Columbus and New Jersey avoiding Pittsburgh

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hoping Boston wins tomorrow as I believe New Jersey could tire them out and give them a good run for their money. That also means I believe NJ has a good chance at winning.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
It's pretty clear that both Columbus and New Jersey rested their best players and lost on purpose to avoid playing Pittsburgh. Both are willing to face higher seeded teams (Washington and Atlantic winner). This is a dumb and cowardly decision in my opinion. Pitt is not the juggernaut it was the last 2 years.

Thoughts?

In closing, Tortorella is a coward

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Islanders did the same thing 2 years ago when they lost on purpose to get over to the Atlantic bracket.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pens are better than last year if Murray can play at an average level.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I don't understand why New Jersey would want to avoid Pittsburgh.

New Jersey has played PIT very well this year and I would think that's who'd they want. I would much rather face PIT instead of BOS or TB.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Write a letter to both head coaches - I'm sure they'll take your opinion into consideration when making a similar type of decision in the future.

Why the hell should the Devils risk losing any of their best players in a meaningless game?

Reactions: glenwo2

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Doubt NJ was trying to avoid Pittsburgh....

CBJ on the other hand...that's weak by them to sit half their lineup, but at the same time, i can't blame them either. The last two times they made the playoffs, they played the pens in the 1st round and gotten knocked out, might as well try their luck against another team.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I don't understand why New Jersey would want to avoid Pittsburgh.

New Jersey has played PIT very well this year and I would think that's who'd they want. I would much rather face PIT instead of BOS or TB.
they didn't. every matchup would be tough for them (Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, or Tampa) so might as well give as much rest and risk injury to the guys who have been playing crazy amount of minutes just so the Devils could make the playoffs

Reactions: glenwo2

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
We're not getting murdered by the flyers.
Well first off, you're not doing anything.

Second, I don't think anyone here suggested that the Flyers would 'murder' anyone. Good to see that's where Penguins fans' minds are though, yikes.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Write a letter to both head coaches - I'm sure they'll take your opinion into consideration when making a similar type of decision in the future.

Why the hell should the Devils risk losing any of their best players in a meaningless game?

They could get home ice in the second round.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think either team cared. Devils decided to rest their players before the Philly game even started. I'm assuming Blue Jackets did the same.

I think both teams were willing to take their chances against anyone with how well they've been playing to end the season. Better to rest their players who have essentially been playing playoff hockey the last month then take any chances.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Columbus wants to avoid the Penguins like the plague, much like Washington. I think NJ was just resting their star players.

You could tell from Tortorella's reaction after Kessel scored in OT on Thursday that he didn't want to go through the same song and dance from last year.

Reactions: farscape1

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
May have backfired on NJ if they were trying for Tampa. They could end up getting Boston who imo they don't have much of a chance against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad