Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Tyson Barrie (4 years, $5.5M AAV)

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Solid deal, fair price. In order to get to a $6M AAV it would have had to be around 6 years (to use more UFA years) and it appears that the Avs were not wiling to make that commitment at this time.

Congrats to Av and their fans, getting a key asset locked up for 4 years at a fair price (not an easy feat with Newport clients).

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Solid deal, fair price. In order to get to a $6M AAV it would have had to be around 6 years (to use more UFA years) and it appears that the Avs were not wiling to make that commitment at this time.

Congrats to Av and their fans, getting a key asset locked up for 4 years at a fair price (not an easy feat with Newport clients).

how does it appear like this?

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Glad that got wrapped up for the Avs fans. I would say that's fair for his skill set. He's still only 25 and a chance he can improve his D play.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I'd argue it was Newport who was not willing to make that commitment at this time. If the Avs could get Barrie signed for 6 years at 6M per season, I have to believe they would have pulled the trigger immediately.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not a good summer for NHL insiders. McKenzie, Dreger, among others said Barrie and Shattenkirk getting traded was a certainty. Said the draft would be filled with wild trades. The offseason was going to be bananas. Nope.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Not a good summer for NHL insiders. McKenzie, Dreger, among others said Barrie and Shattenkirk getting traded was a certainty. Said the draft would be filled with wild trades. The offseason was going to be bananas. Nope.

Typical off season then? Insiders always try to draw attention to their free agencies and draft shows....for ratings purposes.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Congrats Avs fans. Heck of a player and this AVV is a steal for what you're gonna get from him.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I feel like they do this every year. It seems every year some credible but not too credible insider says something like "one NHL executive told me he expects a lot of moves this summer," then everyone else just feeds off of it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

It's part of the landscape now, though. It comes with the era we live in. This technological era makes accessing information so easy, tweets can be sent all the time implying something is going to happen because an Insider heard something from a source. But even as little as 10 years ago, this would not be the case.

Rumours would usually be reserved for Saturday nights on HNIC, and it was rare to have the Insiders all sit down together and discuss the daily/weekly rumours. Now, it seemingly happens on a daily basis where things are being discussed. It's not surprising that a ton of things they say don't actually happen. Sometimes smoke is just that: smoke.

I wouldn't say this offseason has been quiet, though. Hall for Larsson was huge. Subban for Weber was huge. Stamkos re-signing in Tampa was huge. The announcement of Las Vegas as a franchise was huge. Coaches moving around was pretty big news. I'd say this offseason has been pretty exciting.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
It's part of the landscape now, though. It comes with the era we live in. This technological era makes accessing information so easy, tweets can be sent all the time implying something is going to happen because an Insider heard something from a source. But even as little as 10 years ago, this would not be the case.

Rumours would usually be reserved for Saturday nights on HNIC, and it was rare to have the Insiders all sit down together and discuss the daily/weekly rumours. Now, it seemingly happens on a daily basis where things are being discussed. It's not surprising that a ton of things they say don't actually happen. Sometimes smoke is just that: smoke.

I wouldn't say this offseason has been quiet, though. Hall for Larsson was huge. Subban for Weber was huge. Stamkos re-signing in Tampa was huge. The announcement of Las Vegas as a franchise was huge. Coaches moving around was pretty big news. I'd say this offseason has been pretty exciting.

Satellite hotstove was a can't miss intermission show at that point. Loved hearing all about the rumours before the internet really took over.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Correct me if I'm wrong but this deal buys only one UFA year, right?

I would prefer bigger term with longer AAV, I guess Barrie wants to get rich on his next deal. Probably that's the best they could negotiate. Good caphit for Avs while it lasts.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I love the caphit, sucks that it's really just buying us one year of UFA though. Although in 4 years time we'll have a much better idea whether he is a 7 million defenseman or not.

But ultimately it's great to have our "old" core locked up long-term, with a new crop of cost-controlled players looking poised to join this core and with a fair amount of money coming off the books next season. A core of Duchene, MacK, Landy, Soderberg, Barrie, EJ and Varly/Pickard; with Zadorov, Grigorenko, Bigras, Rantanen, Compher and later on Jost coming along is pretty impressive. Colborne has a good chance to make an impact. Soda is the oldest of the bunch and he'll just be 31 next season. And then there are prospects like Greer, Nantel, Mironov, Boikov, Lindholm, Martin, Grimaldi, Meloche and potentially Geertsen who have NHL upside. I would bet on at least 2 of those players becoming important players for the Avs in the near future.

Echoing what others have said, the last 2 off-seasons have been pretty good for Sakic. It rests of Roy and the players to figure it out now. We can no longer just point to Guenin and Holden for our woes. Our D should be much improved this season. Z and Bigras are a year older. Wiercioch and Tyutin are legitimate 3rd pairing defenders. Gelinas and Siemens will be pushing for that 8th D spot. We are still missing a top 4 dman, but we have 3 legitimate top 4, and 5 other guys, one of which has a huge opportunity to seize that spot. My bet is on Zadorov to make a big jump this season.

Anyways, glad that this situation is over and done with. We won't have to deal with a big contract re-signing until Duchene and Varly hit UFA in 3 seasons, though it's likely Varly is already gone by then. Rantanen will be an RFA that season as well. It's nice that the focus can now be an adding rather than fearing losing, as it has been lately with the Stastny, ROR and Barrie situations. Zadorov and Grigorenko will be RFA's next seasons, hopefully they show enough next season that we can sign them long term for cheap.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
how does it appear like this?

I'd argue it was Newport who was not willing to make that commitment at this time. If the Avs could get Barrie signed for 6 years at 6M per season, I have to believe they would have pulled the trigger immediately.

So you think it was Barrie and his agent who would have turned down $36M/6y? That means they would have turned down an additional $14M for 2 additional years ($7M AAV for those 2 additional years)? I guess it's possible but I wouldn't think that to be the case... it is only my assumption. :dunno:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So you think it was Barrie and his agent who would have turned down $36M/6y? That means they would have turned down an additional $14M for 2 additional years ($7M AAV for those 2 additional years)? I guess it's possible but I wouldn't think that to be the case... it is only my assumption. :dunno:

Hitting the UFA market at age 28 is better than doing it at age 30. Teams will fight each other to offer him that long 7 years contract. Players and agents try to maximise career earnings so unless something goes wrong with Barrie's play during the next 4 years it's a smart move financially. Leave some money on the table now in exchange for a shorter term and then cash in with that big money, long term, UFA contract.

I'm an AVS fan and I'm not that excited with this contract TBH.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Hard to blame him when looking at the list above. Why would Barrie sign a 6x6m contract when the market price for him is without a doubt higher than that?

Karlsson (26, 3x6.5m)
Burns (31, 1x5.76m - about to get a decent raise)
Letang (29, 6x7.25m)
Subban (27, 6x9m)
Josi (26, 4x4m)
Giordano (32, 6x6.75m)

Barrie - just turned 25 yrs old, and easily the youngest of the bunch. The only guy who makes less than him is one who signed a steal of a contract 4 years ago. Honestly, I'm surprised he signed a 4 yr deal, however I guess when you haven't made much over your career, that that 22m will go a long way to securing your short/long term future if needed. Besides, as a 29 ur old UFA D who's a RHS, and can put up numbers like he can, he can easily get a very good contract at that time.

In the meantime this is a great contract for Colorado. Barrie gets to secure his short and long term future with this contract while setting himself up for a very good next contract.

If COL had offered that (6x6m)? Yes, I think Barrie and his agent would have turned that down. I think it would have had to have been closer to 6.5m/7m for them to sign something longer then what he did.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pretty surprised that Colorado got him to sign this deal. IMO it really favors the club. God job Sakic and co.!

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Pretty surprised that Colorado got him to sign this deal. IMO it really favors the club. God job Sakic and co.!

The club got him at below market value for 6 years (2yr bridge + this contract), and Barrie gets paid when he's 28 and entering his prime. Pretty even for both parties, but it favours Barrie significantly now. Newport did their job.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

People really shouldn't read too much into what the media guys say around draft time. They always try to pump it up so they'll get more viewers. I generally do give McKenzie the benefit of the doubt though. He generally doesn't feed us same BS that all the others do.

Also, to be fair to all of them, the off-season isn't over. Even Shattenkirk and Fowler's agents said they were surprised they haven't been traded. They still could be before opening night.

Plus, not sure what qualifies an off-season as "bananas", but we did see two huge trades, one (Subban/Weber) of which was one of the biggest blockbusters in recent memory.

What irritates me more about the TSN crew is how they go completely MIA after free agency. I get it, it's the off-season, but it'd be better if all didn't just stop caring for several months. Johnson and Freidman have gained so much credibility to me because of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad