Confirmed Trade: [COL/TBL] Ross Colton for 2023 2nd round pick (37OA)

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Montreal paid for potential
Perfect example of how “Value” is interpreted differently by different franchises. Montreal paid double for Newhook over Colton. Colorado gets a much better player, who will contribute more, for half the cost…
Colton is a good 35-40 points middle six player.
Newhook has the potential to be a way more effective and productive player. The skills are there.
MTL betted on potential and paid more for it.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Oh christ, my bad. I forgot that MacFarland took over last year, I deserve all the ridicule for that blunder haha. Let’s just say I hate you guys for having such amazing management.
Haha deal.

Also don’t worry, people from the Avs fanbase still make the same mixup.

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
Great move by Colorado... was hoping Leafs could trade for Colton...

Montreal should have traded for Colton

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Colton is already 27, I don't think there's as much untapped potential as people think. He is a better fit than Newhook for the win-now avs though. Sakic is what other gms should look at and emulate.
30+ pts in 12 mins a night w/ the linemate mix of guys like maroon, raddysh, perry, joseph over the years.

his goal-scoring at 5v5 given his minutes is pretty strong. i think there's more there. will be interesting to follow.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Very happy with the trades so far.

Also really like Ross' low qualifying offer. That is also great news for us.
That offer was just to keep his rights. He can go to Arbitration and get more, if Colorado can't sign him to an extension.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Newhook spent plenty of time in the Avs Top 6 last year. He spent plenty of time playing with Mackinnon and Rantanen as well.

Nothing worked. Fwiw I'm not writing him off either. I still think he can turn into a solid middle 6 winger in the right situation. But he needs to start putting in more effort, more willingness to engage in battles and fight for his space on the ice. With the Avs he was always extremely soft and far too easy to knock off pucks, etc. His skating was never as good as the scouts believed and because of that he has had major issues creating space and separation for himself at the NHL level so far.

But again I do think in the right situation he could turn into a solid middle 6 guy. But that was never going to happen with the Avs.
See I like that take. I think change of scenery will help. I think the habs new program is taking players like Dach and newhook, who have looks in the nhl and molding them into something. Rather them picking an 18 year old unknown. Is this method pretentious? We will find out. But I find it exciting.cheers

Ps didn’t want to be the dude to derail this and turn it into a habs thread m. Sorry lol

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
30+ pts in 12 mins a night w/ the linemate mix of guys like maroon, raddysh, perry, joseph over the years.

his goal-scoring at 5v5 given his minutes is pretty strong. i think there's more there. will be interesting to follow.

Will he be above the 3rd line though with the Avs? Seems like he’ll be behind Mac & Ryjo

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
His numbers at lower levels suggest the opposite. Never been a big scorer at any level and I think the eye test explains why.
His Goals/60 last year is intriguing for a guy who might finally get top 6 minutes in Colorado with way better players.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Hate this because we're just going to give what we couldn't pay Colton to Jeannot. Colton produced very well in a 3rd line role, was worth giving a chance in the top 6.

Rooting for him. He has scored some clutch goals over the year and grinded his way up to the big leagues. Very easy player to cheer for.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Colorado’s management is next level. They can’t keep getting away with this.

Lehkonen-MacKinnon-Nichushkin
(Landeskog)-Johansen-Rantanen
X-Colton-X

Toews-Makar
Byram-Manson
Girard-X

Georgiev

Crazy good core in this cap world even with MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar now making the big bucks. I could see Landeskog making a timely return for next year’s playoffs too.

Girard still sticks out as a luxury who should be traded for a 2LW to me. AND they still have two firsts in this loaded draft??

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Avs dummied Montreal on the Newhook deal. Pretty disappointing to see them get 2 players better than Newhook for 31 and 37. Definitely rather have Colton.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Colorado with a masterclass in self-reflection.

Ran out of depth last season with all the injuries? Here's Johansen, acquired for free.

Newhook doesn't quite help them contend yet? Let's sell him for a massive overpayment to a GM who just missed out on a big ticket improvement, and use the proceeds to find an upgrade - from another cap-strapped team, of course.

Kudos to MacFarland. Good trades and excellent choices of trade partners equals success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad