Rumor: Columbus in trade talks; trying to acquire Top 6 center

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Milano or Calvert would likely be able to go that way. Milano is ready and has been at mid 6 LW but our depth at wing has been too much other then injury call ups where I've liked him a lot. Calvert has always been a great 3rd line player. Brings great PK and hard minutes.

Milano could replace some of the playmaking we lost with Drouin but his other shortcomings would have him in Coopers doghouse worse than Drouin ever worse, just don't see him as a Cooper type player. Calvert is and would be a nice add but is an expensive 3rd liner when we already have two of those in Killorn and Callahan who are better than him?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Milano could replace some of the playmaking we lost with Drouin but his other shortcomings would have him in Coopers doghouse worse than Drouin ever worse, just don't see him as a Cooper type player. Calvert is and would be a nice add but is an expensive 3rd liner when we already have two of those in Killorn and Callahan who are better than him?
Jenner could likely be moved to go back if insisted upon it would just cost I guess. If Jenner is moved Dubi/PLD could always split C and W time. I'd have to look at the TBL prospects more or it would be something like a 18 1st. We wouldn't likely want another NHL player because cap and already having more players then roster spots.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So McDavid and Drai are the new face of the Jackets? I can do it too. RNH couldn't get Jones in the 1st place when he actually had value. The preds wanted an add. Sure as hell wouldn't get him now.

Nashville asked the price on RNH and didn't like the answer. RNH at 3 million would command a hefty return, one I seriously doubt your GM would pay. You traded a #1C to get a young potential #1D, don't think another team is going to sell low on their #1C. They'd ask for Werenski.

You don't have the pieces for Draisaitl and :laugh: at McDavid. If your GM comes knocking for a top 6 C from Edmonton only RNH would potentially be available and our coach and GM love him. He wouldn't come cheap or be available for spare parts.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
So many looking for a top 6 center.... I guess Lou aint trading Bozak.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lmao What? You could retain 100% of RNH and hebwouldnt get Jones helmet

If your GM is looking for a top 6 centre and has as high expectations as you guys do with as many pieces off the table as you guys do, you might as well just try to sign Joe Thornton. Centres are valuable, particularly young ones like RNH, and they don't get traded for whatever is in your couch cushions.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Like I said with the Preds, the BJ's should just sign Thornton and/or Marleau to one year deal(s).

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Jones+ for RNH (50% retained) is asinine, even as a hyperbolic response. RNH has trade value, considering his pedigree, position and two-way ability, but not to any significant extent as a guy coming off of a 43 point season and a goalless playoff performance.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Points aren't everything

So your GM was dumb to trade Saad for Panarin then, right? I mean, Panarin puts up more points than Saad, but they're not everything, so...

and again Dubi puts up what RNH does...

Dubi puts up what RNH does when RNH is used as a 3rd liner, yes. But the only way RNH still scores 40 points playing where he should be- i.e., in the top six- is if you cut off one of his legs.

Think about it another way: this is the first year RNH has been a 3C, and it is the only time he has had less than 50 points in a full (60+ GP) season. Surely you can spot the correlation.

So while RNH puts up more points Jenner has the potential to put up more goals

So why does your team apparently feel the need to acquire a center then? The prospect of Jenner scoring 30 goals (and from the third line, no less!) should be enough, right?

while Dubi does the same offensively yet better on D.

Come on now. Dubinsky does worse offensively. I mean, look, you can admit you don't know anything about RNH- that's fine. But at least refer to HockeyDB or something before trying to argue something like this.

So we don't get better at C yet lose the goal scoring potential.

Potential that, once again, Jenner would have to achieve from the third line. You aren't losing anything if there's no realistic opportunity it happens.

And Torts plays the guys who are playing the best that day and doesn't have set lines or minutes too play.

That's weird, because Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson (15%), Saad-Wennberg-Foligno (13.4%), Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson (8%) and Hartnell-Gagner-Sedlak (5.8%) all spent appreciably more time together than any other set of combinations.

In fact, the first two lines played together more than any other top six in the National Hockey League- even more than Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl (11%) and Lucic-RNH-Eberle (7%). In other words, you're making stuff up.

Guys like Bill Karlson and Sedlak were getting good minutes last year and Karlson was moved to Crosby so Dubi could shut down Malkin who was playing too well while Crosby wasn't playing great.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The Coach of the Year tried to find a shadow to put up against Crosby? Amazing!

So if he trusts our low level offense guys because they are playing well and hard at all times in important games RNH isn't guaranteed even 3C minutes.

:laugh: If you don't think a proven 50-point center is "guaranteed even 3C minutes" then you aren't going to be happy with anything less than Crosby as your 2C. That's absolutely ridiculous.

We only lost to The pens because Bob gave up like 4 goals a game. Had nothing to do with offense outside of game 1 maybe or D outside of injuries.

And yet here we are again with your team actually looking for something to improve the offense. I guess they disagree with you.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
PLD had a disappointing season. I doubt that gets it done, and Galchenyuk has barely played any centre at the NHL level thanks to Therrien.

I also believe Dubois has switched to LW full time.

I wouldn't trade Dubois for either of them and he has not moved to LW.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jones+ for RNH (50% retained) is asinine, even as a hyperbolic response. RNH has trade value, considering his pedigree, position and two-way ability, but not to any significant extent as a guy coming off of a 43 point season and a goalless playoff performance.

Probably you're right, but Edmonton has no incentive to move him for spare parts either.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nashville asked the price on RNH and didn't like the answer. RNH at 3 million would command a hefty return, one I seriously doubt your GM would pay. You traded a #1C to get a young potential #1D, don't think another team is going to sell low on their #1C. They'd ask for Werenski.

You don't have the pieces for Draisaitl and :laugh: at McDavid. If your GM comes knocking for a top 6 C from Edmonton only RNH would potentially be available and our coach and GM love him. He wouldn't come cheap or be available for spare parts.

After the Hall and Eberle trades and going back to the Seguin and Boychuk trades..i wouldn't be too sure

Edit: And let's not forget Griffin Reinhart

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
After the Hall and Eberle trades and going back to the Seguin and Boychuk trades..i wouldn't be too sure

Hall got back a top pairing defenceman, Eberle was moved for cap reasons as was Boychuk - who was a pending UFA and is barely top 4 quality these days - and seguin had maturity issues and still returned a top line player as part of the package. The writing has been on the wall for Eberle since McDavid was drafted.

Offer value/things Edmonton needs or nothing to discuss.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hall got back a top pairing defenceman, Eberle was moved for cap reasons as was Boychuk - who was a pending UFA and is barely top 4 quality these days - and seguin had maturity issues and still returned a top line player as part of the package. The writing has been on the wall for Eberle since McDavid was drafted.

Offer value/things Edmonton needs or nothing to discuss.

Anything can be spun. I don't care about the offers..i was responding to the point that Chia wont just sell low on RNH when clearly he has demonstrated he will..time and time again

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Anything can be spun. I don't care about the offers..i was responding to the point that Chia wont just sell low on RNH when clearly he has demonstrated he will..time and time again

There are reasons. There is no reason to shuffle RNH along. He plays a lot of 2C so McDavid can play with Drai on his RW and shoot the lights out. RNH stays. Might be a day he doesn't, but look at all those deals you mentioned - every single one he got at least one good to great piece pack, and all of them were NHL proven.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So many looking for a top 6 center.... I guess Lou aint trading Bozak.

Not saying the leafs should trade Bozak but if they want something of value back instead of letting him go for nothing they be best off to trade him. All that being said what the Leaf could get for him is probably not worth it(ie just keep him then let him sign elsewhere)

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

It's funny how HF tells us our players aren't worth anything and then claims Chia "sold low" every time he makes a trade. Can't be both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad