Confirmed Trade: [COL/TBL] Ross Colton for 2023 2nd round pick (37OA)

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Avs pro scouts don't just look at points and age.
Oh tell them I said hi
There's way more to the game then points... And Newhook is awful at all the rest of the stuff.

Colton plays physical, he's gritty. And actual Center which Newhook never will be.
Mtl probably doesn’t need him at center. I’m not going to write off a 22 year old kid playing behind a top 6 filled with a mix of sure fire and potential Hof guys. I’ll reserve my opinion when the kids got a year in a habs jersey. I just find the bashing of this kid on the way out to be hyperbolic

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Colton is already 27, I don't think there's as much untapped potential as people think. He is a better fit than Newhook for the win-now avs though. Sakic is what other gms should look at and emulate.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Perfect example of how “Value” is interpreted differently by different franchises. Montreal paid double for Newhook over Colton. Colorado gets a much better player, who will contribute more, for half the cost…

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Very happy with the trades so far.

Also really like Ross' low qualifying offer. That is also great news for us.

You just know someone is going to dramatically overpay for Compher on the open market.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Avs pro scouts don't just look at points and age.
You get beers with them? Lol my post was meant to be cheeky at best. I just find the label of that trade as an absolute fleecing to be premature. I’m happy you guys swung it around to get a player you are happy with. Not every trade between us has to be the Roy trade lol

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oh tell them I said hi

Mtl probably doesn’t need him at center. I’m not going to right off a 22 year old kid playing behind a top 6 filled with a mix of sure fire and potential Hof guys. I’ll reserve my opinion when the kids got a year in a habs jersey. I just find the bashing of this kid on the way out to be hyperbolic

Newhook spent plenty of time in the Avs Top 6 last year. He spent plenty of time playing with Mackinnon and Rantanen as well.

Nothing worked. Fwiw I'm not writing him off either. I still think he can turn into a solid middle 6 winger in the right situation. But he needs to start putting in more effort, more willingness to engage in battles and fight for his space on the ice. With the Avs he was always extremely soft and far too easy to knock off pucks, etc. His skating was never as good as the scouts believed and because of that he has had major issues creating space and separation for himself at the NHL level so far.

But again I do think in the right situation he could turn into a solid middle 6 guy. But that was never going to happen with the Avs.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He was behind quite a deep Center group in TB, so hopefully he is still more center than wing, but I like this.
Numbers on the dot look good, but seems he doesn't do much for the PK which would have been a nice bonus for the Avs FWD group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad