Injury Report: [Confirmed] Gaudreau out indefinitely

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The Flames need a true pest. Guys like Brouwer/Tkachuk/Ferland can bring a physical element, but it's not enough. Calgary needs a guy like Torres for that 4th line. Someone who will go out of their way to make a team pay for that kind of ****.

However, I'm a glass half full type of guy. Gaudreau is out, and this locker room knows that they'll need to step up. We're about to see who it's going to be. Does Monahan wake up, or are we gonna see someone in the bottom 6 step up?

Bennett - Monahan - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Shinkaruk - Stajan - Ferland
Bouma - Hamilton - Hathaway

I'd prefer....

Bennett-Monahan-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Shinkaruk-Jankowski-Ferland
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd prefer....

Bennett-Monahan-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Shinkaruk-Jankowski-Ferland
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway

Too early to recall Jankowski in my opinion. Let him continue to log top minutes in Stockton. If the Flames sell at the deadline, recall him then.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

The league does nothing to protect it's stars and the players that people actually pay to see and then wonders by ratings are decreasing.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Pathetic. If the refs aren't going to protect our players, than team mates need to. I don't care about taking penalties, we're losing anyways, don't let teams beat the **** out of our star player nightly.

The radio guys this morning were claiming a lot of slashes (I forget the exact number)

I didn't get to see the whole game (just the first and the last 5 minutes) was it that bad?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The radio guys this morning were claiming a lot of slashes (I forget the exact number)

I didn't get to see the whole game (just the first and the last 5 minutes) was it that bad?

Darren Haynes wrote an article outlining 21 slashes. A bunch of the ones he includes are eye-roll-worthy, though. Realistically, there were probably a half-dozen healthy hacks during the game. It's still far more than should be normal for a player to endure.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
200.gif

dammit!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This kind of "leadership" does go a long way in explaining the current state of affairs. Assuming more context doesn't redeem Giordano, and the Flames continue to have poor tactics for Patrick, I'm much more in favour of a Giordano trade. And exposing Brouwer to the expansion draft.

Edit:

If six weeks is the worst case scenario, that's not too bad. But unless Monahan and Bennett step up offensively, any chance at the playoffs will long be over by then.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Soft team full of soft players. I don't understand how they don't see Gaudreau as their meal ticket, him having a massive year is a must if they want to be in the playoffs. And being in the playoffs is likely the only way some of these guys get another contract.

They should be angry.. Where's the hate? Nothing you can do about it Gio?! SERIOUSLY!?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I sure hope those quotes are paraphrased. Nothing about how everyone else needs to step up and take charge offensively? Nothing about how we can't let other teams take advantage of our guys anymore? Nothing about the commitment to making this sad sack of players look more like a team?

Shameful.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Time for a captaincy change.

Who would we give it to? Backlund? That's our leadership right there saying basically 'shut happens'

But if our star is injured from stuff that's literally supposed to be penalties 100 percent of the time you expect then to call out the other team, or to give it back to them. I'd even LOVE for them to call the refs out. Something players don't do enough of. Or coaches.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This makes me sick. You can see it that our team plays like a bunch of ballerinas. Ferland has had fight 1 this year, he's NOT running over anyone. Tkachuk is our biggest pest and he's 18 bloody years old! :shakehead

Every single player in that dressing room should feel ashamed and responsible for this, especially the coaches. Sutter never would have allowed this happen, remember the lineup he sent out at the end of a game with Regehr and our tough guys (pretty sure it was Westgarth and Grats) to take the FO.

Seriously, hockey is a physical game and if we are only concerned with playing a possession style of hockey and are not willing to stand up for our teammates, I won't be watching much Flames this year. There is absolutely no reason that Monahan shouldn't go up to Parise and cross check him in his face and knock some teeth. Burke better damn well be ripping Treliving (it sounds like he has) and our entire coaching staff and players over the matter. I don't know what sport the Flames are playing but it isn't hockey.

What a joke.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
There must be more to these comments than posted. If not then something is not right in the room. I know this is not a Burke team per say but times like this I wish it was.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We keep hearing how this team wants to play black and blue Burke style hockey; but our best player gets ripped and no one does anything; except say 'it happens; we do it to their players'.

Give me a break.

I'd rather lose and have a season like 2012, where no one wanted to **** with people from our team than be middle of the pack/low end and be soft as butter.

I know we've moved away from having goons in the lineup, but there has to be some guys in there that keep others accountable. It can't be a plug like Engelland fighting Stewart, then letting slashes to Johnny go. Ferland, Hathaway, Tkachuk, Brouwer and Giordano have to be willing to step up. You slash our best player and break his finger? Well, hope Suter like skating on one ankle.

Even later in the game when Hathaway rolled over Duby, and Dumba drops the gloves with the sucker punch; how is someone not pinning him and challenging him once he hits the ice again. This team is so soft it hurts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad