Votes: 319 73.2%
  • Jack Hughes

Votes: 117 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Who are you taking to build your team around today? Factoring in all current circumstances.

Connor Bedard
Contract Status: (3) year ELC
What we know: A potential superstar.

Jack Hughes
Contract Status: Team friendly contract at $8 mill per, w/ 7 years left.
What we know: Already a star. Put up 43 goals & 99pts last season.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
mystery-box-family-guy.gif

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I would take Hughes. Why would you ever roll the dice when you have such a high end player? How much better than 100 points do you really think Bedard is capable of?

You can have a boat, or you can have the mystery box. It could even be a boat....

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I will go with Bedard. I want to start building my franchise with an 18 year old potential superstar. I remember reading a silly bust thread on here about Hughes based on his stats from his rookie season. I had zero doubt he was going to be an elite offensive player at that time. Hughes looks to have that potential also.

Reactions: Voight

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Want a close parallel?

Going into the 2005-2006 regular season, who do you take....rookie prospect Alex Ovechkin, or 22yr old estbalished Kovalchuk, former #1 overall?

I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to go with the safer choice of the established player, Hughes. He looks very promising and on-pace for a great career. And there's always a risk someone like Bedard could self-implode and get nowhere near expectations. But he's still very close to a Crosby/McDavid tier prospect - I'd say there's a ~90% chance at least he surpasses Hughes career-wise, and a ~50% chance minimum that he does so by a very big gap.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Lol the hypocrisy. I’m old enough to remember when 70 percent of people thought Lafreniere was the better prospect than Hughes.

I’ve always been a Hughes defender but this is clearly Bedard. Hughes always projected as 100 point franchise centre. Bedard projects as a near generational player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hughes but thats cause the Habs wojld be absolute contender if Jack was a hab, today. Beds may take a day or two.

Really though thats a very tough one. Probs one of two player that gives me pause.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ill take Hughes. hes already basically is a 100 point player and signed to an incredible contract. how much better are we expecting Bedard to be here? 150 point player? whos to say Bedard is even that dominant in the NHL this season? imo he's got potential to be better than Hughes but how much better are we talking here to give up on a for sure 100 point player already

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Bedard.
I don’t get the boat vs mystery box references. Bedard has been touted as the next great one for a while now. You take those players every single time.
Family guy reference. They were offered a boat for a time share presentation thing. At the end they were also offered a mystery box. Peter wanted the boat and said the mystery box could be anything, it could even be a boat, and he took the box (it was comedy club tickets). Hughes=boat Bedard=box.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
If I were starting from absolute scratch (like, say, the Blackhawks or the Sharks) I'd probably lean Bedard.

For essentially anyone else, I think I'd take Hughes. Bedard projects as one of the best players in the league, but Hughes is already an elite player, signed to a bargain contract for 7 more seasons. Bedard might be better, or he might not. The list of guys who have busted or even just greatly disappointed is a lot longer than the list of generational talents. Now, do I think Bedard will bust? No, not really, I think guys as good as him tend to be great NHL players way more often than not. But the risk is real, and a lot realer than Jack suddenly becoming a net negative. And for a team trying to win today or in the next couple years, I think that certainty more than outweighs the potential difference in value between the two guys in most circumstances.

Mostly, I think fans generally underrate the risk inherent in any players development, but especially prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Id take Hughes, that's not a slight on bedard, it's likely bedard will put up better stats but Bedard is likely going to
a) be a slightly worse player for the next three years while he acclimates to the NHL
b) cost significantly more then Hughes for years 4-7

More chance Hughes contract + points allow him to win then the blackhawks over the next 7

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I would take Hughes. Why would you ever roll the dice when you have such a high end player? How much better than 100 points do you really think Bedard is capable of?

You can have a boat, or you can have the mystery box. It could even be a boat....
meh, don't agree with the mystery box analogy. If Hughes is a boat, he's a very fine speed boat no doubt about it. And anyone would be happy with that level of boat. But, Bedard is projected to possibly be the type of Super Yacht usually reserved for Russian oligarchs and middle east oil barons.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
that analogy is super weird because how speedy and small Bedard is...
but we'll sea, whatever float your boat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad