"Complain About Maclean" Superthread (Mod Note: STOP making more Maclean threads)

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
No. He doesn't. The players have to go. And that's what is going to happen because too many coaches have fallen victim to the complacency in that locker room. If the coach loses this room, then the core is rotten and needs to be replaced.

Yes, I smell a rat in the room....

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
No. He doesn't. The players have to go. And that's what is going to happen because too many coaches have fallen victim to the complacency in that locker room. If the coach loses this room, then the core is rotten and needs to be replaced.

Agreed. How many coaches are going to "lose the room" and be run out of town? How many other teams have gone through as many coaches in such a short period as we have?

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Maybe we should get Mac & company a subscription to Dobber so they can see what works and just start doing it every game.

Actually, it's free. haha

check it out

John Holmes*

Fire BM, and the trickle down effect will take care of the rest.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Maclean is responsible for the lineup, the line combos, who gets what icetime, who starts in goal, and what type of system the team plays.

Is anyone seriously going to say that they have no issues with the way MacLean has handled the above?

It's his job to prepare the team, and it's his job to get the most he can out of what he has, which he has been abysmal at doing this season.

Of course the players play the game, but the coach isn't doing a good job in the areas he has control of.

If he has lost the room, he has to go.

Does Maclean deserve criticism? For sure. Should he be fired? I'm not so sure. Like others, I have questioned his line combos, starting goaltenders and in game decisions, but would another coach turn this around? Maybe. Maybe not. Overall Maclean has done an excellent job as the head coach of this team in my opinion. This year he has me scratching my head more than the past 2 years, but I'm not sure firing him is the best idea at this point. Bringing in another coach doesn't guarantee we will turn this thing around.

Coaching, goaltending, defence, lack of scoring, lack of work ethic, poor power play. All of these things are problems. I don't think you can point to one thing as being the problem right now. It's a combination of all of these things, and that's why we are where we are right now.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This guy is the biggest problem on the team. He has to go.
Last year was a fluke and now he is throwing players under the boss.

There were times when Alfie wasn't killing it either, times where he was always getting hurt and was invincible in the playoffs. First round exit after first round on stupidly stacked teams but NO coach ever threw him under the bus.

This guy is pathetic.

PUTTING CONDRA on Jason's wing?
Phillips on the PP
Never putting a PP that consisted of Ryan and spezza
Poor time outs.

This guy is a moron. He got lucky last year with miraculous goaltending but enough is enough.

Jason Spezza has done more for this organization than Maclean ever has and ever will and he will be here long after Maclean.

There is a reason this is hist firt coaching gig. The guy is 2 steps behind and he gets out coached on a nightly basis.

FIRE MAC!!

The two first goals that were scored last night were defensive lapses by Corvo and Karlsson. Ottawa has a habit of making defensive errors and falling behind early in the game.

Ottawa's d-corp have been shaky all year long. Even the best coach in the league needs his players to execute.

RedSeven*

Lol

Do people not remember all the heat that Alfie had in the past? Worse than this even. Much worse. Spezza is not going anywhere and he shouldn't.

MAC.

I'd rather have a Big Mac, yes a actual Mcdonalds patty, or Mark Mcguire himself running this team.

The GUY is a freaken MORON. No two words around it. I get it, people were fooled. He is a straight shooter, was part of a good organization. Can motivate. HE is EXCELLENT at talking.

Talkers are amazing. You can sell, its an incredible thing you can do when you have the ability to talk. HOWEVER, that can quickly go away if people realize you are all talk. I am being honest and I am telling you from actual experience.

With my first business, my ability to talk got me so much praise and media but my inability to deliver and my work eithic was not where it needed to be. Talk can only take you so far. It took me some failure to get to where I am today, but I was very young and I was accountable for my success not other peoples.

Mac fooled the media, the organization and the players into thinking he could be the guy to deliver and make things happen for this team.

Unfortunately, he has proven to be a complete and utter moron and I am extremely disappointed in him.

The media was brainwashed into loving the STACHE and into loving the Doppleganger thing. The media also fell in love with a cinderella team last year that had more to do with unrealistic goaltending than anything Mac did.

They also fell in love with the Karlsson quote "if he plays for our team or their team" and the "letting the best players play."

Which are both complete crap.

Its funny how so many fans are so brainwashed so easily when game in and game out this guy is getting badly outcoached and is making the most asinine moves EVER.

HE NEEDS TO GO.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Lol

Do people not remember all the heat that Alfie had in the past? Worse than this even. Much worse. Spezza is not going anywhere and he shouldn't.

MAC.

I'd rather have a Big Mac, yes a actual Mcdonalds patty, or Mark Mcguire himself running this team.

The GUY is a freaken MORON. No two words around it. I get it, people were fooled. He is a straight shooter, was part of a good organization. Can motivate. HE is EXCELLENT at talking.

Talkers are amazing. You can sell, its an incredible thing you can do when you have the ability to talk. HOWEVER, that can quickly go away if people realize you are all talk. I am being honest and I am telling you from actual experience.

With my first business, my ability to talk got me so much praise and media but my inability to deliver and my work eithic was not where it needed to be. Talk can only take you so far. It took me some failure to get to where I am today, but I was very young and I was accountable for my success not other peoples.

Mac fooled the media, the organization and the players into thinking he could be the guy to deliver and make things happen for this team.

Unfortunately, he has proven to be a complete and utter moron and I am extremely disappointed in him.

The media was brainwashed into loving the STACHE and into loving the Doppleganger thing. The media also fell in love with a cinderella team last year that had more to do with unrealistic goaltending than anything Mac did.

They also fell in love with the Karlsson quote "if he plays for our team or their team" and the "letting the best players play."

Which are both complete crap.

Its funny how so many fans are so brainwashed so easily when game in and game out this guy is getting badly outcoached and is making the most asinine moves EVER.

HE NEEDS TO GO.

So can I just assume you're all talk and know nothing then?

RedSeven*

lol you can assume anything you want! :) Like I said, I am accountable for myself.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Lol

D

HE NEEDS TO GO.

This is the most surprising information in your entire rant.

Maclean was coach of the year last year and first runner up the year before. He has coached Detroit under Babcock and is an experienced coach and has been excellent here.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is the most surprising information in your entire rant.

Maclean was coach of the year last year and first runner up the year before. He has coached Detroit under Babcock and is an experienced coach and has been excellent here.

Not excellent this year. He's been horrible this year

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
All you need is Turris, Karlsson and Ryan.

Rest are all poo poo.

Put a 10lb sack of potatoes in net and two others 5ft in front of that one to act as defence. Play those three guys 60 minutes a night, break every record in the book and win the stanley cup.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
MOD WARNING:

We are NOT going to have a new frigging Maclean thread every single frigging day. Seriously, jesus frigging christ.

This is your thread if you want to complain about the coach. Any further threads about "complaining about Maclean" will be outright deleted, because I'll be damned if we're going to have THREE DIFFERENT THREADS TALKING ABOUT IT.

/modrant.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well stated :) But if the players are the problem and are not listening, what do you do. SEND THEM TO THE PRESS BOX, and I don't mean Weir, Kass, Conacher, and Gryba that accomplishes nothing. Rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic is all that is happening. :)

IMO it is all on the players, looking elsewhere may offer an opportunity to release some of the frustration by engaging in an internet debate, but that doesn't change the reality.

Turnovers, bad decision making, soft goals, defensive breakdowns and lack of compete are what has/is plaguing this team.

IMO too many players aren't mentally focused, and all MacLean can do is talk, change the line-up or make line changes in hope something sparks them.

While I support playing the kids, if I had to make the decision to play Spezza or Pageau, Conacher or Michalek, then Pageau and Conacher are sitting.

It may not be fair but I would err on the side of history as opposed to hoping for a miracle.

The most positive thing I have seen since the season began is Murray is getting increasingly involved.

The future of some of these players in Ottawa may be rapidly approaching the end if things don't change soon.

IMO up to the 30 game mark the GM and coaches are mostly concerned about this season and getting into the playoffs.

However once it is clear the playoffs are just wishful thinking, then the focus will turn to the future.

Veterans will be moved and the youth will be given every opportunity to gain experience and prove they have a future in the NHL.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
McLean won't get fired but my real issue is accountability. Would LOVE to see him sit a veteran to send a lesson. If the veterans aren't listening he needs to flex his muscles. It's nice to say it's the players fault but what is Mac going to do about it ? He is still the coach and HE needs to fix it. :)

Appreciate your points and they are definitely valid IMO.

I do think sitting a veteran is an appropriate response if that player is a consistent offender, but in every loss it seems like a different player(s).

Now I do realize some players aren't living up to past performance or expectation, but that doesn't mean they should go to the press box unless the coach has a viable alternative.

For example I have said Spezza isn't playing well, what I mean by this is he isn't playing up to his potential or the expectations the team has for him.

Now would I send him to the press box and call up Grant, then expect Zibby, Pageau or Grant to replace him? Absolutely NOT.

The fact is even an underperforming veteran may be a better option than an inexperienced kid.

It is frustrating to be a fan of this team, but if this is as bad as it gets during this rebuild then we can consider ourselves very fortunate.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
IMO it is all on the players, looking elsewhere may offer an opportunity to release some of the frustration by engaging in an internet debate, but that doesn't change the reality.

Turnovers, bad decision making, soft goals, defensive breakdowns and lack of compete are what has/is plaguing this team.

IMO too many players aren't mentally focused, and all MacLean can do is talk, change the line-up or make line changes in hope something sparks them.

While I support playing the kids, if I had to make the decision to play Spezza or Pageau, Conacher or Michalek, then Pageau and Conacher are sitting.

It may not be fair but I would err on the side of history as opposed to hoping for a miracle.

The most positive thing I have seen since the season began is Murray is getting increasingly involved.

The future of some of these players in Ottawa may be rapidly approaching the end if things don't change soon.

IMO up to the 30 game mark the GM and coaches are mostly concerned about this season and getting into the playoffs.

However once it is clear the playoffs are just wishful thinking, then the focus will turn to the future.

Veterans will be moved and the youth will be given every opportunity to gain experience and prove they have a future in the NHL.
I'd agree that players must share the blame, however some players are worse than others and yet they get to play more than others, or in roles that are unsuitable for them, and that's on the coach. There is a discrepancy between how good the team looks on paper and what they have achieved so far.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Yeah, at some point players also need to have some responsibility. Just because the players are not playing up to their potential doesn't mean that its the coaches fault. Maybe some are playing with injury. Maybe some are struggling to get back to the way they were last season. To just blame the coach for all the issues is simply silly. NHL players are meant to be professional, and should also take that blame and work harder than they have been.

Yeah, MacLeans decisions have seemed odd at times, but at the same time these players should work harder too.

Again, firing the coach is just silly. This team is only playing slightly worse than last year and the previous year... its not THAT bad!! We've just been spoiled by exceeded expectations.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Maclean has seemed to have lost his composure on the bench in the last couple games. Unfortunently calling out the refs does nothing but get you fined in this league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad