"Complain About Maclean" Superthread (Mod Note: STOP making more Maclean threads)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'd rather not fire Maclean because the players are under performing.

Dave Cameron on the other hand...

RedSeven*

The Coach is under performing.

Its not just loses. There are a ton of specific things that Mac is doing to hurt the team.

Is he the only problem? NO. But its one that needs to be fixed.

He has cost us 10 points this year atleast with poor decisions and coaching. We would be sitting just fine if it wasn't for mac and while still struggling we would have a lot less of pressure and maybe our players would be able to fix their issues a little better.

The PP's that he rolls our for example: sure our PP is average but I HAVE NEVER seen a Senators PP in 15 years that creates more negative momentum for the team.

It's brutal. Mac must go!

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The Coach is under performing.

Its not just loses. There are a ton of specific things that Mac is doing to hurt the team.

Is he the only problem? NO. But its one that needs to be fixed.

He has cost us 10 points this year atleast with poor decisions and coaching. We would be sitting just fine if it wasn't for mac and while still struggling we would have a lot less of pressure and maybe our players would be able to fix their issues a little better.

The PP's that he rolls our for example: sure our PP is average but I HAVE NEVER seen a Senators PP in 15 years that creates more negative momentum for the team.

It's brutal. Mac must go!

Dave Cameron is the powerplay coach.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The most schizophrenic fan base in the league strikes again. The team underperforms in the first half of one season, after over performing the previous two years, and we see threads about how we need a new owner, how our GM and/or coach should be fired, and players needs to be traded away immediately even if there is no real replacement on hand (see Anderson, Craig and Spezza, Jason). Yes, losing sucks. I hate losing as much as the next fan. But a lot of the reactions here are completely hysterical at best.

I would be best if people just made peace with the fact that the coach is not going anywhere anytime soon. If the team tanks the rest of the near, and starts badly next year, then that type of discussion can begin for real.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The most schizophrenic fan base in the league strikes again. The team underperforms in the first half of one season, after over performing the previous two years, and we see threads about how we need a new owner, how our GM and/or coach should be fired, and players needs to be traded away immediately even if there is no real replacement on hand (see Anderson, Craig and Spezza, Jason). Yes, losing sucks. I hate losing as much as the next fan. But a lot of the reactions here are completely hysterical at best.

I would be best if people just made peace with the fact that the coach is not going anywhere anytime soon. If the team tanks the rest of the near, and starts badly next year, then that type of discussion can begin for real.

So you are perfectly fine with the decisions he's made thus far in the season?

Maxd

Sep 29, 2008

The loony opinion and rage filled rants of the OP aside, this comment caught my interest. What do you have against Cameron? I know virtually nothing about the guy other than "he's that new assistant". His bingo record was meh ... both good and bad. Was he a Murray hire? (probably, given he's from bingo)

Anyway ... give .... why mention him here?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
This guy is the biggest problem on the team. He has to go.
Last year was a fluke and now he is throwing players under the boss.

There were times when Alfie wasn't killing it either, times where he was always getting hurt and was invincible in the playoffs. First round exit after first round on stupidly stacked teams but NO coach ever threw him under the bus.

This guy is pathetic.

PUTTING CONDRA on Jason's wing?
Phillips on the PP
Never putting a PP that consisted of Ryan and spezza
Poor time outs.

This guy is a moron. He got lucky last year with miraculous goaltending but enough is enough.

Jason Spezza has done more for this organization than Maclean ever has and ever will and he will be here long after Maclean.

There is a reason this is hist firt coaching gig. The guy is 2 steps behind and he gets out coached on a nightly basis.

FIRE MAC!!

Can we not demand every coach gets axed after two seasons of success followed by thirty games of mediocrity?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The loony opinion and rage filled rants of the OP aside, this comment caught my interest. What do you have against Cameron? I know virtually nothing about the guy other than "he's that new assistant". His bingo record was meh ... both good and bad. Was he a Murray hire? (probably, given he's from bingo)

Anyway ... give .... why mention him here?

He was hired because of Melnyk. Not because he deserved the job.

He was also the HC of the Canadian WJ team that had that epic 3rd period collapse against the Russians. Really soured me on him.

He was never in Bingo.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

He was also the HC of the Canadian WJ team that had that epic 3rd period collapse against the Russians. Really soured me on him.

He was never in Bingo.

He was in Bingo. He was driven out of town on a rail after many Fire Cameron chants.

He went back to coach the Mississauga ice dogs for Melnyk who also wanted him to be the head coach here.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He was in Bingo. He was driven out of town on a rail after many Fire Cameron chants.

He went back to coach the Mississauga ice dogs for Melnyk who also wanted him to be the head coach here.

Did not know this.

Maxd

Sep 29, 2008

He was never in Bingo.

As was mentioned, he was in Bingo. From wikipedia:

"After four successful seasons with the Toronto St. Michael's Majors of the OHL, Cameron moved up to the AHL, where he would become the head coach of the Binghamton Senators. The Senators saw a 26 point improvement in Cameron's first season with the team, as Binghamton finished in first place in the East Division with a 47–21–7–5 record, earning 106 points. In the first round of the playoffs, the Senators were upset by the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in six games.

With many Binghamton players promoted to the Ottawa Senators for the 2005–06, the club struggled, as they finished with a 35–37–4–4 record, as they missed the playoffs by finishing in fifth place in the East Division, seven points behind the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

The struggles continued in 2006–07, as Binghamton finished with the worst record in the AHL, going 23–48–4–5, earning 55 points, well out of a playoff position."

This Eugene connection bothers me. I'm really starting to dislike this guy (Melnyk).

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Isn't that the point ? There not listening to him, why not make the guys that aren't listening sit ? Boston sat Lucic a couple games last year, is there any wonder why Julien is in complete control.

Imagine if that were to happen here.

Fans and some media had an attack of the vapours because he sat Methot for one game.
Briere is sitting as well. But if anything like that were to happen here. not sure how Ian Mendes could survive the shock.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I dont want Maclean gone, but i have to admit to being baffled by a lot of choices and decisions that have been made this year.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
why cameron over reeds if anyone? reeds does d which has trouble all year

You can make a case for either.

The defensive system is embarrassing this season. The defensive coverage is constantly lulz worthy. Really weird that its happening consider last years defensive game was just so fudging good. It wasn't just goaltending.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If we fired MacLean this way, may as well go back to Clouston because there aren't many quality hires out there looking to come to an org where they can get shelled in 3 months after two outstanding seasons.

MacLean's coaching didn't just change all of a sudden....

But what did change since last year?

Alfies Moustache

Jul 13, 2011
North
I do not think he should be fired, but there are things that need to be fixed. Like most all have seen already, put together a couple of lines and go with them. Why start condra with spezza if he is going to get demoted to third line after the first period?

Need to look at getting the puck out of our zone. He have been talking about it most of the season. Need to look into it and fix that **** as fast as possible. We must learn to bring the puck into offensive zone much more often than we are doing at the moment.

This brings us to the third question, which is how we bring it into the offensive zone. We just dump it so often scares me, and often times we are not first on the puck. If we are the second one on the puck, often times the opposition can clear it without any problems.

Switch that and look at the opposition. If they dump it they are quite often first one on the puck. If they are not, they still can keep it in the zone. It frustrates me, and this is something the training staff need to fix.

We can also look into the pp and pk. What is this? Even though our goalies played like complete walls last season, we shouldn't have regressed this much. Also, seeing as we have troubles getting the puck out of our zone and also into their offensive, this translates directly to our pp. It is laughable how bad we are sometimes to bring the puck into their zone with one more player on the ice.

These are things I hope they are trying to fix, but it is extremely hard for us to know. We only know that we keep playing like **** most of the time and the post game interview looks the same, my initial reaction is of wtf.

I think murray understands this, and probably have an open conversation a lot of the time, and if we regress even more I can see Macleans seat getting hotter and hotter.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Kassian playing...ever.

Give up a shorty, put Greening-Smith-Neil on the ice WHILE STILL ON THE PP.

Turris & Karlsson on the point for a PP. Team scores, never use that combo again.

Anderson starting games when Lehner is on a roll.

Scratching your best D when he is healthy.

Constant line juggling.

The team has no identity, no leadership and no direction.

The guy's a clown.

To point the finger at MacLean is nothing more than a feeble attempt to distract from the real issue, the players.

Regardless of who sits and who plays, MacLean can't be blamed for the mental mistakes being committed by the players.

This isn't minor league hockey, the players have to prepare themselves mentally, be focused and ready to play. The simple fact is too many players, on too many nights, just aren't prepared and the results don't lie.

The system isn't the problem or this team wouldn't have victories over Detroit, St. Louis, Boston, and Montreal.

The line changes are not a reflection of poor coaching, but a clear indication of players not competing. MacLean would probably be more than happy to have the same lineup with the same lines, defense pairings and goaltender for 82 games if the team was competing and giving itself a solid chance at winning.

Your complaints about the PP are just noise, the Sens were 2/3 on the PP last night and it wasn't the top guys you want playing that made the contribution.

The inconsistency of this team lies with the players, not the coaches.

The leadership on this team isn't getting the job done, it is that simple.

MacLean didn't get lucky last year as one poster claimed, what he had last year was a team that competed night after night, win or lose.

Fact is this team just isn't hungry enough, they all say the right stuff but they absolutely don't walk the talk.

Personally I could care less if the players are frustrated because they can't play two consecutive games at a high compete level.

Time for the veteran players to step up and lead by example, if they don't Murray needs to take stronger action than a post game locker room meeting.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If we fired MacLean this way, may as well go back to Clouston because there aren't many quality hires out there looking to come to an org where they can get shelled in 3 months after two outstanding seasons.

MacLean's coaching didn't just change all of a sudden....

But what did change since last year?[/QUOTE]

Can't ask that question because it requires people to stop looking for the scapegoat of the day activity that abounds on this forum after a loss.

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
The coach is just fine the team is not that great, the only way we were even a "dark horse" this year was if the goalies played unreal again.

This we have the #1 d-men, goalie and center back is crap too. Of the 3 players only karl is living up to the role. Anderson has self destructed and when its this hard to find someone to play with spezza, well maybe the issue is spezza. ( hint it is guy hasn't scored in forever)

thefatjesus*

At least P Macs won something in his career as a coach (Stanley Cup, Jack Adams)..Spezzas won..um

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I think a huge issue is that the Sens have over performed the last two seasons and now we expect that.

I'm not going to say I agree with all the choices MacLean has made. But it's beyond him that is the issue. I doubt a new coach would change a damn thing.

First off we have a young team that has over performed for a few seasons. Then our top players are ALL coming off of season ending injuries. I don't know why people didn't expect some struggle. Then pile on the fact that we still lack a few key players and that goaltending has been less than stellar and presto we have a team that is a bit worse than we were last year. You need to realize the last two years with over performing the Sens were just making the playoffs. Now with under performing the Sens are on the cusp of making the playoffs. Oh big shock!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad