Prospect Info: Cole Perfetti, 10th Overall Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Beyond Connor, I meant.
Berdin
BlankImpoliteBass-size_restricted.gif

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Pronman loves him, had him ranked 5th: Pronman’s scouting report: What the Jets are getting in Cole Perfetti

Hockey Sense:

Perfetti is an elite passer, and has the combination of vision and patience to be one of the best playmakers in the league. He has the hockey sense that all top passers do to wait an extra second or make that one extra pass that leaves the defense flat-footed...

Puck Skills:

Perfetti is a tremendous passer and can make a ton of plays to his teammates. But he also can break shifts open with his puck handling. His ability to make great passes only makes him more dangerous when he’s able to beat a defender and create an odd-man rush...

His coordination with the puck is elite. He picks up loose pucks very easily and is very hard to strip of possession...

Skating:

The part about Perfetti’s game that gives NHL scouts the most hesitation is his skating ability, especially as a player who is barely pushing 5-foot-11. He’s not a poor skater, but for someone who is projected to go in the top 10, he does not really have an explosive element in his game.

The skating is good enough to skate in the NHL. He has enough quickness to gain the zone cleanly and get some separation...

However, a lot of his entries can die quickly because he can’t push defenders back. At the NHL level, he doesn’t project as a player who is going to threaten with his quickness.

Production:

Perfetti’s stat line jumps out easily. He was second in the OHL in scoring. His full season pace was 41 goals and 124 points. His points per game was 1.82. Of modern day OHL prospects under age 18, which I’m defining as from 2000 onward, players within 0.2 of that number in either direction are: Fellow 2020 draft-eligible Quinton Byfield, John Tavares, Mitch Marner, Dylan and Ryan Strome, Kyle Wellwood, Steven Stamkos, Tyler Seguin, and Andrei Svechnikov...

His international track record is just as strong. His Hlinka Gretzky performance was extremely good. He set a single tournament record with 12 points in five games and tied Vasili Podkolzin for most goals in a tournament with eight.

Projection:

It’s easy to get excited about Perfetti. He’s extremely skilled, extremely intelligent, has lit the OHL on fire in his two seasons, as a top player for two very strong Saginaw teams, and has done great versus his peers on the international stage...

Perfetti is going to be the ultimate litmus test of how far skill and hockey sense can carry a player. He’s not tiny, but he’s below-average at 5-foot-11, and his feet are below-average for the NHL scale even if about average for the top pro levels...

I have Perfetti No. 5 on my board...

He simply has too much skill, his production is incredible over his entire young career and there’s enough evidence to show he’s going to become a great NHL player, a first-line forward, even if he will have his hurdles.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Really happy with this pick. Given he already put up 111 points in the OHL, I wonder if Jets player development group make sure he uses next season to focus on work at C and improving his skating. Clearly he can score, but the other parts of his game will need to be shored up in order to succeed as a 1B centre behind Scheif.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad