Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Tyson Barrie (4 years, $5.5M AAV)

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
UFA years are far less important in contract negotiations over the next couple of years than the year your client next becomes a free agent. It will be tied to the expiry of the US television contract with NBC at the end of 20-21.

Live Sports is far more valuable to TV now than when the last NHL US contract was signed in 2011.($200mm/yr). For those who don't follow the NBA, their long term TV contract just jumped from $930mm/yr to $2600/yr. As a result after 10 years of near stagnation the salary cap has been negotiated upwards from $70mm last year to $94mm this coming year, and to $102mm in 2017-2018. Obviously this is a bonanza for any top player who had their contract expiring after 15/16.

The NHL contract may not have the same value as the NBA one, and who knows what the value might be in another 2-3 years when negotiations get serious. However just to give some perspective a $1 billion leap would add $over $16 million to the each team's salary cap under the current 50% formula. Phase in may need to be negotiated.

From a young hot shot player perspective, contacts expiring at the end of 20/21 might be best. Contracts longer than that might prove to be a bargain for the teams.

Newport got Barrie 4 of the remaining 5 years through 20/21 at a good price and maintained full flexibility for the post 20/21 years. Not bad.

Mad Brills*

Barrie would be a UFA the summer the nhl is locked out right?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hard to blame him when looking at the list above. Why would Barrie sign a 6x6m contract when the market price for him is without a doubt higher than that?

Karlsson (26, 3x6.5m)
Burns (31, 1x5.76m - about to get a decent raise)
Letang (29, 6x7.25m)
Subban (27, 6x9m)
Josi (26, 4x4m)
Giordano (32, 6x6.75m)

Barrie - just turned 25 yrs old, and easily the youngest of the bunch. The only guy who makes less than him is one who signed a steal of a contract 4 years ago. Honestly, I'm surprised he signed a 4 yr deal, however I guess when you haven't made much over your career, that that 22m will go a long way to securing your short/long term future if needed. Besides, as a 29 ur old UFA D who's a RHS, and can put up numbers like he can, he can easily get a very good contract at that time.

In the meantime this is a great contract for Colorado. Barrie gets to secure his short and long term future with this contract while setting himself up for a very good next contract.

Problem was that Karlsson, Burns, Letang, and Subban are much, much better defensemen and not comparable. He wasn't going to sniff that kind of money even on a long-term deal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The club got him at below market value for 6 years (2yr bridge + this contract), and Barrie gets paid when he's 28 and entering his prime. Pretty even for both parties, but it favours Barrie significantly now. Newport did their job.

If this contract favored Barrie significantly, he'd be getting paid something a lot closer to what his peers are - and he's not. The only thing this contract does is give him his UFA status and his long term financial security if ever needed (falls off a cliff, career ending injury, etc).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Problem was that Karlsson, Burns, Letang, and Subban are much, much better defensemen and not comparable. He wasn't going to sniff that kind of money even on a long-term deal.

Really? Because when I look at the stats, they look pretty comparable. While I'll grant that Karlsson and Burns are in their own tier offensively, the rest are not. If you want to say that they're better all around D, while in some cases I'd agree, I'd also point out that most of them are playing on top level teams with a ton of support (offensively and defensively).

Barrie - 158 games, 25 goals, 102 points
Subban - 150 games, 21 goals, 111 points
Giordano - 143 games, 32 goals, 104 points

If Colorado wasn't going to pay him 6m+ on a long term contract, then that's probably one of the reasons he didn't sign a long term deal.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really? Because when I look at the stats, they look pretty comparable. While I'll grant that Karlsson and Burns are in their own tier offensively, the rest are not. If you want to say that they're better all around D, while in some cases I'd agree, I'd also point out that most of them are playing on top level teams with a ton of support (offensively and defensively).

If Colorado wasn't going to pay him 6m+ on a long term contract, then that's probably one of the reasons he didn't sign a long term deal.

Subban's defensive game is vastly superior to Barrie's though. There's really no comparison. Add in a Norris Trophy and 2014 Team Canada nomination, and there really is zero comparison.

Giordano, perhaps. But Giordano, too, is better all around. I don't like the contract he signed, but he at this moment is a better player than Barrie is. The rest are not comparable whatsoever. Karlsson as you said is in his own tier offensively, Letang has morphed into one of the most complete defensemen in the league as has Brent Burns.

There is no sense comparing him to those players and their contracts, because they are not his peers. At least not right now. Barrie has played 3.5 years in the NHL so far, it's a far cry from being compared to all those players right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That's exactly right. Both are better all around defenseman.

Barrie's still a beast offensively, though. And still room for improvement since he is young still.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Here's where the comparison to other top scoring D breaks down.

SH TOI over the last 2 years -

Barrie - 55:51
Subban - 336:43
Giordano - 327:26
Karlsson - 155:01
Burns - 333:36
Josi -416:12
Letang - 356:49

Barrie has the 7th most SH TOI of any Avs D in the last 2 years, far behind such defensive studs as Nate Guenin and Nick Holden. So, either his defensive game needs serious work, or Roy is such an inept coach that he played defensive liabilities on the PK rather than his elite 2nd pairing RHD.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Barrie has the 7th most SH TOI of any Avs D in the last 2 years, far behind such defensive studs as Nate Guenin and Nick Holden. So, either his defensive game needs serious work, or Roy is such an inept coach that he played defensive liabilities on the PK rather than his elite 2nd pairing RHD.

Due to a fiber cut my internet is all wonky and slow as **** so I can't go look this up. But what exactly is the stat that shows how good one's "defensive game" is? Because while some are without a doubt better than others (I hate Karlsson's game in his zone w/o the puck), there's also a lot of coaches that make some really stupid decisions in terms of TOI. Not to mention that Guenin and Holden being such good all around D :sarcasm: that Roy likely had to decide where to use them that maximized their ability while allowing him to deploy Barrie in the most advantageous situation(s) possible. I mean is it not possible that while Barrie could be one of COLs top 4 PKers, that the difference between him and Guenin/Holden isn't all that different vs the vast difference between those 3 offensively and 5v5, and that by keeping him off the PK when possible allowed him to spend more time on the PP and at ES - which was to COL's advantage?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Or Holden wasn't as terribad as our fanbases likes to pretend he was.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

That will change with the new contract and the talks about being a complete two way defenseman. When you commit less dollars to a player you don't exactly have to play him in every situation but now his role is getting bigger

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
That will change with the new contract and the talks about being a complete two way defenseman. When you commit less dollars to a player you don't exactly have to play him in every situation but now his role is getting bigger

I expect Nolan Pratt to be a huge influence on Barrie. Barrie actually got worse under Farrish than he was during the Sacco era. Someone claimed he got better, but the numbers indicate quite the opposite.

If Pratt can do for Barrie what he's already done for Werenski...I'll be happy.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

or you don't use a Porsche to haul a moving trailer

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
UFA years are far less important in contract negotiations over the next couple of years than the year your client next becomes a free agent. It will be tied to the expiry of the US television contract with NBC at the end of 20-21.

Live Sports is far more valuable to TV now than when the last NHL US contract was signed in 2011.($200mm/yr). For those who don't follow the NBA, their long term TV contract just jumped from $930mm/yr to $2600/yr. As a result after 10 years of near stagnation the salary cap has been negotiated upwards from $70mm last year to $94mm this coming year, and to $102mm in 2017-2018. Obviously this is a bonanza for any top player who had their contract expiring after 15/16.

The NHL contract may not have the same value as the NBA one, and who knows what the value might be in another 2-3 years when negotiations get serious. However just to give some perspective a $1 billion leap would add $over $16 million to the each team's salary cap under the current 50% formula. Phase in may need to be negotiated.

From a young hot shot player perspective, contacts expiring at the end of 20/21 might be best. Contracts longer than that might prove to be a bargain for the teams.

Newport got Barrie 4 of the remaining 5 years through 20/21 at a good price and maintained full flexibility for the post 20/21 years. Not bad.

Good post bud.

I think this is a solid deal both ways. No over the top term or loot.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I expect Nolan Pratt to be a huge influence on Barrie. Barrie actually got worse under Farrish than he was during the Sacco era. Someone claimed he got better, but the numbers indicate quite the opposite.

If Pratt can do for Barrie what he's already done for Werenski...I'll be happy.

Do those numbers tell how many goals Barrie has actually been responsible for each year? Because no other numbers really matter. Other numbers are based on team play, having the puck and simply being on the ice. Barrie was a massive defensive liability under Sacco. One of the worst at defense in the league. He was so weak back then and just looked completely lost and constantly chasing the play. If his defensive numbers are worse now that's just proof that when looking at defense the numbers can be very misleading. Barrie's still below par, but he has made good defensive strides since Sacco.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Pretty good contract though if he continues to develop and gets even better the AVs might regret it when it comes to sign the next extension

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Nice deal.

Avs fans probably would've liked to see more term on the deal but Barrie is kind of an 'old' RFA and thinks he can earn more in his 30s. That should mean that he'll at least be a solid competitor these next 4 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad