Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Tyson Barrie (4 years, $5.5M AAV)

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The avs low balled the newport(barrie) guys went way high. Just like they did with ROR. They've learned how to deal with new port with the options they had available. People said we over paid Mack. So I don't think it's all in Colorado's end that they should be labeled the bad guys. Objective thinking. You're looking through one side of the situation.

Colorado does everything wrong, all the time, trades, signings, hirings, firings... thats atleast what I gather from the HF logic of every other fanbase... :laugh:

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
I thought he was going to get 5.5 for 2 years, so 5.5 for 4 is a better deal for the Avs. I always thought it made zero sense for the Avs to let him get away. They need D, and IMO, he's the most valuable Dman they have.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
I wonder if both parties sensed the arbitration was going to rule around 5M, and signed a four year deal for more money because it keeps Barrie on the Avs for longer.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You might be right that the potential arbitration ruling may have swayed them, but one thing with arbitration is that people use the basic negotiation tactic of asking for an amount more favourable than what they actually wanted. Obviously, they still have to ask for something in the realm of reality, but wanting 5 and asking for 6 is realistic.

This deal is good for both sides. Colorado got Barrie locked up for four years, managed to buy a UFA year, and can still theoretically get a similar return for him to what they would have gotten this summer if they opt to move him in 3 years.

On the talk on why Colorado is so close to the cap, part of the reason is that their drafting wasn't great the last little while, and as a result they hadn't developed many complimentary players, so they've had to resort to UFAs (or trading for UFAs) like Soderberg, Stuart, Comeau, Iginla, Beauchemin, etc rather than promoting RFAs from within. I'm not saying all those contracts are bad, but when dealing with UFAs or pending UFAs that weren't brought along in your system, often times you have to overpay, and the odds of their being bad contracts increase.

I would completely agree that's why the Avs are spending to the cap. But the narrative that's constantly floated by national media is that they have an internal budget, are a budget team, can't spend to the cap, that's why they cheap out on their important players blah blah.

Good news is those vet overpayment contracts arent long and there will be near 12M coming off the books next summer. With the core locked up now the Avs can really go any direction they want with it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good contract for now, but his next one will be huge. They'll have to buck up for it when he becomes a UFA. Just like the Schwartz contract, and same agency.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I wonder if both parties sensed the arbitration was going to rule around 5M, and signed a four year deal for more money because it keeps Barrie on the Avs for longer.

Well he deserved at least 5.5 cash wise. avs are so god damn cheap.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Comparable caphits after 3 year ELCs

OEL = 5.5 mill x 6 years = 33 million, 1 UFA year
Seth = 5.4 mill x 6 years = 32.4 million, 1 UFA year
Myers = 5.5 million x 7 years = 38.5 million, 2 UFA years
Barrie = 2.6 mill x 2 years = 5.2 million, 5.5 mill x 4 years = 22 million; total 27.2 million, 1 UFA year

I'd say Barrie's contract is on par.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Comparable caphits after 3 year ELCs

OEL = 5.5 mill x 6 years = 33 million, 1 UFA year
Seth = 5.4 mill x 6 years = 32.4 million, 1 UFA year
Myers = 5.5 million x 7 years = 38.5 million, 2 UFA years
Barrie = 2.6 mill x 2 years = 5.2 million, 5.5 mill x 4 years = 22 million; total 27.2 million, 1 UFA year

I'd say Barrie's contract is on par.

Yup. Pretty solid deal, i would have loved to get more ufa years but i doubt we would get cap hit down to 5.5 in which case, we lose some flexibility this and next year. Now we have the entire core locked up and a ton of cap space to spend next off season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad