a multi time Rocket winner, a guy who could get close to 50 every year, it didn't happen but in 2004 that was the belief.

I personally think the goal scoring will be the difference between the 2, Hughes is an elite goal scorer in his own right but Bedard could be the best of his generation. Its lofty expectations to put on anyone, but he is the best at that age at scoring goals I have ever seen (I did't get to see much of Ovi at that age)

Reactions: surixon and Voight

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You're right. Seguin finished 4th in scoring as a 21 year old and 7th in scoring as a 22 year old. Actually better than Hughes has done at the same age.

I think by year 2 Bedard puts up 110.
so then your not really expecting Bedard to really exceed Hughes by much then
I think Id rather Hughes still.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
so then your not really expecting Bedard to really exceed Hughes by much then
I think Id rather Hughes still.
Hughes put up 99 in year 4. Bedard 110 in year 2. Seems like a pretty large difference.

Doesn't mean my prediction is going to be correct but I am still having a hard time having this discussion with you because I feel like you aren't following.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Well, one has a cheap ELC, so if I go with Bedard, who are my other options? Am I in rebuild mode while I try and find a good team to build around him for a few years?

I think the poll should scrap the contract part.

Right now I take Hughes. He's deadly on the ice every time he has the puck. His skating is unreal. He is already a top player at at carrying through the neutral zone. I don't care if Bedard becomes better. Give me the already star player because I know what I'm getting. And I'm tired of watching him torch my team. :)

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
he had a rocket though, and nobody was a 100 pt player considering the AR was 94 pts and that was the only player over 90 points, it was a much different NHL.

People expected Nash to be a multi time Rocket winner, a guy who could get close to 50 every year, it didn't happen but in 2004 that was the belief.

I personally think the goal scoring will be the difference between the 2, Hughes is an elite goal scorer in his own right but Bedard could be the best of his generation. Its lofty expectations to put on anyone, but he is the best at that age at scoring goals I have ever seen (I did't get to see much of Ovi at that age)
I still think we can at this point put Hughes above both Nash and Seguin of those seasons trading or taking Crosby/Bedard over Nash and Seguin at that point would make alot more sense than Jack Hughes right now for Bedard

Hughes put up 99 in year 4. Bedard 110 in year 2. Seems like a pretty large difference.
except Hughes is already a 100 point player. in year 4 then how many more points are you expecting Bedard to exceed Jack Hughes?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I still think we can at this point put Hughes above both Nash and Seguin of those seasons trading or taking Crosby/Bedard over Nash and Seguin at that point would make alot more sense than Jack Hughes right now for Bedard
I am still just not comprehending how you are "easily" putting Hughes over Seguin in the discussion of their age 21 and age 22 season. Seguin, relative to the rest of the league, was putting up better numbers.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I am still just not comprehending how you are "easily" putting Hughes over Seguin in the discussion of their age 21 and age 22 season. Seguin, relative to the rest of the league, was putting up better numbers.
well I dont see how your not putting Hughes above Seguin. even if you adjust the scoring I cant see Seguin out scoring Hughes

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
would have to assume if he puts up 110 points in year 2 Chicago's top 6 will look much different then it looks right now.
You'd assume so but it will only be able to improve so much in a year, obviously wont be near NJ's level so I think the point would still stand should he actually manage something crazy like 110 points in a couple seasons

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
I always figured he was a step below McDavid as a prospect but I guess people are putting him up there already
I mean in nearly every comp prior to the NHL hes been better than Mcdavid.

His draft year Mcdavid had 2.55ppg Bedard had 2.50ppg, but Mcdavid had without a shadow of a doubt far better linemates to get those points with.

WJC - Not even close, Bedard put up the greatest wjc performance ever (Bedard unlike Forsberg did not get 10 points in a 20-1 thumping of Japan and was 2 years younger)

So it would honestly be unfair to not slot Bedard with the likes of Crosby and Mcdavid when hes had similar levels of domination leading up to be drafted.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
basically is a 100 point player. had 99 points in 78 games. it's not crazy to say he is

in year 4 of Bedard being in the NHL. how many more points are you expecting him to outscore Hughes by?'

also in 3 years Hughes contract will likely be better bang for your buck at 8m over whatever Bedard will get which I assume if he's as good as people are expecting could be 5m+ more

You'd assume so but it will only be able to improve so much in a year, obviously wont be near NJ's level so I think the point would still stand should he actually manage something crazy like 110 points in a couple seasons
but still even if Bedard does. how much more are we expecting here? Hughes is already a 99 point player and is only 22 years old. he should continue to get better as well. seems like alot of risk to let go of that for a player who could be better. but really how much better are we talking where it's worth that kind of risk?

what if Bedard never exceeds Hughes? wouldn't at this point all the risk be on NJ?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
basically is a 100 point player. had 99 points in 78 games. it's not crazy to say he is

in year 4 of Bedard being in the NHL. how many more points are you expecting him to outscore Hughes by?'

also in 3 years Hughes contract will likely be better bang for your buck at 8m over whatever Bedard will get which I assume if he's as good as people are expecting could be 5m+ more

but still even if Bedard does. how much more are we expecting here? Hughes is already a 99 point player and is only 22 years old. he should continue to get better as well. seems like alot of risk to let go of that for a player who could be better. but really how much better are we talking where it's worth that kind of risk?

what if Bedard never exceeds Hughes? wouldn't at this point all the risk be on NJ?
I never got it to the debate on what I thought or expected I was going off a talking point where a poster actually put down a number. Bedard may never exceed Hughes, I think he will but thats not really the point of the discussion. If both players hit 110 points next year dont you think Bedard's would be a bit more impressive?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean in nearly every comp prior to the NHL hes been better than Mcdavid.

His draft year Mcdavid had 2.55ppg Bedard had 2.50ppg, but Mcdavid had without a shadow of a doubt far better linemates to get those points with.

WJC - Not even close, Bedard put up the greatest wjc performance ever (Bedard unlike Forsberg did not get 10 points in a 20-1 thumping of Japan and was 2 years younger)

So it would honestly be unfair to not slot Bedard with the likes of Crosby and Mcdavid when hes had similar levels of domination leading up to be drafted.
Instead he got 13 points in a combined 22-2 against Germany/Austria.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

This is why most people are choosing Bedard. The likelihood he doesn't exceed Hughes is unlikely so you're basically just asking the poll question.

There is always an over-rating of #1 overall draft picks and while Bedard has certainly seen his share of over-rating, he is absolutely the best #1 overall pick we've seen since McDavid and nit surpassing Hughes (as good as he is) would be a poor outcome for a player that's been heavily scouted since he was 13 years old.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I never got it to the debate on what I thought or expected I was going off a talking point where a poster actually put down a number. Bedard may never exceed Hughes, I think he will but thats not really the point of the discussion. If both players hit 110 points next year dont you think Bedard's would be a bit more impressive?
Not even really worth the argument anymore. Tough reading comprehension. I said 110 in year two, just to give a number for the sake of the argument, and he isn't even comprehending that would be a much more impressive than 99 in year 4.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
if he's playing with the current Chicago lineup then yes it would be and Id trade Hughes for him as well but I just cant see that happening unless some of Chicago's other talent is ready to do damage as well. I mean he's playing with 31 year old Hall(whos best days are behind him) and Tyler Johnson who is also in the same boat.

I just have a hard time seeing this really being worth it if Im a Hughes owner/NJ. Hughes already is that star and signed to an extremely awesome team friendly deal

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As a GM, I think you have to go with Hughes. Awesome contract to complement the elite player he became. Hughes lived up to expectations and perhaps more. Passing on bedard might hurt, but a GM would get more flack for keeping a 100 pts scorer over a 120 pts scorer than if Bedard tops as an 80 pts player.

As a fan who has no stakes in the game, I'd choose Bedard.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
For the Canes 3 years of Bedard on an ELC is worth the risk that he doesn’t turn into the superstar most expect him to. If not for the ELC and the Canes being in a contention window already it’s easily Hughes.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This is why most people are choosing Bedard. The likelihood he doesn't exceed Hughes is unlikely so you're basically just asking the poll question.

There is always an over-rating of #1 overall draft picks and while Bedard has certainly seen his share of over-rating, he is absolutely the best #1 overall pick we've seen since McDavid and nit surpassing Hughes (as good as he is) would be a poor outcome for a player that's been heavily scouted since he was 13 years old.
I mean both players should be 100+ point players except one is signed to a very nice contract
I just get the feeling if Bedard is that good he will likely get 13-15m in 3 years with the cap rising. and Hughes will still be at 8m

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Bedard will be better player - a superstar generational talent. He will be so much better to start his career than Hughes, and won’t get the sweetheart cap hit - a victim of his own success in this poll.

With that said I take Hughes at 8 mil and try to win the cup. Basically replace Josh Norris w him on the Ottawa Senators. It really depends on the team though. If you’re Toronto, you take Bedard on his entry level and try to win now with all their star power.

If I went through all 32 teams there is probably only a handful that I would take Hughes, including my team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad