Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

No Avs for now. Someone asked about hockey in Denver and they responded with "coming soon."

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There's no doubt that BSN will take a hit because they cover the main pro sports in Denver, but The Athletic coming in is going to hurt, no doubt.

As far as the coverage of the Avs with The Athletic...it just depends on who they get. Whoever that is will go a long way towards the quality of coverage. People can rip the knowledge of people at BSN, and seldom do--it's a free country, but since moving to a sub model they've made some very nice features (I liked the Ray Bourque one recently), and as I stated before--they still have AD, and whether or not people like him or dislike him, he's been probably the voice of the Avs since they came to town, when it came to sports writing.

It may not be any of the people that have been floated, they may lift someone entirely new, and that could be fun too. A good way for an unknown to make a name for themselves.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I've probably said more negative things than positives about BSN, but the more competition the better.

Really this.

I understand that people may not be warm to BSN, and that's fine--everyone is entitled to their opinion (I personally think they've become a nice avenue for coverage on the team :dunno:), but to see people actively hope for job loss? For them to go out of business? Why? So that we have one source for coverage?

I'd rather see both compete, in the end the readers will be the beneficiaries.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
As much as I regret the Athletic not covering the AVs right now, I kinda respect them even more for not rushing into a bad hire.

I'd find it hard to believe that they chose to move into Denver and didn't look into getting AVs coverage. I have to imagine that they took a look at the current situation in Denver, maybe even had some interviews and decided that it wasn't good enough to put their name on it and chose to wait.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would not be surprised to see Dater jump ship and join the Athletic as soon as the season is over. He still must have some respect of the big media guys, especially in Toronto. I can also see Rick or Ryan taking it.

I have really only followed the Maple Leafs athletic coverage, and it is great, player grades each game, recaps, and also major stories.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
TMV or Sadowski would be cool.

And I know it most likely will not happen, but I feel like Dater would be awesome. He's always been a really good writer moreso than than the everyday beat reporting.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't want Dater's tirades/narratives to get national exposure lol. Dude will be calling for a chance in captaincy for his first article.

Yeah, he's extremely volatile, and knows jack shit about analytics.

I just want them to hire someone who knows hockey, and has at least some aptitude for analytics. Aj and Dater just march the casuals right off the cliff into stupidity on a regular basis.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
...I know they've snagged a few already from other publications but has anyone actually moved cities for The Athletic yet?

The guy they got to cover the Twins moved from Chicago.

Russo's past competition (from the St Paul paper), Chad Graff, now also works for The Athletic covering a mixed bag of stuff. I wonder if he'd be a possibility. He's young and might be up for moving. Otherwise, nationwide there might be a lot of people willing to move, but not until next season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Appreciate anyone throwing my name out there but I’m fairly certain I’m not anywhere on their radar.

I would guess they bring in someone from out of town.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I've held off but I'm going to pay for a subscription now, just waiting to see who they announce for the Avs coverage. If they end up hiring Dater lol.

I'd personally like to see some fresh blood. Bring someone in from out of town. No disrespect to TMV or Sadowski who I respect a lot. I'd love to get our own version of Russo.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And nobody mentioned me...

giphy.gif

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I've held off but I'm going to pay for a subscription now, just waiting to see who they announce for the Avs coverage. If they end up hiring Dater lol.

I'd personally like to see some fresh blood. Bring someone in from out of town. No disrespect to TMV or Sadowski who I respect a lot. I'd love to get our own version of Russo.

Sign up but don’t pay. After a few days they will give you like 40-50% off your subscription.

Reactions: Ararana

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I wouldn't want Dater's tirades/narratives to get national exposure lol. Dude will be calling for a change in captaincy for his first article.

Fair enough, but I find he's a great story teller. Not all the time but he has some golden articles every now and then. Blood Feud is an awesome book too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad