GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Ottawa Senators - 7PM - TSN5/RDS - I am NOT OKAY, OKAY. Just Mads Edition

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Joseph has been kind of disappointing since his return.
Did you see him on that PK last night?
Its like some kind of addiction... Or just routine. There's no excitement. There's no hope. It's not fun.

But I still do it. I'm not even watching for any individual players success. That doesn't bring me joy. So what if Sanderson is a top 15 D while the sens are bottom 10? What does that give me?

At this point it's more of a chore....so what I do is I remember there's a game at 630 or something so I go to the guide and record the game, then I go do something fun or productive til 8, then I watch the game and fast forward through whistles, commercials , and intermission and finish the game in 1.5 hours instead of 2.5 hours. That and I generally multi task and don't pay attention until I hear the play by play get excited.

It saves my sanity. That way I can see all the big hits or big saves or big goals as they happen, but don't have to subject myself to awful hockey.

I also expect us to lose even when we have a 2-3 or even 4 goal lead, so that saves me from the heart attack of losing games you were hoping to win.

Long story short,

I've grown very apathetic and have separated myself from the product.
im conditioned as well. I thought we played great through 2 periods, accepted the soft goals against as inevitable but at least we were playing hockey, and kind of figured we would lose in the end even though we were up.

I remember Mark Stone in an intermission when we were mounting a mini-comeback against the knights (early last year?) when he said “we are up by two, pretty sure we’ll be take this one” (or something to that effect). I look forward to a day where that’s what this team is.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It’s time for JBD to take a regular spot over Hamonic.
The thing about Hamonic is he doesn't make a lot of mental mistakes; he just can't keep up due to age.

We have enough mistake-prone dmen. I do agree that we need to be able to push Hamonic down to 7th D.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Only team in the league that needs to play perfect defensively to give their goalies a shot at winning the game.

Serious question: what are you guys watching the games for? I don't mean that in the general sense, I mean it specifically. Like, which elements of the game are you watching for? Or players? Or development? Or whatever? I can't imagine anyone is watching for the entertainment value of getting blown out every night. Genuinely curious what people are looking for when they watch the games?

I have to admit, I'm so checked out of the season I kinda forgot there was a game last night. It's the first time, as a fan of the team, that I can say I didn't remember there was a game on. Just wondering what's got everyone else invested in watching the games.
Since the games are almost always at 4-4:30 I usually have the scores spoiled by the time I sit down to watch the game. It makes it hard to watch games I know we lost, and this season it’s even harder to muster the desire to spend the time. Next season I’m sure will be different with new faces and coaching, but this season seems like the bridge to far on the old system, guard, etc…

Weekend games I can catch live, and then I can suffer the frustrations in real time like everyone else lol!!

I’ll say this though, I am excepted for the continued shake up of the organization and look forward to a fresh deadline, draft, and off season with the new regime, finally.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The thing about Hamonic is he doesn't make a lot of mental mistakes; he just can't keep up due to age.

We have enough mistake-prone dmen. I do agree that we need to be able to push Hamonic down to 7th D.

He still makes his fair share and when he doesn’t he often arrives a half step too late.

I think JBD brings enough right now to replace him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Its like some kind of addiction... Or just routine. There's no excitement. There's no hope. It's not fun.

But I still do it. I'm not even watching for any individual players success. That doesn't bring me joy. So what if Sanderson is a top 15 D while the sens are bottom 10? What does that give me?

At this point it's more of a chore....so what I do is I remember there's a game at 630 or something so I go to the guide and record the game, then I go do something fun or productive til 8, then I watch the game and fast forward through whistles, commercials , and intermission and finish the game in 1.5 hours instead of 2.5 hours. That and I generally multi task and don't pay attention until I hear the play by play get excited.

It saves my sanity. That way I can see all the big hits or big saves or big goals as they happen, but don't have to subject myself to awful hockey.

I also expect us to lose even when we have a 2-3 or even 4 goal lead, so that saves me from the heart attack of losing games you were hoping to win.

Long story short,

I've grown very apathetic and have separated myself from the product.
Just an excuse to have a few pops mid week lol!

Reactions: Bileur

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
It was a very bad decision to go with Soggy in this one, that lost us this one; however, hopefully the wakeup call gets to Korpisalo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He still makes his fair share and when he doesn’t he often arrives a half step too late.

I think he makes some absolutely brain dead plays. The one thing I like about him is his battle level on the boards .. Anything involving skating or the puck is not good

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Greig following Mackinnon back towards the point... Makar comes off the point and switches with MacKinnon.

That was a typical Sens move in the D zone. Two brain dead players.

I think he makes some absolutely brain dead plays. The one thing I like about him is his battle level on the boards .. Anything involving skating or the puck is not good
That's Hamonic!

f*** OFF EVERY f***ING TIME
Need to hand out uppers after each goal we score!

Reactions: Senscore

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Everyone on the team thinks their superstars or something. Lazy stick checks. Lazy gap control. Finesse passes and plays.

There were a couple instances yesterday where a forward actually closed the gap on one of the points and guess what happened? The Colorado Avalanche player had no other option but to throw it down low and no scoring chance came of it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Everyone on the team thinks their superstars or something. Lazy stick checks. Lazy gap control. Finesse passes and plays.

There were a couple instances yesterday where a forward actually closed the gap on one of the points and guess what happened? The Colorado Avalanche player had no other option but to throw it down low and no scoring chance came of it.
Lots of "fishing" for pucks and no body checking! We need some big bruisers.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So it appears that the rule interpretation is "skates" over blue line. It would be a calamity if they started looking at all body parts!
Here's the rule, it's pretty clearly skates.

A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with the blue line, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blue line. On his own side of the line shall be defined by a “plane” of the blue line which shall extend from the leading edge of the blue line upwards. If a player’s skate has yet to break the “plane” prior to the puck crossing the leading edge, he is deemed to be on-side for the purpose of the off-side rule.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Positives:

Special teams looked really good, pk was getting the clears, the pp scored and when it didn't, it at least got some chances.

Despite the score, I thought we did pretty well a limiting the number of chances against, I'd like to see fewer oddan rushes, but I never felt like the avs were controlling the play for extended periods

On the flip side, we had a number of shifts where we really took it to them and got the cycle going, we created a lot of chances in the home plate and were rewarded with some goals

This wasn't a game you burn the tape and move on from (unless you're Sogaard), there were some real positives, and some things we could learn from.
There is some excellent video in this game on how not to play the game. Featuring Kubalik, Chabot, Greg, Tkachuk, etc.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It feels like every game they go up 1-2-3 goals and then find a way to lose. I don't think I've seen this before. Basically Anti-pesky Sens.
The Senators do not seem to have the ability to play tight defensively without the puck when in the lead. They make mistakes which lead to shots and goals against. They do not anticipate that the other team is going to take higher risk plays to try to get back into the game. Their collective hockey IQ is low. The previous coaching staff did not teach them well.

Reactions: LiseL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Yes JBD should replace Hamonic; however, JBD does not bring enough to the task. He plays too soft and is not big nor strong enough.

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yes JBD should replace Hamonic; however, JBD does not bring enough to the task. He plays too soft and is not big nor strong enough.

Agree, ideally we’d upgrade but until then we should at least use the best internal option.

Reactions: DrEasy

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Honestly just listening to everyone around the team talk about the win against SJ as if it meant anything at all says a lot about the mentality right now. They get overconfident quite easily and forget that every single shift needs to be balls to the wall at both ends of the ice, especially against an actual NHL team.
And let's not forget, they barely beat SJ.

You think that because Sogaard made some good saves he was decent??? He wasn't; he let in six of which 2-3 were very stoppable.
2 of those goals were glove side where he missed catching them. He needs to work on that. Also seems to have a hard time holding on to his stick.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4