Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I feel like AJ more or less keeps his biases out of his stories, whereas I think Dater occasionally fails in that aspect.

I'd love a Portzline/Russo (yes, Russo)/Mirtle/Bourne-level writer covering the Avs, unfortunately I think the best shot at that is Sadowski. He's not what I'd consider just brilliant but he reports the news straight-up and doesn't serve up nonsense like a fluff piece bashing the Avs for buying out Francois Beauchemin.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I play hockey with a writer for the Post, and he mentioned The Athletic looked at Chambers for the Avs coverage role. In the end, they deemed him too old for what they were building, so we seemingly dodged a bullet there.

Whether or not this is 100% factual, I have no idea. It’s just what he told me when we started chatting about The Athletic coming to town.

AvHooligan

Oct 10, 2015
I appreciate what they do. I haven't seen anyone else cover the Avs as in depth as BSN. I don't have to agree with all their hot takes and bickering to appreciate their work.

Haters gonna hate

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I appreciate what they do. I haven't seen anyone else cover the Avs as in depth as BSN. I don't have to agree with all their hot takes and bickering to appreciate their work.

Haters gonna hate

I don’t think anyone here is unappreciative of their work, I just think it’s hard to take them seriously with how they act on social media.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Haters gonna hate

People can appreciate someones work while also having criticisms against them.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't take them seriously at all. They're a couple of guys that happen to have media access and resources behind them.

You know, while they have their flaws, I actually don't mind them as much as many of you do.

First, I can totally respect their willingness to try and build something out of little or nothing, and try to improve upon a sports forum (Denver Post) that desperately needs it. Second, while I don't agree with everything either guy writes, there is both history and hockey knowledge present, and the stuff they write ranks up there with the really knowledgable people in this forum - I tend to read them with equal respect and attention. The fact that the two guys have some (even if it's small) access to the team, doesn't hurt them.

What I dislike, is the dismissal of others' opinions. I remember a number of years back, ADater posted something publicly along the lines of "...I never ever care what anyone says when critiquing my writing, I couldn't care less...". I'm paraphrasing him there, but it was clear that his attitude was that he writes what he writes, and any disagreement with his concusions were going to be summarily 100% completely ignored/dismissed by him. Which is a position I found to be profoundly arrogant. I get that writers have to have thick skin, because all kinds of criticism can come from all angles when you've put yourself out there publicly like that. But any smart person knows that listening to and accepting at least some criticism is a necessary ingredient for both success and excellence in one's work. We're all wrong sometimes, we're all misinformed sometimes, we're all stupid sometimes. Stupid and stubborn is never a good combination.

I'm not sure if Dater has brought that dismissive attitude into BSN, or AJ had it himself to begin with, but I believe the two of them would be well served to abandon it completely. If they don't, I believe the two of them are wasting a good opportunity to bring a new fresh voice into the Denver sports/hockey market. It would be so much better for the two of them to actually invite opposing opinion, then discussing it in an open intelligent manner, rather than having such thin skin. Perhaps not wholesale from all comers, but at least from amongst a group of a few dozen known intelligent hockey people. I would welcome such a hockey product here in Denver.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The last Dater piece I read was...quite bad. The shift of some writers to exclusively web-based content like The Athletic and BSN has, in their own words, allowed them a lot more leeway in how they write and how much they can write (they don't have to worry about column spacing and what not, plus whatever editorial constraints come with traditional newspapers) but the piece I read recently just came off like a typo-laden screed I'd expect to read on some teenager's blog from 2002. Don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of good content on BSN thus far, but that was not a prime example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad