GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Ottawa Senators - 7PM - TSN5/RDS - I am NOT OKAY, OKAY. Just Mads Edition

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I didn't see the 3rd so can't comment on the meltdown but a large part of the Sens problem is not making hay when the sun shines

4-3 game going into the 3rd. Bednar tells the boys "i know you're tired, but that's a fragile team over there. We win one period tonight, we win"

The problem with that is it probably should have been a 4-1 game.

Can't win when pucks are going thru goalies

Reactions: Flamingo

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Those of you blaming Soggie are right, he probably should have used his telekinetic mind powers from the bench to stop ✋️ that open net goal..

And the one where Sandy kicked the goalie stick out of his hands..

And the clear look by Rantanen after the s**t line change left him wide open..

And the usual Chabot f up...

Etc etc. But of course, blame the goalie

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Those of you blaming Soggie are right, he probably should have used his telekinetic mind powers from the bench to stop ✋️ that open net goal..

Soogard usually let's in 4 plus. It's normal for him

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The D is the worst problem of this team
Still
And Jack Capuano is the one remaining factor

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
First 2 periods were pretty good. 3rd period was a complete meltdown
Complete meltdown seems like a boy of hyperbole, at least in terms of how they played.

It wasn't 20 mins of one sided play, the Avs had a good push to start the period but after that the chances were pretty even, maybe even leaned in our favour. The biggest difference was their goalie made the stops, or we missed the wide open net, rang it off bars ect

I don't want to let the skaters off the hook, we need to reduce the odd man rushes, and do a better job of slowing down the pace when defending a lead. Gap control by the D when the opposition enters our zone is still a big issue and resolving that would probably really help out the goalies.

But, if you showed me a replay of that game, cutting out the second before all the goals, I'd think we had the score reversed.

They played well against a really good team. If we weren't having such a crappy season, you could be pretty happy with the effort, while still disappointed that we gave up the led.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Is the last time a goalie stole a game Boston mid last year? Seems like it by my count. This season is bizarre. Either our defence shits the bed or our goalie night in and night out.

I guess Korpisalo in Pittsburgh. Maybe another one I’m forgetting this season.
Rangers game? I don't remember the specifics, or whether our goalie stole the game, but we won that game. We don't need the goalies to "steal a game", but we do need the goalies to help us win. Few teams have a Shesterkin, Price, or a Hasek. But lots of teams win lots of games (Cups even) with average/decent goaltending. It's a team game. A rising team lifts all boats.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Senator Management have sent out a call for volunteers to come and search for survivors of the Avalanche that occurred at the CTC last night

1705497815746.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Man Soogard had one of the worst live goalie performances I've ever seen. Chances are gonna happen its Colorado. Didn't matter who was shooting looked like prime Brett Hull.

Obviously other players made mistakes it happens he literally looked like he had never played goalie before. He's so bad.

Reactions: SensontheRush

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Keep Zub & Sandy and rebuild the entire D-core.

We need tough as nails Dmen that take sticks, clear the front of the net, win dzone board battles, and can stand up opposing forwards at the blueline.... it so easy to enter our zone its embarrassing.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Only team in the league that needs to play perfect defensively to give their goalies a shot at winning the game.

Serious question: what are you guys watching the games for? I don't mean that in the general sense, I mean it specifically. Like, which elements of the game are you watching for? Or players? Or development? Or whatever? I can't imagine anyone is watching for the entertainment value of getting blown out every night. Genuinely curious what people are looking for when they watch the games?

I have to admit, I'm so checked out of the season I kinda forgot there was a game last night. It's the first time, as a fan of the team, that I can say I didn't remember there was a game on. Just wondering what's got everyone else invested in watching the games.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Only team in the league that needs to play perfect defensively to give their goalies a shot at winning the game.

Serious question: what are you guys watching the games for? I don't mean that in the general sense, I mean it specifically. Like, which elements of the game are you watching for? Or players? Or development? Or whatever? I can't imagine anyone is watching for the entertainment value of getting blown out every night. Genuinely curious what people are looking for when they watch the games?

I have to admit, I'm so checked out of the season I kinda forgot there was a game last night. It's the first time, as a fan of the team, that I can say I didn't remember there was a game on. Just wondering what's got everyone else invested in watching the games.

I just take the approach that I am watching training camp and evaluation for next year.

And it is on in the background, it does not get my full attention at this point.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I didn't think it would be possible for us to be worse than last season but here we are with another collapse.

The game(s) against the Habs are going to be embarrassing.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

UP until the third period, the game was very entertaining. Sandy scored a beauty and Grieg had two! Of course, last night I wanted to specifically see how Mads would do and up until the third, he was pretty decent.

Reactions: Cosmix

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

I watch for:

- Giroux's shifts where he tries to carry the team on his back
- fascinated with inconsistency in our top 4 d
- will Stu finish the period in his development where he plays with the jagged edge of what he can to and what he can't? E.g., aggressive cut-back high delays where he loses an edge; pushing puck past the defender and trying to dance past them without adjusting centre of gravity to leverage off them.
- Chucky can be fun to watch, he looked more like himself the past few games.
- will Joseph return to form? He's had some stretches of fantastic play this season.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

Do we have an excuse for every goal ever scored on this team? Because last time I checked, the opposing goalies make saves after shit line changes or on slight screens. What was 5.00gaard's excuse for the blueline shot that went in that was called back on the offside?

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I put the blame on the forwards!

If they would just score 5 goals a game we might be somewhere. Wouldn't have won last night, but they need to do their job better.

:sarcasm::cool:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Its like some kind of addiction... Or just routine. There's no excitement. There's no hope. It's not fun.

But I still do it. I'm not even watching for any individual players success. That doesn't bring me joy. So what if Sanderson is a top 15 D while the sens are bottom 10? What does that give me?

At this point it's more of a chore....so what I do is I remember there's a game at 630 or something so I go to the guide and record the game, then I go do something fun or productive til 8, then I watch the game and fast forward through whistles, commercials , and intermission and finish the game in 1.5 hours instead of 2.5 hours. That and I generally multi task and don't pay attention until I hear the play by play get excited.

It saves my sanity. That way I can see all the big hits or big saves or big goals as they happen, but don't have to subject myself to awful hockey.

I also expect us to lose even when we have a 2-3 or even 4 goal lead, so that saves me from the heart attack of losing games you were hoping to win.

Long story short,

I've grown very apathetic and have separated myself from the product.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Man Soogard had one of the worst live goalie performances I've ever seen. Chances are gonna happen its Colorado. Didn't matter who was shooting looked like prime Brett Hull.

Obviously other players made mistakes it happens he literally looked like he had never played goalie before. He's so bad.
I was there as well, wrist shots from far out going in, including the offside called back one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad